Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Dropping internet for wifi devices

Aeternyx
Tutor

R7000 Dropping internet for wifi devices

I have a 7000 that is dropping internet connectivity periodically ONLY for Wifi connected devices.

When this occurs:

Wifi devices

- Stay "connected" according to Windows/ Android /etc

- Cannot ping by site name

- Cannot ping DNS server by IP (1.1.1.1)

- Cannot ping the router (192.16.8.1.1)

Ethernet connected devices remain fully operational. All pings and internet connectivity isn't interrupted.

I have tried: 

- Rebooting the Router (Works but this gets old 4-5 times a day.)

- Resetting to factory settings. No improvement.

- Updating to the latest firmware (V1.0.11.128_10.2.112). No improvement. 

Currently I am running after a firmware update, factory reset, and then changing ONLY the SSID and passwords. (5G and 2.4Ghz SSID's are different). All other settings are factory default.

It is still dropping internet to all wifi devices several times a day.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Dropping internet for wifi devices

You put you updated the firmwware. 

what version were you on prior? 

what modem/gateway are you connected to?

have you enabled IPv6?

Message 2 of 7
Aeternyx
Tutor

Unfortunately, I'm not actually sure what firmware was on it prior now.

It's connected to a fiberoptic ONT provided by my ISP. I'm not sure what the model is atm but I don't believe the ONT/ISP are at fault since wired devices remain connected just fine.

IPv6 is not enabled.

Message 3 of 7
Aeternyx
Tutor

For the time being, I have downgraded to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 as I have seen a number of forum posts here that seem to indicate the R7000 "likes" that version better. We'll see how the next 24 hours go.

Message 4 of 7
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Aeternyx wrote:

For the time being, I have downgraded to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 as I have seen a number of forum posts here that seem to indicate the R7000 "likes" that version better. We'll see how the next 24 hours go.

@Aeternyx  So bascially, you've downgraded to a 4 year old firmware that may well have security issues.

The problem with the R7000 AC1900 seems to be that lots of these routers from what owners report here, just aren't coping with various versions that Netgear have shoved out over the last few years. I admit, I have now suffered this myself with the most up to date firmware, v.128 and was subsequently forced to revert back to the previous v.126 because it completely messed up my WiFi and hey presto! everything is fine again. That being said, others have put v.128 onto their router and they claim everything is fine, so who knows what is going on! What I would never do however, is revert to a 4 year old firmware, but it's your choice at the end of the day.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully that works. 

I have Version 1.0.9.34 loaded on mine. Works for 3 year old FW. No issues security wise. 

@Aeternyx wrote:

Message 6 of 7
GregGreg
Star

@Aeternyx 

Read my Message 6 of 7 from this thread. Maybe it will help you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7