Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Ethernet dropping, wifi fine

DutchWolf114
Aspirant

R7000 Ethernet dropping, wifi fine

Hi,

My Nighthawk recently developped an interesting issue.

Every 10-15 minutes the LAN connection (wired) drops out. It is fixable by reconnecting or running windows troubleshooter (Win10).

Windows says the problem is that the gateway was unavailable. Then it works again, and 10-15 min later it is dead again.

Problem does NOT exist on WiFi connections.

Problem occurs on all PC's connected to the network.

Problem occurs with all ethernetcables I have available.

Currently running firmware V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 on the router (was the V1.0.5, but downgraded it as a possible fix).

Router is DHCP server (ISP router is bridge-only).

Configuration worked fine for several months.

EDIT: Problem occurs on all ports.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Roomie
Tutor

hi,

i had the same problem and searched over a week what was wrong.

i did a clean windows 10 install and the problem already cameup during the installation.

so i formatted the disk and installed windows 7......my lan and netgear router works perfectly. (i had to copy 5tb data to a new nas)

then i reinstalled windows 10 and the connection problem started again

the problem ist not netgear it is windows 10, which many people complain about

google "windows 10 lan problems"

the windows 10 lan drivers are faulty, get the newest one, in my case it was broadcom

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
DutchWolf114
Aspirant

Update:

Tried:

-reset to factory

-reset of the bridging router

-changing QoS settings

Nothing.

My @&#$@#@(&$#*@# router is broken isn't it?

Message 2 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Try a different port and see if it happens there?

Check to see if there is another device connecting with the SAME IP Address, that could knock you off.

I assume this worked before and you are on the same f/w that it did work on and this just started to happen?

Message 3 of 10
DutchWolf114
Aspirant

1) did that, problem on all ports

2) IP, Gateway, etc are all fine even when its not working.

3) yes it worked before, not sure what you mean by f/w but this just started to happen on a setup that was working fine for months.

Message 4 of 10
IrvSp
Master

f/w = Firmware...

1.0.4.30 is the 'official' release at this time (I see you are on that one). There is a Beta too, 1.0.5.60 that works fine too for me. If not on either of these, give them a try.

If you had it working before (you didn't say how long), only reason that it would drop off is if another device wanted the SAME IP address and the router would drop the connected one. If this is NOT the case, sounds like something went wrong within the router. If still under warranty, call Netgear.

When it 'drops', open a COMMAND prompt and enter IPCONFIG /ALL and see what it reports compared to the same command run when it is working. Has the IP Address changed as that is the usual giveaway. If you see 169.254.x.x ip address and no default gateway then you really have lost connection to the router.

Message 5 of 10
DutchWolf114
Aspirant

Ah okay, yeah I ran 1.05 for 2 or 3 months fine, rerolled to 1.0.4. AFTER it started f&&& up because I read somewhere 1.0.5 was unstable. Didn't help.

It's not an IP conflict, checked that.

I guess I'll have to check the warrany unless someone has a better idea.

Message 6 of 10
Roomie
Tutor

hi,

i had the same problem and searched over a week what was wrong.

i did a clean windows 10 install and the problem already cameup during the installation.

so i formatted the disk and installed windows 7......my lan and netgear router works perfectly. (i had to copy 5tb data to a new nas)

then i reinstalled windows 10 and the connection problem started again

the problem ist not netgear it is windows 10, which many people complain about

google "windows 10 lan problems"

the windows 10 lan drivers are faulty, get the newest one, in my case it was broadcom

Message 7 of 10
IrvSp
Master

I have Broadcom as well. I'm on W10 and I'm running 10.3.723.2015 of the driver. I saw some links and some claimed this driver will not work. I can see the list of those on my PC via Device Manager:

Links I saw claimed only 9.1.402.2015 works with W10. Well, I've got the latest (I assume) and it works find for me. It could very well be h/w dependant though. Mine is on a Dell motherboard.

Look like RealTek (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy... has a later driver too, 10.6.1117.2015?

Message 8 of 10
DutchWolf114
Aspirant

Roomie that did it (on 2 pc's so far).

I noticed  my Win7 server didnt fail, so I updated the drivers on 2 of the laptops from the developpers site (windows driver update didnt do it for one of them). Now its fine.

Amazing, 3 laptops with 3 different network adapters all failed at the same time..

Thank you very much, great suggestion.

For future reference, the adapters were by:

-Broadcom

-Realtek

-Killer

Message 9 of 10
Roomie
Tutor

you´re welcome 🙂

i have read in lots of forums that many people with all dfferent kinds and brands of network adapters have lan problems.

it has nothing to do with the r7000 or any other router, it´s a windows 10 bug, known since july 2015 and microsoft does nothing to fix it.

maybe a mod should put a sticky somewhere in the forum to help others.

greetz roomie 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7