Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Dynamic QoS Throttles LAN transmission

xrender
Tutor

R7000 Dynamic QoS Throttles LAN transmission

I am surprised and happy to see that the new firmware adds supports Dynamic QoS on R7000. However, it seems that the Dynamic QoS will throttle the local transmission in the LAN network. I have a Samba sharing device in the LAN and found that the upload from my desktop is throttled around the QoS upload bandwidth, which should not happen since it is not WAN traffic. The LAN download does not have this issue though.

When enabling dynamic QoS, my LAN upload is throttled around 500KB. After disabling the QoS, the LAN upload is around 15MB. The old upstream QoS does not have this issue

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
xrender
Tutor

Re: R7000 Dynamic QoS Throttles LAN transmission

The problem is solved after setting my LAN HOME_NET back to 192.168.1.xx (255.255.255.0). Not sure if this is actually a bug or it is my configuration that is improper.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
mondenath
Prodigy

Which version are you referring to. Can you post the setting screenshot of QOS.

Do give some layout of the actual devices connected and mode of transfer.  there might be many factors that could affect this .

Message 2 of 9
xrender
Tutor

The firmware version is 1.0.7.12_1.2.5

qos.jpg

Some additional observation: the upload speed is not throttled exactly at 4.7Mbps. The peak speed could be around 10Mbps but is still far below the speed without QoS (15~20MB/s)

I simply transfer the large file using ordinary Windows 10 file sharing protocol (both my client computer and file server run Win10). Both the server and the client are at 10.0.0.xx in the LAN 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you connect a external Gb network switch between the PC and the Server and test? Connect one port of the switch to the router.

Message 4 of 9
xrender
Tutor

I'd be happy to help reproduce the issue/change settings and test if it is feasible, but I currently don't have extra Gb switch available...

I suspect if it is because of my HOME_NET setting (10.0.0.xx). I have all devices statically binded to some address so changing them will be painful.. I will have a try if possible.

Additional info: my server is connected wired (Gbs connection), and my client is connected through netgear A6200 AC adapter, with the actual connection rate at 400~800 Mbps

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the client PC with a direct LAN wired cable as well.

Try a Gb network switch when you get the opportunity.

Message 6 of 9
xrender
Tutor

The problem is solved after setting my LAN HOME_NET back to 192.168.1.xx (255.255.255.0). Not sure if this is actually a bug or it is my configuration that is improper.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working better.

Message 8 of 9
xrender
Tutor

Thanks for the help 🙂 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors