Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 - Cannot access some websites and LAN port is amber

Psychosis
Aspirant

R7000 - Cannot access some websites and LAN port is amber

New to this community. Just bought an R7000 a few days ago and set it up with the app on my phone. My Xbox 1 works fine hard wired, the wireless and hard wired laptop works fine to an extent. I cant go to some websites like ebenefits.gov and other .gov sites. Also when looking at my router the ethernet port where my laptop is connected blinks amber and i dont know why. Im sure there is a thread for this, so if someone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. Thanks.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions

... and browsers are getting pickier and pickier about these things.

How about using the Advanced button? This will usually let you override the warning and get you into the site.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18

All Replies
lepa71
Guide

Run away. GO return it and get yourself an Asus 68U, load it with RMerlin fw and be happy with it. Run away from NG firmware.

Message 2 of 18
microchip8
Master

Amber on ethernet ports means the port is operating at 10 or 100 Mbps. If the color is white, then it operates at 1 Gbps. Most likely your lappy has a 100 Mbps port, no?

As for not being able to reach some sites, try changing DNS servers - you can try the Google ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Message 3 of 18
IrvSp
Master

Besides what @microchip8 posted, it could also be the cable being used, must use at least a CAT 5 for 1Gbs.

Website problems can be due to the DNS used which is why the Google ones were suggested but it could also be where you are possibly? What is the ERROR MESSAGE you got when you tried to go there? That might give a clue why if the Google DNS's don't work? Possible site problem too, when I just tried to go there my ISP put up this page, http://www.dnsrsearch.com/index.php?origURL=http%3A//ebenefits.gov/&r=&bc= and it implies a DNS error, or possibly site down? Possible you had the wrong URL? This one might be the correct one, https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage?

Message 4 of 18
Psychosis
Aspirant

I used a cat 7 first and it was still amber, now it has a cat 5e connected, still Amber.

Message 5 of 18
Psychosis
Aspirant

I get this error

Message 6 of 18
Psychosis
Aspirant

Its an older laptop so it probably has the slower port on it.

Message 7 of 18
microchip8
Master

looks like a certificate issue of the website. I doubt it has anything to do with the router, unless you're using VPN

Message 8 of 18

@Psychosis wrote:
I used a cat 7 first and it was still amber, now it has a cat 5e connected, still Amber.

That is a strong indicator that your laptop has an Ethernet port that works at 100 Mbps.

Apart from getting a new laptop, there isn't much that you can do about that.

How fast is your internet?

Message 9 of 18

... and browsers are getting pickier and pickier about these things.

How about using the Advanced button? This will usually let you override the warning and get you into the site.

Message 10 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Actually you can as long as the laptop has a USB port. Disable the on-board network adapter and using a USB 1Gb network Adapter (or wireless).

Message 11 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@Psychosis wrote:
I get this error

That is not the problem you reported with the .GOV sites. That been resolved by either switching DNS's or using the correct URL and this is a different problem?

Message 12 of 18

@IrvSp wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Actually you can as long as the laptop has a USB port. Disable the on-board network adapter and using a USB 1Gb network Adapter (or wireless).

I did think about that but wondered if there is any point. Local stuff would certainly benefit but unless they have fast broadband 100 Mbps, there won't be much to be gained by this when it comes to internet speeds.

Hence my question about internet speed.

Message 13 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

I did think about that but wondered if there is any point. Local stuff would certainly benefit but unless they have fast broadband 100 Mbps, there won't be much to be gained by this when it comes to internet speeds.

Hence my question about internet speed.

It really depends on what one does on a LAN. For Internet, sure, not worth it unless the ISP speed it probably over 100Mbps (there is overhead and actual real life speed would be lower) but there are other LAN uses that are not related to ISP speed. Such as PC to PC access, USB Router device access, wireless printing, etc. In those cases upgrading the LAN connection 'could' make sense. Less than $20 on Amazon.

Message 14 of 18
Psychosis
Aspirant

200mbps here.

Message 15 of 18
Psychosis
Aspirant

I had to go into the tools menu in the browser and mess with a couple security options. It all works now. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Message 16 of 18
Duka2
Aspirant

im having a problem resetting to factory settings.  i've held the reset button for 10sec, and with ethernet cable enter www.routerlogin.net  and it will not accept admin and password.  then it asks for the serial number and when i enter it, it says it doesnt match.  i log into my netgear account and it shows the same serial number??   what do i do now?  help anyone

Message 17 of 18

@Duka2 wrote:

what do i do now?  help anyone

Probably start a new conversation.

You have joined in on an older discussion, so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

This is especially important when you join a conversation marked "solved". The official team has an even better reason for moving on to new queries.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7