Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 - Dynamic DNS Registers every 30 seconds

stereoptic
Tutor

R7000 - Dynamic DNS Registers every 30 seconds

Hi - I was wondering if anyone has experienced this recently.  Starting one day last week I noticed in the log that Dynamic DNS was registering every 30 seconds!  Previously, it had been once a day I believe.  Of course, when I uncheck it the log enties stop.  Is there any way to determine what could be trigerring this?

[Dynamic DNS] host name xxx.org registration successful, Tuesday, Aug 17,2021 13:20:00
[Dynamic DNS] host name xxx.org registration successful, Tuesday, Aug 17,2021 13:19:30
[Dynamic DNS] host name xxx.org registration successful, Tuesday, Aug 17,2021 13:19:00

I've tried rebooting, repowering the router.  Disabling VPN, thinking that might be involved somehow.  I've checked my account at dyndns and it looks fine, I even asked a tech there to check it and my account is fine.

I would think that these constant requests would slow down the router a biit?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
stereoptic
Tutor

Re: R7000 - Dynamic DNS Registers every 30 seconds

Has anyone else had this issue?

Message 2 of 7

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 3 of 7
stereoptic
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!

OK, I am using Firmware Version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

I have an xFinity/Comcast Modem Model:CGM4331COM.

There are 4 Gigaports on the back.  I have a Cat 6 cable connected to the LAN port 1 to the R7000 router.  I have tried the other ports as well as other cables, and the same result. 

The Comcast modem has been set to Bridge mode.  

I had eventually unchecked the option just to get the entires out of the log!  I would turn click it back on from time to time just to see if the issue had somehow corrected itself.

So, of all things, I accidently reset my router to factory settings.  I had been doing remodeling and I disconnected it and my modem temporarily.  I don't have any idea how it could have reset it itself, I certainly didn't get a safety pin and push reset.  My electric connection to my modem was erratic due to a poor connection, so maybe it sent an erratic signal through the ethernet cable to the router, I don't know.  In any event, factory. reset seems to have resolved the issue.

Message 4 of 7

@stereoptic wrote:

OK, I am using Firmware Version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

I have an xFinity/Comcast Modem Model:CGM4331COM.

According to the usual sources, and your description, this is a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

cgm4331com bridge mode - Google Search

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@stereoptic wrote:

In any event, factory. reset seems to have resolved the issue.

This may be because the router went through the setup process again when you restarted th network. It then detected the modem/router and had ways of navigating around the "double NAT" scenario. (It can pick a different IP address for itself.)

If that solves your problem, great. But it might help to understand what is going on so that you can beat it into submission the next time you have trouble.

Message 5 of 7
stereoptic
Tutor

Thanks very much for the detailed response.  I can use all of the information!  Since I did have the modem in bridge mode since day 1, I don't think any of those would have caused but I'll never know!

Message 6 of 7
cdmiller
Aspirant

I recently noticed this too.  Unlike the situation described by the OP, I have just have a cable modem and the R7000. I use dyndns.org.  The router logs show that it successfully registers with dyndns.org every 30 seconds.  While this doesn't seem to be a problem, I don't recall it doing this as frequently in the past.  Is it normal for it to check-in every 30 seconds?

Firmware Version: V1.0.11.130_10.2.118

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7