R7000 Bridge Mode Issue

keenbak
Follower

R7000 Bridge Mode Issue

First I should state I have been in contact with Netgear support several times regarding this issue. They confirm that is is most likely an issue in their firmware. But I thought I would see if anyone here has any insight or success with setting up (2) R7000 in Bridge Mode.

Here is my issue. I purchased two R7000 a couple of weeks ago to replace my WNDR3700 and WN2500Rp setup hoping to improve performance. Setup of the main R7000 went flawless, and it is performing very well. Setup of the second R7000 in bridge mode also went flawless. Everything was working properly, and I was seeing a link rate of over 1000 Mbps between the two R7000. There are (4) hardwired devices connected to the R7000 setup in bridge mode, and initially everything was working great. Problem occurs after a day. All 4 devices loose internet connectivity. They still appear to have LAN connectivity, and the status of the bridge shows a link rate of between 877.5 and 1000 Mbps, and shows Internet Status "Good". None of the devices can connect to the internet at all (Netflix, Youtube, etc). This can be resolved with a reboot of the "bridge" R7000. Obviously it is not acceptable to have to constantly reboot the R7000. And Netgear has suggested I call mercy and just return the R7000 and use the WN2500RP I already have.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 9
zstokes
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Bridge Mode Issue

I believe I'm having a very similar problem. I also have two R7000s, one in bridge mode. Some devices connected via ethernet cable, traffic between the two R7000s is good. My Sonos ZonePlayers do appear to be connected in the local network, but they can't seem to get to the internet. A reboot does seem to fix it for a short while.
Message 2 of 9
cdent99
Aspirant

having the same issue as above - i have 2-R7000 routers. One in bridge. Everything was fine then the wireless devices stopped connecting to the internet. Rebooting resolves the issue temporarily.

using firmware version : V1.0.3.56_1.1.25

I did read somewhere that you should revert to firmware version: V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 to use the Bridge mode. I don't know of anyone who has done this with success.
Here:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24105/~/what-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-i-set-it-up-on-...

However would i revert to a problematic Firmware version. After all, is that not why new firmwares are released? To improve performance?
Message 3 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I would suggest you contact support team for you to be assisted.

Message 4 of 9
thomamueller
Aspirant

I have the same problem. The devices connected to the Router Configured as a bridge lose internet connection. I actually believe the connection to the base router is lost. I have NAS devices that cant be reached either. Your right, reboot the bridge router and i am good to go.

BWT i run two R7000 and down graded to 194 FW. I upgraded from two R6000 which were worse. I actually ran for 4 days this time before losing connectivity.

I did a chat session today and I got try MTU 1400 and report back.
Message 5 of 9
caseyse
Tutor

thomamueller wrote:
I have the same problem. The devices connected to the Router Configured as a bridge lose internet connection. I actually believe the connection to the base router is lost. I have NAS devices that cant be reached either. Your right, reboot the bridge router and i am good to go.

Same here. Have had to reboot my bridged R7000 every couple of days for seven months now. I now have my home automation system doing the reboot so I don't need to keep pulling the power. This hopefully will be fixed before they begin releasing their 802.11ad devices /s.
Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's a known issue guys. There are a few threads about it. Look for thread titles like "wired and wireless lose connectivity".
Message 7 of 9
thomamueller
Aspirant

Last firmware has appeared to fix two problems. Bridge mode works on latest firmware and connection stablity is fixed too. I have not lost connection since applying firmware.
Message 8 of 9
riesecanada
Tutor

Sorry thomamueller, but the Bridge mode is still not stable with V1.0.3.60_1.1.27. After a few days, newly connected wired devices are unable to communicate over the wireless connection. I have been working with Netgear support for nearly four months to get this addressed, but so far no luck. I have tested a beta firmware V1.0.3.61 with a fix that was supposed to help, but it did not work, either. To be continued...
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements