Mr_DJ
Apprentice

(R7000)Beta FW 1.0.5.60 Lost my "turn-off wireless signal by schedule" settings??

Is anybody else seing this by any chance?

I recently took the plunge and installed the latest beta firmware for my R7000 router.   And at first, everything I use the router for seemed to work fine.

However, yesterday I was surprised that I could still acces my wifi network after the time period thresshold specified had been surpassed.  Today I logged into the router and to my surprise discovered that my added scheduled setting had dissapeared.

And since I don't remember having rebooted the router or anything, I wonder if it's caused by a software bug in the router.  I don't know when this happended specifically, all I know is that it worked for at least 1 day, as I was trying to acces it the first day after passing the time where it should be off, and it worked. I have it set to off between 12:30am - 08:00 am.

I currently only use the 5GHz radio signal and only have this enabled.  So it is the 5GHz radio signal I am using the scheduled wireless-off setting on.

And yes, I have set the time/clock setting correct.  I didn't initialy, as I thought the router detected the timezone by itself. So I use the +01 setting and have the automatic daylight saving setting enabled.

Anybody can comment on this?  :-)

Message 1 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: (R7000)Beta FW 1.0.5.60 Lost my "turn-off wireless signal by schedule" settings??

did you factory default after the FW change if not I suspect that is the cause.

Message 2 of 13
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Re: (R7000)Beta FW 1.0.5.60 Lost my "turn-off wireless signal by schedule" settings??

Yes I did!  ;-)

Factory reset and started from scratch setting the router op!  ;-)

Working fine....except for my current worries, that it perhaps @forgets" my added setting to the scheduled "wifi-off" option!  ;-)

Message 3 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

when adding or editing a period or selecting a period if Apply is not clicked it will not work. Many have miss this in the past.

Message 4 of 13
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

I have now found out what was causing the deletion of my scheduled setting.  It is the same bug(I assume it is a bug) with the newer beta(v1.0.5.62xxxx).

The firmware erases the scheduled settings, when you change the RF output levels.  Like changing from 25% output to 50% output.

And so far, this is the only issue I have faced with the recent beta firmwares(though, should perhaps mention I have not been very versatile in my use of the router recently, so could easily overlook something that isn't working or working optimally....plus I am playing around with cyanomod software on my phones, which has issues on their own). Just to say, my statement shouldn't be taken as a 100% approval of this latest beta firmware. And I have only used the 5GHz network, so can't comment on the 2,4GHz....but performance wise, my 50Mb/50Mb fiber connection reaches the 50Mb speeds on the 5GHz network.

So, besides above issue, I have nothing to complain about. 

Message 5 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Mr_DJ

I am unable to reproduce the case. I have all the settings mentioned and it's giving the desired result. It follows whatever schedule I have for the wireless and I have also tried adjusting the Transmit Power Control.

Perhaps, you may need to reset your router again and reconfigure the settings.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 13
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

ElaineM> I have just captured this video for you, showing how it easily can be reproduced = https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Qw8wHixKjWY2w2MllfbnMyNTg/view?usp=sharing

And yes, I both hardware and firmware reset the router, it makes no difference.  My video actually starts right after doing a factory reset using the firmware option. But I usually use the option of pressing and holding the reset button for 20 secs, after a firmware update.

I should maybe add, when I entered the firmware today for the first time, my scheduled setting was actually already gone from yesterday evening.....without doing anything. It had just removed the scheduled setting by itself during the night it seems.....or perhaps when just loggin into the router??  I don't know and the troubeshooting process of trying every possible combinations to trigger errors feels a bit to exhausting to me, so I hope Netgears engineers will look into this, instead of me!  ;-)

Kind regards

Daniel J.

Message 7 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

standby still checking

Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ElaineM wrote:

Hi @Mr_DJ

I am unable to reproduce the case. I have all the settings mentioned and it's giving the desired result. It follows whatever schedule I have for the wireless and I have also tried adjusting the Transmit Power Control.

Perhaps, you may need to reset your router again and reconfigure the settings.

Just want to clarify you are using 1.0.5.60 correct? 

I ask because I am........................ and I was able to reproduce exactly what DJ described. In fact it's more HOSED than he reported. It deleted BOTH OF MY SSID's when I went back to try and change back to 100%

It also dropped my mode to 298 from 1300 WTF is that about? Suggest netgear give all their employees a vision examine.  

Message 9 of 13
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

searay> It is the same with the xx62 build.....and that was actually the version I used in the video clip!  ;-)

But what I would like to know, is if anybody else also experience the settings are deleted after running a couple days.  I have a feeling(not tested), it might be a 5GHz network problem. I seem to remember I did a quick test on the 2.4GHz regarding the dropped setting after altering the transmit power, and the settings was not dropped in that situation.  But don't remember if I had both networks enabled when doing that test and don't know if it should even matter.....all I know, is that there seems to be ways to trigger faults, dependent upon how and perhaps in which order you modify settings and it seems to random drops my settings.....so I gave up spending more time on it and made the video instead!  ;-)

I have actually recieved a PM response from Elaine, that my little video will be reviewed by their software engineer team!  So hopefully a fixed build will show up shortly!  ;-)

Message 10 of 13
Kang2
Aspirant

there is no 20/40 setting in the last version !!

Netgear is a really weird company. They just cant handle firmware update.

Message 11 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My 20 40 coexistence is right where it has always been, if we're still talking about subject 1.0.5.60. Suggest you factory reset.

Message 12 of 13
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

If anyone else also uses/needs the option to disable WIFI during night time or other timed periods, you can give this beta firmware from Netgear a try = https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Qw8wHixKjWVTdiTFI5aDhtY0k

This version is based on the 1.0.5.63 firmware

Have been running with this firmware for about a month now and have not experienced any issues.  Remember to resist the urge to upgrade the firmware, eventhough you are told that a newer fiwmare is released!  That is, if you wanna keep using the scheduled settings undtill Netgear get their act together and releases a public version with the fix included!  The latest 1.0.5.70 does not have this fix included.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements