Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 - Can I turn off the 5G band?

mediaman09
Aspirant

R7000 - Can I turn off the 5G band?

I own the R7000, but currently do not have any 5G(802.1ac) devices so I assume there is currently no advantage for this band for me at this moment. Correct?

Is there a way to runs off the 5G band on the R7000??

All I see is the option to disable SSID broadcast, but I dont see an explicitly radio on/off selection.
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mediaman09
Aspirant

Ahh found it under Advanced Settings. Was looking under the Advanced tab. Minor item they should address - poor UI to have two different sections both called Advanced.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Correct . AC only uses 5Ghz

Have you look advance wireless section? Usually able to disable it
Message 2 of 12
mediaman09
Aspirant

Ahh found it under Advanced Settings. Was looking under the Advanced tab. Minor item they should address - poor UI to have two different sections both called Advanced.
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It should be in the Advanced Wireless Settings page.
Message 4 of 12
mediaman09
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Correct . AC only uses 5Ghz...

Thanks. While I don't have an AC devices, I guess I need to also ask myself if I have any 5Ghz devices N devices.

The only maybe would be my ipad2.... I know it's N but don't know if its 2.4 or 5Ghz. Lots of mixed messages on this point when googled.

As well, I currently get about 40Mbps on the ipad2 on the 2.4 Ghz band, so I don't know if I can do much better than that with 5 Ghz,,,,although in theory 5 Ghz would get me less interferences , noise etc.
Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

mediaman09 wrote:
although in theory 5 Ghz would get me less interferences , noise etc.

And quite a bit less range. Keep that in mind.
Message 6 of 12
gerick
Aspirant

My experience has been 5 GHz is faster speed, but less distance.
Message 7 of 12
Redtulips7
Luminary

mediaman09 wrote:
I own the R7000, but currently do not have any 5G(802.1ac) devices so I assume there is currently no advantage for this band for me at this moment. Correct?

Is there a way to runs off the 5G band on the R7000??

All I see is the option to disable SSID broadcast, but I dont see an explicitly radio on/off selection.

Why you want to turn off 5G Band?:confused:Why you have bought this Router for?This is an AC Router therefore use 5G Band!!!or you thought it looks cool?never mind......:D:D:D
Message 8 of 12
mediaman09
Aspirant

Correct. You got me. I bought cuz it looked cool. No other reason. It wasn't to replace the garbage I was using before. It wasn't for the fast processor, I wasn't for the greater stability or higher reliability or longer range or faster speed or better support that my old failing router.. It wasn't for new devices I may be buying shortly. It wasn't for flexibility or the hundred other features and benefits.. You figured it out, it was just cuz it looked cool.

We done?

If I have no AC or 5ghz N devices, there is no need to keep the 5 Ghz band on. Still determining if my ipad2 is 5 Ghz or not - that would be the only reason to keep it on at this time for my current setup.
Message 9 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

The only maybe would be my ipad2.... I know it's N but don't know if its 2.4 or 5Ghz. Lots of mixed messages on this point when googled.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP622?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Support both
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

iPad2 will only support upto 300Mbps so I guess you been spend just for the look and like to stay on single band 2.4Ghz would be adequate.

This is your decision to make and not others.. 🙂
Message 10 of 12
mediaman09
Aspirant

This topic is extensively addressed here : http://wifinigel.blogspot.ca/2013/03/how-fast-is-my-ipad-on-wifi.html

Couple of interesting points.

1) The 300 Mbps spec is very misleading in practical terms . Eg: "Unfortunately, if the wireless client being used (in our case an iPad) supports only one spatial stream instead of 3, we are immediately down to a top speed of 150mbps (450/3) for our data. Also, if we cannot support the 40Mhz double-width WiFi channel, then we have to half our top-speed yet again. (150/2 = 75mbps)."

2) ""there is no improvement using a 40Mhz channel for the iPad 2, as it does not support 40Mhz channels/channel bonding so can never go beyond a 20Mhz channel width)"

The above, combined with the more limited range, leads me to the conclusion tthat 5 Ghz does not offer any appreciable advantage for an ipad2.
Message 11 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

And think about if your internet is nothing faster than 150Mbps would make no benefits unless you are looking to some LAN to LAN sharing over range is less
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7