Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 AC1900 Unresponsive After Firmware Upgrade

fire_ash
Aspirant

R7000 AC1900 Unresponsive After Firmware Upgrade

Hello All,

Unfortunately, now I have the reason to ask for help.

I have recently logged in into my router, which was functioning without any problem since the purchase, to discover that the FW Upgrade is avaiable. I have lounched the upgrade and left it at that. After some time (more than 10-15 minutes) I tried to connect to the router and all in vain. I then tried to connect via ethernet also without success. Having restarted (power cycling) the router, I noticed that after initial sequence, it goes to a state wher power LED (white) is continuously blinking. I have tried hard reset but no luck. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Alex

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
AhnFire
Guide

Re: R7000 AC1900 Unresponsive After Firmware Upgrade

I haven't tried myself, but here is a prior post. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

If you look at openrouter.com, there are plenty of people who brick their router by mistake when flashing to open source firmware, so they also have steps on trying to recover. I think it is possible to do it w/o using a serial USB cable, but I have never had to try it myself. Maybe also try the hard reset (stick a paper-clip in the hole for 6 seconds).

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
AhnFire
Guide

I haven't tried myself, but here is a prior post. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/SOLVED-Steps-for-debrick-unresponsive-R7000-...

If you look at openrouter.com, there are plenty of people who brick their router by mistake when flashing to open source firmware, so they also have steps on trying to recover. I think it is possible to do it w/o using a serial USB cable, but I have never had to try it myself. Maybe also try the hard reset (stick a paper-clip in the hole for 6 seconds).

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
fire_ash
Aspirant

AhnFire, Thank you! Having adjusted slightly your referenced solution, it did work (download FW -> tftp to router -> voila)! Interestingly all the settings remained unchanged, so I didn't have to re-set anything. Must have been interrupted firmware load, which interestingly completely ignores hard reset 😕 

Anyway, big thanks for help.

Message 3 of 8

@fire_ash wrote:

Interestingly all the settings remained unchanged, so I didn't have to re-set anything.

If a firmware flash does take, then it is often a good idea to reset to factory defaults. Especially of you see any post-flash problems. In this way you don't carry over settings that are not compatible with the new firmware.

In future, this might be useful:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

No need to resort to possibly dodgy third party trickery.

Message 4 of 8
fire_ash
Aspirant

Thanks Michael.

Actually, I did try mentioned by you method, but the tftp utility was always returning  error half way through upgrade. At the same time, when I  used standard win utility, it worked.  Odd.

Message 5 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi fire_ash,

Can you still ping the gateway IP address? If not then the router is busted.

Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi fire_ash,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 7 of 8
fire_ash
Aspirant

Hi James,

The initial advise to reprogram the router via tftp, helped to resolve the issue. It is now back fully operational. 

Thanks to all helping! Much appreciated. 

Alex

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7