R7000 DHCP Lease Time/ Dropped Connections Even with LAN Cable Periodically

GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

R7000 DHCP Lease Time/ Dropped Connections Even with LAN Cable Periodically

I'm trying to figure out why some (but not all) IP cams I have lose their connection from time to time and I believe the issue is my R7000 router's admin of DHCP lease time. I have reserved IP addresses (not static) for some of the cams. Even one which is connected by LAN cable lost its connection. A simple reboot of the cams fixes them. I think the problem is when the DHCP lease is renewed the cam does not always reconnect for whatever reason. I have read the R7000 does not allow lease time to be set. I believe its hard coded for 1 day to renew. Is my logic correct in determining why the cams disconnect sometimes? In many cases, the cam is so close to the router its hard to imagine its due to a weak WIFI signal and again one of the cams is even connected via LAN cable (cam via LAN to Netgear EX6200 range extender). Any thoughts?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
netwrks
Master

Re: R7000 DHCP Lease Time/ Dropped Connections Even with LAN Cable Periodically

Both the router and camera's could be the problem. I would set all the camera's with a static IP Address outside of your DHCP scope range, and see if that changes how they operate. Being consistent with how your devices are configured takes out the guess work. Although wifi is a great idea, it is not the answer for all devices.

If was using camera's I would ensure the camera's are cabled up with Ethernet, as opposed to wifi. Consider them critical devices. Entertain using an unmanaged switch for the camera connected to the extender. If the extender supports AP mode, then configure it as an AP. Range extender's look good on paper, but typically cause grief. Any device that connects to an extender take a 50% throughput penalty, which could create timing issues, for time sensitive devices..

Message 2 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 DHCP Lease Time/ Dropped Connections Even with LAN Cable Periodically

@GearNetRouter wrote:

... In many cases, the cam is so close to the router its hard to imagine its due to a weak WIFI signal and again one of the cams is even connected via LAN cable (cam via LAN to Netgear EX6200 range extender). Any thoughts?

Being connected via LAN to a range extender doesn't count as being wired.  It's still wireless to the R7000.  Try a real wired connection to the R7000, even as a experiment to determine if the problem happens only with Wi-Fi.

The DHCP lease time is hard-coded to 1 day on the R7000.  It is the responsibility of the device to renew its own lease.  If the lease is expiring, it's the device's fault.  Switching to static IP addresses (i.e. manually configured on the cameras), as suggested by @netwrks, can avoid this problem.  Hopefully, this is all this is needed and there is nothing else more serious going on, like the camera crashing.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements