Re: R7000 Address Reservation Issue - FW V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

R7000 Address Reservation Issue - FW V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

Setup->LAN Setup->Address Reservation appears to use "Device Name" as a key field; however, "Device Name" is the one field in the Address Reservation Table that is not necessarily unique - additionally, it is not always possible for the router user/admin to change the Device Name reported for a given device.

For example, I have a Windows 7 Laptop with a Gigabit Ethernet NIC, and a wireless radio.  I want to reserve two addresses:

172.16.0.205   Ed-PC   AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

172.16.0.206   Ed-PC   AB:CD:EF:01:23:45

'Ed-PC' is the name of the laptop that is set via the Windows Control Panel; it is not possible to assign different names per Network Adapter. BUT, if I reserve 172.16.0.205, then try to reserve 172.16.0.206, I get the message, "The input data is duplicated with current record, continue to overwrite?"  If I choose 'OK', the 206 entry replaces the 205 entry; if I choose 'Cancel', no entry is added, and I'm back at the 'Choose entry to add' screen.

Even worse, this same thing occurs with devices for which the router doesn't detect a "Device Name" (and therefore displays "--" in the "Device Name" field).  Again, this is something that the user has no control of, and in fact, it even happens with other Netgear routers, such as a WNDR3800 that I'm using as an Access Point, and would like to reserve an address for...currently I have to choose between that and one of my TiVo boxes, which also comes up as an unnamed device in the interface.

Either the IP Address or the MAC Address should be used as the key field in this table, as both will be unique within the table; the "Device Name" field must allow duplicate entries.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Consider using Ed-PC-LAN and Ed-PC-WLAN instead - makes things much clearer anyway.

Message 2 of 12

I don't believe that's possible; "Ed-PC" is the "Computer Name", which is set in the "System" Control Panel.  It is NOT tied to a particular Network Adapter.  The router then picks it up "automagically", it is not possible to change it in the Address Reservation table itself, either.  So while I would prefer that myself, I don't know of any way to do it.  And there would still be the issue of devices for which the router doesn't detect a "Device Name" (which it displays as "--").

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

The name is just local information on the router or the DHCP server, the name provided as part of the bootp/dchp process isn't taken into account - only the MAC address is relevant.

Message 4 of 12

I believe it *is* the name provided, but regardless, it is not *editable* on the router, either.  So there is no way to prevent it from using the same name for both interfaces, thus only allowing one or the other in the Address Reservation Table.  I agree it *should* be the MAC Address that is important...but that's not the behavior that I'm seeing.

Message 5 of 12

Just to be clear, there is no interface in the router settings that allows one to set Device Names; they are displayed in both "Attached Devices" and in "LAN Settings->Address Reservation", but you can't change them in either page.  And since in the case of the laptop, it matches what is set in Control Panel->System->Computer Name, I believe it does use the name that is provided by the client.

Message 6 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Strange, what you show must be an bug with the Web UI e.g. with your router model and firmware.

add address reservations same device name.PNG

Here on the R9000 (1.0.4.28) we can easily add more and more address reservations for devices with the very same name.

@Christian_R  would you mind to pick this up and forward the UI bug (probably existing on other routers, too) as per @x84HurstOlds2  original description? Adding more MAC reservations using the same name should not replace existing entries.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Hm, here on the R9000 we can edit all entries in the DHCP Address Reservation - both MAC and name can be edited.

Similar, Changing the Device Name is possible here in the R9000 Attached Devices.

Probably working because some nasty users complained long enough?
Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

It is ANOTHER screw up by NETGEAR, trust me @schumaku . Same problem on the R8000... NO EDIT BUTTON!!!

All three places too where you 'could' do this, ACCESS CONTROL list and ATTACHED DEVICES (2 places in the GUI). See capture on right.

I did manage to overcome this. Seems the mobile apps (both NETGEAR and GENIE) allow me to change them and they 'hold' when using the Browser Genie.

R8000 and R7000 seem to share some code probably. Someday maybe NG will get its support act straightened out... one can only hope.

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

It is ANOTHER screw up by NETGEAR, trust me @schumaku . Same problem on the R8000... NO EDIT BUTTON!!!

