Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 DLNA

thevines
Guide

After getting DLNA working after dropping back to .64, I then updated to .88 based on the recommendation in this thread that the database will still be there and DLNA is in the background.  But, no DLNA so it’s back to .64 until NG fixes this issue, or a security update is critical, or I’ll go another route.  I know NG needs to update, etc but sometimes the maxim of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ springs to mind.

Message 26 of 40
IrvSp
Master

@mkonstantin wrote:

Here is current workaround:
1. Rollback to lats verison of firmaware supporting it
2. Rebuild ReadySHARE sqllite database and keep MediaServer enabled
3. Upgrade to actually latest version of firwmare
and this workaround sucks!

See the first post on the next page by @thevines. Your work-around was tried and didn't work? Wonder why it worked for you and not him? Maybe there was something else that had to be done? Different OS version or using a different browser?

Odd that it worked for you and not that user?

Message 27 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

I must be a lucky one 🙂
I was out for some time so had to time to test statud of DLNA engine after recovery with .42 and later repaved with .88 but i may try tonight

Message 28 of 40
pdajustin
Aspirant

I have the same issue with DLNA, it has affected Time Machine backup.

If this is not fixed with the next FW update i will be looking to replace my Netgear router with another brand.

Not happy customer

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 29 of 40
schumaku
Guru

@pdajustin wrote:

I have the same issue with DLNA, it has affected Time Machine backup.

Both features were removed on recent R7000 firmware updates - DLNA without any warning (!!!), Time Machine support as per a sort term notification.

@pdajustin wrote:

If this is not fixed with the next FW update i will be looking to replace my Netgear router with another brand. Not happy customer

If you need these two features, you might have to consider to roll-back to older firmware builds. The price is high: No security updates! For now Netgear does only provide firmware updates including support for Netgear Armor (BitDefender). @AbhayB please: It's hardly acceptable removing key features printed on the box, used for promotion and marketing, allowing to charge for a higher price ...

Message 30 of 40
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

For now Netgear does only provide firmware updates including support for Netgear Armor (BitDefender). @AbhayB please: It's hardly acceptable removing key features printed on the box, used for promotion and marketing, allowing to charge for a higher price ...

Kurt, I predict other routers soon will suffer the same fate, unless this was a 'space' consideration, something had to go to make room for other things, from fixes to new 'features'. Unfortunately, end-users will vote by purchasing other routers. Too late as 'we' have already 'spent' our money and NG has it. Maybe later, when sales fall, they might get  the message. Too late for many, but I see other new h/w, like ones from ASUS not having these features either. Still have the USB port(s), but just for storage, no other functions. NAS sales should start increasing I assume.

Netgear either has no clue what it has done, or it is part of the future planning, we might never know.

Message 31 of 40
HawgWyld
Aspirant

Wow. I bought one of these last night because it was $50 off at Office Depot. However, the lack of DLNA is a deal killer and this one is going back to the store. The most annoying thing about the DLNA problem is that the back of the box clearly states the router has a built in DLNA server and, well, that's just not the case.

I suppose the solution to this problem will work, but I'd rather not fool with rolling back firmware and such -- I'd like the router to just work as advertised.

Lesson learned -- if something is on sale, there's probably a good reason for that. I'll spend a few extra bucks tonight and get something that actually works.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 32 of 40
IrvSp
Master

@HawgWyld wrote:

Wow. I bought one of these last night because it was $50 off at Office Depot. However, the lack of DLNA is a deal killer and this one is going back to the store. The most annoying thing about the DLNA problem is that the back of the box clearly states the router has a built in DLNA server and, well, that's just not the case.

I suspect the router DID have the DLNA support. However during setup you probably UPDATED the f/w. That took out DLNA support.

@HawgWyld wrote:

I'll spend a few extra bucks tonight and get something that actually works.

When you find that one, please post here? I've been looking too. I have not found one (want a Tri-Band) yet. Also, other vendor forums are loaded with problems just like here. I'd like to buy something better supported when I do as well.

One problem I see is that Router vendors seem to be switching to 'built-in Internet protection'. That is why DLNA was removed (along with other features) so Armour could be included, which is a yearly money stream for NG. Almost all vendor new products are like that, and I fear even if you do find one that does support DLNA, in the future that might disappear as well.

I'm starting to think if DLNA and other features are important to you, a true NAS is the only way to go?

