Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Does not Detect Ethernet Cable from Sleeping PC

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R7000 Does not Detect Ethernet Cable from Sleeping PC

When my windows 10 PC is sleeping, the light on port #1 (where it is connected) typically is lit up an amber color.  Within the last week, when the connected PC goes to sleep, port #1 will not light up at all.  From what I can tell, that means that the sleeping PC is not being seen by the R7000.  How can I fix this?  When the PC is sleeping, the lights on the network port on the back of the PC are all off.   I am not sure that this was always the case.  

R7000 Firmware: V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

Windows: Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Like many of you, I had a windows 10 update installed recently, could that have caused the issue?  I need to have the PC seen so I can wake it remotely.  Port is working find on the R7000 other than this.  

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Does not Detect Ethernet Cable from Sleeping PC

Are you sure about that one? What site is that at?

I found drivers for the at the REALTEK SITE, I'd use those.

What exactly is your network adapter and what chipset does it use? Is it the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"? If it is, check my screenshot. I'm on Win10 Home, V1809, and my NIC is actually older and works (it is NOT in use now) fine as of about 5 weeks ago, and had worked fine wih the R7000 I had connected about 10 months ago.

If you open up SYSTEM INFORMATION (can search for it by entering system on the search line for Siri) and then select NETWORK, then ADAPTER you'll see a list of them depending on how many you have. My NIC has this info:

Name [00000001] Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Adapter Type Not Available
Product Type Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_05B71028&REV_0C\010000000000000000
Last Reset 1/27/2019 5:43 AM
Index 1
Service Name rt640x64
IP Address Not Available
IP Subnet Not Available
Default IP Gateway Not Available
DHCP Enabled Yes
DHCP Server Not Available
DHCP Lease Expires Not Available
DHCP Lease Obtained Not Available
MAC Address Not Available
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt640x64.sys (10.28.615.2018, 1.09 MB (1,139,424 bytes), 7/29/2018 10:32 AM)

Suspect yours would be the same as this.

When I look at the date of the driver's timestamp on the last line, it is 7/29/2018. It could very well be the same one on the RealTek site as it would be included in that package because the RealTek site has the SAME date? Of course the real Driver is that last line. Possible MS installed it along with V1809 even? Just need the .SYS file possibly?

Check what you have before trying to update, but if you do, get it off the RealTek site, much safer. Quite possible if you do try to install it it could even tell you you are up-to-date even?

Did you check all the properties for Power Management as well as the Power Plan?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

When my windows 10 PC is sleeping, the light on port #1 (where it is connected) typically is lit up an amber color.  Within the last week, when the connected PC goes to sleep, port #1 will not light up at all.  From what I can tell, that means that the sleeping PC is not being seen by the R7000.  How can I fix this?  When the PC is sleeping, the lights on the network port on the back of the PC are all off.   I am not sure that this was always the case.  

R7000 Firmware: V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

Windows: Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Like many of you, I had a windows 10 update installed recently, could that have caused the issue?  I need to have the PC seen so I can wake it remotely.  Port is working find on the R7000 other than this.  

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure this might be a Windows 10 settings problem.

When a PC 'goes to sleep', some devices, like display, hard disk, etc., can also be turned off, especially in a laptop to save power. The keyboard and mouse are not so they can 'wake-up' the computer. One of those device is the NETWORK ADAPTER. The router can tell if there is a cable in its port, and show AMBER if there is one. When it is 'powered', it will be WHITE if it is a GB connection or AMBER if 100MB. A 1GB adapter when powered off will only show as AMBER on the ROUTER at that time.

Some reading on this if you are not familiar with how it works or what it does:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/difference-between-sleep-hybrid-sleep-and-hibernation-in-windows-7

https://techjourney.net/what-is-hybrid-sleep-and-differences-with-basic-sleep-mode-in-windows/

https://www.sysmiks.com/sleep-hibernate-hybrid-sleep/

That last link explains how to change things. However there is a per device setting as well. Using Device Manager look at your Network devices and double click on each one. You should see a POWER MANAGEMENT tab and on that tab a box to control if the device should be turned off or not to save power. It might be on, so uncheck it. This will keep it on and connected.

Still not done if the network adapter is a USB device. In that case you will need to disable USB in the POWER SETTINGS for the PC and also might need to fine the USB controller and port it is on and make sure it stays on.

Lastly, this could be the device driver too. I've got 2 USB Network Adapters. One has NO PROBLEM coming out of sleep. The other (on a different W10 PC) doesn't always come back immediately. The Connectiod for the wireless network on the Systray will show no bars. Sometimes it is OK and connected by the time the display wakes up (I'd say most of the time) but when that doesn't happen there is a delay, 1/2 minute or so before it connects. Then occasionally it just doesn't connect. It does see the SSID and it has to be connected manually.

It is CLEARLY the Device (more likely the driver) as I've had that device on both PC's (W10 home and pro, both under V1803 and 1809) and it does the same thing. The device has the RealTek 8812AU chipset. Waiting for a new driver that might fix this. Last one they put out was for V1803. I've got 3 drivers for this device, not including the one that MS installs which has more problems.

I'd check the PC vendor, or the Network device vendor and see if they have later drivers...

Message 2 of 14
IrvSp
Master

By the way, if this just happened with the .60 release f/w, I'd rollback to the .42 release. Many people have problems with the .60 release. Netgear even partially pulled it (just the automatic d/l location, not the Support site for some odd reason).

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I went back to .42.  That did not work.

I have turned off all boxes on the Power Management tab.  These were previously on.  

Screenshot 2019-01-27 17.01.17.png

Message 4 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the windows default driver.  It looks like there is an udpate at:

https://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/

The highlighted one, is that correct for Windows 10 and this network adapter?  I don't have a usb adapter.  Screenshot 2019-01-27 17.22.52.png

Message 5 of 14
IrvSp
Master

Sorry, will have to wait to see those images... a Moderator must approve them. Might not be available until tomorrow sometime.

In the future, if you have a single image you want to post, use the BROWSE button on the lower left, locate the file, and then it will appear with your post on the righthand side for all to see.

Message 6 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here is the picture in my post above.

It is hard to tell what driver is needed. Maybe they are universal?? I was looking for a model number or something to match up...
Message 7 of 14
IrvSp
Master

Are you sure about that one? What site is that at?

I found drivers for the at the REALTEK SITE, I'd use those.

What exactly is your network adapter and what chipset does it use? Is it the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"? If it is, check my screenshot. I'm on Win10 Home, V1809, and my NIC is actually older and works (it is NOT in use now) fine as of about 5 weeks ago, and had worked fine wih the R7000 I had connected about 10 months ago.

If you open up SYSTEM INFORMATION (can search for it by entering system on the search line for Siri) and then select NETWORK, then ADAPTER you'll see a list of them depending on how many you have. My NIC has this info:

Name [00000001] Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Adapter Type Not Available
Product Type Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_05B71028&REV_0C\010000000000000000
Last Reset 1/27/2019 5:43 AM
Index 1
Service Name rt640x64
IP Address Not Available
IP Subnet Not Available
Default IP Gateway Not Available
DHCP Enabled Yes
DHCP Server Not Available
DHCP Lease Expires Not Available
DHCP Lease Obtained Not Available
MAC Address Not Available
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt640x64.sys (10.28.615.2018, 1.09 MB (1,139,424 bytes), 7/29/2018 10:32 AM)

Suspect yours would be the same as this.

When I look at the date of the driver's timestamp on the last line, it is 7/29/2018. It could very well be the same one on the RealTek site as it would be included in that package because the RealTek site has the SAME date? Of course the real Driver is that last line. Possible MS installed it along with V1809 even? Just need the .SYS file possibly?

Check what you have before trying to update, but if you do, get it off the RealTek site, much safer. Quite possible if you do try to install it it could even tell you you are up-to-date even?

Did you check all the properties for Power Management as well as the Power Plan?

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My posts are not saving for some reason.  I have been trying for 2 days. 

Message 9 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] my windows 10 PC [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.

> [...] When the PC is sleeping, the lights on the network port on the
> back of the PC are all off. I am not sure that this was always the
> case. [...]

To me, that sounds like a clue.

Typically, an Ethernet interface gets power when the system is in
standby ("power off") mode, to enable features like wake-on-LAN:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN  On a system which provides
standby power (almost all, these days), you can usually find a few LEDs
(on the main board and/or the Ethernet card/port) glowing whenever the
power cord is connected.  The (so-called) power switch controls only the
primary part of the power supply; the (small) standby part is

(typically) always on.

If the standby output of the power supply fails, then the system
(including its Ethernet interface) would be dead unless the power supply
is in its full-on state.  I'd expect that even "power off", which should
be more dead than "asleep", would leave standby power on, unless there's
some contrary BIOS option.

> Windows: Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Source?  WINVER output: "Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.292)"?

> Like many of you, I had a windows 10 update installed recently,
> could that have caused the issue? [...]

I'd expect not.  I don't use such features, so I know nothing, but I
can imagine a BIOS option which might disable WakeOnLAN and/or the
standby output of the power supply.  But I wouldn't expect any such
setting to change spontaneously.  Even considering Netgear's typical
firmware quality, basic failure to detect an active Ethernet interface
seems pretty unlikely, too.

If no one has fiddled with the BIOS settings or the Windows settings,
then I'd suspect the power supply hardware.  Especially if you formerly
saw LED indicators when the system was asleep or "powered off", and now
don't.  I'd expect such a power supply failure to be pretty rare, but
not impossible, and it would seem to be consistent with your symptoms.

Everything recovers nicely when the system is powered up?

If another computer connected to that router port works as expected,
then that should rule out the router as the cause, no?

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

WINVER output: "Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.253)"

Everything recovers fine when the PC is powered up.  

I connected a laptop to the router in the same port.  When the laptop was put ot sleep mode the LED turned off, as it now has been doing on the PC.  

I read the manual for the router and LED colors are: "The LED color indicates the speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections."  So before it was indicating a 100 Mbps connection when my PC was sleeping.  Not it is off indicating according to the manual that no device is connected to the port. 

Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It turned out to be an outdated driver on my NIC.  I installed the one from the website you recommended and it worked!  Previous driver was from 2011.  New one is from 2018.  Thanks!

Message 12 of 14
IrvSp
Master

Seriously doubt this is the 'answer'. I am not 100% sure what you are saying though.

"I connected a laptop to the router in the same port. When the laptop was put ot sleep mode the LED turned off, as it now has been doing on the PC. "

This IS due to a POWER setting. On Laptops the device (in its PROPERTIES on the POWER MANAGEMENT tab) is a CHECK BOX to turn the device off to save power. This is usually checked on Laptops to conserve power in the battery. When the device is TURNED OFF, the router does NOT see it connected.

You said:

"I read the manual for the router and LED colors are: "The LED color indicates the speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections." So before it was indicating a 100 Mbps connection when my PC was sleeping. Not it is off indicating according to the manual that no device is connected to the port. "

Confusing what you mean? When the PC goes to sleep the Network Adapter still being on but it isn't communicating, but depending on NIC it could be either state. I'm assuming the Property (or even the Power Settings) might turn it off?

Some NIC's do not comeback to life fast enough as well and don't connect immediately or need to be manually connected.

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Your post referenced updating the driver.  That is what I did to get it working so that is why I selected it as the answer.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7