Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 AC1900 always use HTTPS to Access Router

Portwey84
Virtuoso

R7000 AC1900 always use HTTPS to Access Router

Just wanted to throw this one out there if anyone has noticed a similar issue.

I've used Bitdefender Home Scanner over the last 12 months or so, and each and every time I've run the scans onboth 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi, the same thing happens every time, every single device returns a 'no risk found' except, the Netgear router itself, which has always returned a 'potentially at risk' marker. I've never been able to understand this but finally, today, I've discovered by accident, why and how to resolve it. I'd like to say at this point, I use the latest Firefox version for Windows in HTTPS-Only mode. I do get some warnings from some sites that HTTPS is not available and so I select the alternative method for direction to the page I want to look at.

So I went into the Netgear browser GUI and I was looking through the various settings until I clicked on Web Services Management. There under the headline: Local Mangement: is a tick box, Always Use HTTPS to Access Router. So I ticked it to enable, applied and did a re-run on the Bitdefender Home Scanner on both WiFi bands and suddenly, my router returns a 'no risk found' marker.

Interestingly though when I now click on the Netgear browser on my Firefox tab, I get the following warning:

www.routerlogin.net uses an invalid security certificate.The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.

Anyway, I now give that warning a good ignoring!

If anyone who has any more knowledge on what I've detailed above and can shed light on the positives or negatives of what I have changed, then I'd be glad to hear it.

Slightly concerning though that routerlogin.net appears to use an invalid security certificate and I wonder if Netgear know about this and whether or not they intend to fix it even if they do know?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7