Message 33 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

you may want to take a look at AX8 AX5700 at costco. it's on $80 off sale right now but still runs about $220 apiece.
Saying that not sure what revision of firmware they run and how DLNA works.
Just because of DLNA issue i'm still running my R7000 on rev xxx.42 

Message 34 of 40
HawgWyld
Aspirant

I actually wound up with a Linksys Max-Stream AC1900. Picked it up on sale for $130 at Office Depot and it works like a charm. Took less than 20 minutes to set up and -- better still -- the DLNA server wasn't wiped out when I updated the firmware (bonus!) Couldn't be happier.

Message 35 of 40
IrvSp
Master

@HawgWyld wrote:

I actually wound up with a Linksys Max-Stream AC1900. Picked it up on sale for $130 at Office Depot and it works like a charm. Took less than 20 minutes to set up and -- better still -- the DLNA server wasn't wiped out when I updated the firmware (bonus!) Couldn't be happier.

I still want a Tri-Band, and I've found an Archer C4000. Still has the Media server. Also some other nice features. However reviews say midling 5Ghz performance. It does come with Trend Micro built-in even as well as link aggregation. Cost more, $199 at Office Depot. I am reluctant though, if you look at the TP forum they resemble here.

Still searching.

Message 36 of 40
myersw
Master

One problem I see is that Router vendors seem to be switching to 'built-in Internet protection'.

Asus routers have had Trendmicro support for several years now for Internet security. No charge unlike Armor. 

Message 37 of 40
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

One problem I see is that Router vendors seem to be switching to 'built-in Internet protection'.

Asus routers have had Trendmicro support for several years now for Internet security. No charge unlike Armor. 

Yes, they are. However NG for whatever reason had to drop features to include Armour. TPLink A20 (C4000) has "Home Care" by Trend Micro but it is not a full feature deal. Only A/V (Antivirus powered by Trend Micro TM protects every device on your network. It provides malicious content filtering and intrusion prevention, as well as a quarantine for infected devices. An active database protects every connected device from external threats.) and supposedly blocks access to 'bad' sites. The 'Free Trial' is 3 years as well... not a few months.

I did get email from ASUS on its latest router a few weeks ago, built-in security protection, but no other features that NG removed... USB drive is only a 'data' holder. Forgot the model, but it wasn't cheap.

There seems to be 2 C4000's as well, an older C4000 and the newer one also called the A20. I can't seem to find a comparision on them either? Best one seems to be this, https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/167246. Depends on where you bought it???

Some reviews are good, others not. Looking at reviews on Amazon, useless. They lump 5,200+ reviews for ALL TP-Link routers for any TP-Link router, and no way to just see specific models.

So far, from what I can tell ONLY Netgear has removed function/features from routers to introduce Armour, no other router maker and done this to any model (I could be wrong). However some never models from ALL vendors do not seem to have the same features NG removed on them if they have 'security' included. Some are less 'secure' than others as well and some include device based solutions you get with the router.

I'm on the fence with replacing the R8000, but I'm accepting that at some point I'm going to have to do it or get a true NAS.

Message 38 of 40
HawgWyld
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

@HawgWyld wrote:

I still want a Tri-Band, and I've found an Archer C4000. Still has the Media server. Also some other nice features. However reviews say midling 5Ghz performance. It does come with Trend Micro built-in even as well as link aggregation. Cost more, $199 at Office Depot. I am reluctant though, if you look at the TP forum they resemble here.

Still searching.

Luckily, I don't need a tri-band router (not yet, at least). The one I found does everything I need and I've got some room for growth. The Nighthawk would have been great had the DLNA still worked. That is a shame.

Message 39 of 40
IrvSp
Master

@HawgWyld,

I thought more about switching. Was really torn. Netgear routers had been good for me. However in the last 18 months it has been one thing after another. So I wanted to switch now. I had some problems with SMB 1 (like we all did) and spent almost a year insisting that the problem was NOT MS's but the lack of proper coding on NG's part. Last Feb., possibly to get rid of me, NG offered to buy back my R8000, but NOT the R7000 that has the same problem. I declined after looking all over and determining the SMB problem is on most routers that are older models. Some newer ones did have the proper calls made so SMB 1 was not required but they generally were the gaming routers and more expensive. Little did I know NG would pull this stunt.

I discovered Amazon selling the Archer C4000 A20 with a 20% off coupon so I ordered it. If it works, great, if not, I'll return it (supposedly free returns). Interestingly it is out of stock, due back in this week...

If it works OK, I'm "otta here"!!!

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7