R7000 Enabling Downstream QOS kills VOIP

NightHawk
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Enabling Downstream QOS kills VOIP

NightHawk wrote:
Good News! - Netgear support has provided a beta trail build for me to test. It has fixed the issue. So I am hoping that fix makes its way to the official firmware soon.

I spoke too soon. As soon as I posted this, Netgear support closed my case saying the latest firmware 1.0.3.24 has fixed the issue which is totally wrong. Also, I tried emailing the original support engineer who provided me the beta firmware. Looks like he has left the company as his email bounced back. Now I am again wondering if this issue will ever be addressed.
Message 26 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Open a new case and reference the old one.
Message 27 of 33
marc311
Aspirant

since the latest FW did not fixed your issue, contact Netgear again via phone/chat/email since you have a case already about this, maybe the next step is for L2 escalation for them to look closer on your issue.
Message 28 of 33
svg04
Aspirant

I was having the same incoming voice choppiness with Vonage - after some trials with phone, connection, wiring etc, I was ready to ask Vonage for a new adapter (I assumed the router is very new so, it is unlikely culprit) but decided to a search and glad I found this thread. I too disabled downstream QoS and a quick test with and without QoS seems to show that disabling is the way to go. - I just called my work number and waited for the answering message which would be broken up with QoS on, crystal clear with QoS off. I have opened a case with Netgear. Will update if I hear from them.
Message 29 of 33
frossie
Tutor

hello all,
i have the same problems on my voip communication.
Someone knows if the problem was solved with the last update of firmware released today ?

THe only workaround is disabling downstreaming qos ?
Message 30 of 33
tinsnow
Aspirant

installed the latest firmware. Here is my experience with qos

1) Firmware 1.0.1.22_1.0.15
I used to get 20 MB download speed when transferring a file from my Synology NAS to Desktop

2) Firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25
I get a speed of 30 MB download speed when transferring a file from my Synology NAS to Desktop

3) When I enable QOS on Firmware V1.0.3.56_1.1.25, the download speed drops to 15-18MB when transferring a file from Synology NAS to Desktop
(No other devices are doing any activity so I know the router is idle).

Decision: Disable the stupid QOS and move on.
Message 31 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Placing a throttle on down stream is just a bad idea. I find using MAC Priority works quite well.
Message 32 of 33
Nickng
Aspirant

NightHawk wrote:
I would like Netgear Engineers take a look at this issue and comment. Customer service was of no use. I added Vonage(VOIP) MAC address to downstream QOS list and enabled downstream QOS. This killed my Vonage downstream connection everytime I ran speedtest on other device. Disabling downstream QOS resolved the issue with VOIP. But that defeats the purpose of buying R7000 which claims to have this unique feature over competition for smooth downstream video playbacks.

Other settings:
Disabled SIP ALG.
Enabled WMM on both 2 and 5 GHz.
Enabled upstream QOS and added Vonage MAC address with Highest Priority.
Added Vonage VOIP Mac rule to downstream QOS database list.

In this scenario:
Enable Downstream QOS = Kills VOIP downstream (Vonage)
Disable Downstream QOS = Okay VOIP.

Netgear Engineers Please look into this and provide firmware update to fix this issue. The reason I bought R7000 was to enable downstream QOS for video. It should not kill my VOIP downstream.

I have the same problem. My Vonage VoIP line would not ring when people call. But after disabling Netgear downstream QoS my VoIP phones would ring again.
Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements