Highlighted
Sensei

R7000 Bridge Mode Loses Connection

After getting unreliable service with a Powerline adapter, I repurposed a Nighthawk R7000 to provide network to some IP security cameras where installing an ethernet cable is impractical.  The R7000 is in Bridge Mode connected to my Orbi RBR50 router.  Performance is fantastic (especially compared to the Powerline).  However, twice now the bridge has gone down.  The R7000 LEDs continue to blink as if everything is fine, but there is no connection.  The only way to reconnect is to power cycle the R7000.  I saw a discussion of this problem in this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-bridge-mode-instability-does-not-recon... 

Before loading 3rd party software on the R7000, is there any way to gather diagnostics that might indicate what is going wrong?  The router log is cleared when it reboots, so the log is no help.

Looking for advice.

Firmware is v1.0.9.88_10.2.88.  The R7000 does not detect newer firmware, but there appear to be two newer releases available for manual installation.  Release notes make no mention of this issue.

I have tried running a "ping monitor" on the R7000, but it creates too many false positives to be useful.

I am considering using a "smart plug" to power cycle the R7000 periodically, although that would create a "dead spot" in my security camera recordings.

Is there 3rd party firmware for the R7000 that seems to be more stable?

Thanks

I love my Orbi.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guide

Re: R7000 Bridge Mode Loses Connection

I have been running R7000 as a bridge for more the 5 years. It always had those issues. I don't think new fw will fix the issue. Sometime the devices behind the bridge actually will work just fine but to get to them will not work until router is rebooted. I have HTPC connected to bridge by wire, for example. After a while I can't RDP into it but everything works if I use it with TV connected to watch movies. I used help netgear troubleshoot and they gave me a debug version of the fw but that was long time ago. Netgear is not really interested in keeping old hardware current. They are only doing security fixes because they don't want to get sued.

I use Asus 68U with merlin fw as primary router. He still supports 68U like a new hardware. I wish that netgear would support a developer like merlin to help with netgear fw.

Netgear fw looks like Y2K. It should have been updated long time ago.

That is just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Sensei

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Bummer. One person mentioned flashing tomato and finding it more stable, but "moved on" sometime in the last year. I guess the next time it dies I will load the latest from Netgear, and if it dies again may try tomato. 

Right now I am looking for something to alert me when the link goes down. 

I love my Orbi.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guide

I have ran tomato on R7000 as I run freshtomato on my parent's Linksys routers( main and bridge) with great success. I do not recall why but I had switch back for some reason. I think it was because the HW accelaration was not supported on tomato fw. I do recall I had issues coming back to stock but again it was long time ago. You can post on linksys info site and see if people still have issues. I even tried merlin fw fork for Netgear developed by another dev. I don't know if that still has active development but there was a thread on linksys info site.

Good luck

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements