Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 - Bandwidth issues

Wildfir3
Follower

R7000 - Bandwidth issues

I am having issues with my R7000 AC1900 router. Degraded bandwidth, inconsistent pings, packet loss, etc. I have 150 MBs download speeds on ISP. I have ran speed test.net and had results from as high as 160MBs to as low as 1.49 MBs for download speeds. This changes like the wind, very inconsistent. I play online games, and have pings from 60 ms to 3500ms. I have tried trace routes that have and have timed out to www.google.com and my game server www.mwomercs.com. I tried ping -n 20 8.8.8.8 and have had 20 of 20 packets delivered and as little as 3 of 20. I got fed up with it yesterday and tried to fix it. On my desktop, which is ethernet wired from R7000, I was getting around 4.5MBs download. At same time, I tried my wireless laptop, and got 120MBs download. I don't know why this happened.

I then took laptop into living room where modem and router is, cut off the wireless, and connect to router. Laptop wired got 4.5 MBs. I unplugged ethernet and turned on wireless then got 4.5. I tried again a few minutes later and got 120ish. Then took laptop and connected straight to modem, byassing router, and got 120 MBs. So I was thinking maybe bad ethernet cable. Tried new cable, from router and still only got 4.5. I took old cable and connected straight to modem and got 120ish. Long story short, I gave up, rewired everything as previous, returned to my desktop, and now desktop is getting 150MBs. So now laptop and desktop are both good. A little while later, desktop drops back to 4.5. I online game competitively, and the inconsistent jumping of bandwidth, ping, and packet loss makes me very unreliable as to should I lead target,trail target, or directly on target.

I tried QOS both enabled and not enabled. I am at wits end. I spent a lot of money to get a solid "Gaming Specific" router, pay for best ISP, and cannot utilize it. Is this a router issue? ISP issue? Combination of both? I am just so frustrated I don't know what to do to fix it.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: R7000 - Bandwidth issues

Since you tried the present lan cable from the computer to the modem and 120mb and you about 4.5mb when connected too its lan ports is it possible the lan may be bad on the router? The internet(yellow) port has to be working if you have full speed by wifi either the lan ports have a problem or the firmware I would try update to the latest firmware and do the reset from the above posting to see if the issue clears.

If it does not you could have a router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Wildfir3,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure to update it.

You can try to reset the router to factory default.

Message 2 of 4
William10a
Master

Since you tried the present lan cable from the computer to the modem and 120mb and you about 4.5mb when connected too its lan ports is it possible the lan may be bad on the router? The internet(yellow) port has to be working if you have full speed by wifi either the lan ports have a problem or the firmware I would try update to the latest firmware and do the reset from the above posting to see if the issue clears.

If it does not you could have a router.

Message 3 of 4
JamesGL
Master

Hi Wildfir3,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7