Never really and seriously field tested. Many of these minor "features" wer added on the R9000 after some senior community members (guess 8-) ) started to make a lot of noise.

Al these enhancements should make it to the complete product lines - however, lack of a common and modular source platform, it does not happen. 

@IrvSp wrote:

All three places too where you 'could' do this, ACCESS CONTROL list and ATTACHED DEVICES (2 places in the GUI). See capture on right.

Our beloved Attached Devices "feature" and it's network map representation in the Genie App - with random (read: different) results on the same network with QoS enabled (highly incomplete) vs. with QoS off (about OK now on the R9000). Some users still get _empty_ data there.

@IrvSp wrote:

I did manage to overcome this. Seems the mobile apps (both NETGEAR and GENIE) allow me to change them and they 'hold' when using the Browser Genie.

That's an interesting workaround!

@IrvSp wrote:

R8000 and R7000 seem to share some code probably. Someday maybe NG will get its support act straightened out... one can only hope.

Well, can't get rid of the impression that almost each model (leave alone the "special" Costco cost-down models) is designed and built like the average house in Switzerland - custom design, custom built, same problems, different problems, ... you figure it. Or why are the "basic" standard features making a Netgear router service platform (the httpd, SAMBA, AFP/Netatalk, FTP, DHCP, ... even the Web UI "add-ons" are poorly hacked on, usability and standardisation does not exist in the Netgears UI "designer" world) different, and why does each model show different issues with every new update? Because everything is manually glued around some wacky SoC sample Linux Kernel and drivers - and Netgear does spend a minimum of effort on that level.

Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku , there are more screwy things as well.

If you open the LAN SETUP on ADVANCED tab (in the R8000 at least and I suspect the R7000) you CAN edit a RESERVED ADDRESS. I know you can change the IP ADDRESS and that does (or did) work. Even changing the NAME works, or at least shows as changed on that page. However looking at the NETWORK MAP on BASIC tab doesn't show that change. Neither on the ATTACHED DEVICE tab that has 2 locations, BASIC and ADVANCED, ADMINISTRATION. Of course ACCESS CONTOL doesn't show it either.

Of course adding a RESERVED ADDRESS does allow you to edit the name, but I suspect that doesn't hold, in addition, there are differences between the MAP/ACCESS LIST and what is used for the name on the RESERVE entries. See screen capture on right showing both.

Netgear programming is the pits. I seriously doubt they do REGRESSION tests. I've written enough code, done regression testing, to know changes made to fix something can (and will) break something else. Netgear has proven that point with recent firmware releases.

Using 'common' code can be troublesome if you don't know what you are doing. Worse is trying to adapt common code when the h/w really isn't 'common'. Wind up doing a lot of 'IF' tests. Problem is if you get it wrong you might break something that was working unknowingly. Fix one firmware but break another built later.

Message 11 of 12

I had forgotten about the Mobile Apps; actually had the Nighthawk app on my phone (though not the latest version) but never really used it.  Interestingly, if I change the Device Names in the Nighthawk App, the new names show up in "Attached Devices"...I believe this is fairly new, as the "Attached Devices" page looks very different in V1.0.9_10.2.64 than it did in whatever version I had previously.

The new names do *not* show up in LAN Setup->Address Reservations, unfortunately.

That said, after reading IrvSP's post above, I went back to (quadruple?)-check...and discovered what I was missing before.  If I click the "Add" button to add an entry, I get a list of attached devices, and can choose one to add via a radio button to the left of each entry.  What I didn't realize is that there are three text boxes that can be accessed by scrolling down below the table - one each for "IP Address", "MAC Address", and "Device Name".  I *can* change the Device Name via the Text Box (have not tested how "sticky" these changes are, or whether they survive a reboot, etc... though curiosity will probably lead me to do so, especially for the MAC address)  So I apologize for not noticing that before.  It is far more obvious if you select an existing entry and choose "Edit" (which I did not do before, as I was starting from zero reserved addresses); that takes you to a page with only the three text boxes.

That said, I still think it should allow duplicate "Device Names", as long as the IP and MAC are different.  And it would be better if it picked up the names that the "Attached Devices" table picks up from changes made in the mobile app; though from the discussion above, I gather consistency isn't a hallmark of the product line =P.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E