Re: R7000 Externall USB drive ID problem

bytat
Tutor

R7000 Externall USB drive ID problem

Is there a way to get a certain usb drive ID when booting up, reconnecting drives or updating the firmware of the r7000?
Netgear states that the r7000 supports Time Machine but everytime I do this the router seems to be playing roulette with the drive ids and since Time Machine needs a static path it renders my backups unuseable.
I don’t mind if I have to connect the drives in a certain manner or procedure, I just need a bullet proof way to get back to right drive ID for the right drive everytime.
Message 1 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi bytat,

Please check this article for Time machine using the NETGEAR router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21360/~/how-to-setup-time-machine-with-your-netgear-ro...

Message 2 of 12
bytat
Tutor

Hi JamesGL.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see anything in your link addressing the issue with the changing usb drive ID's and Time Machine being dependent on them to be the same for it to work? 

What do I do to prevent that my connected usb harddrive "S_Drive on 192.168.1.1" suddenly becoms "R_Drive on 192.168.1.1"?

Message 3 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi bytat,

I was checking if you have followed that steps given on the link. Is your drive in two partitions?

Message 4 of 12
bytat
Tutor

Yes, I've followed the steps. No, there's only one partition and it's formated in hfs+.

Message 5 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi bytat,

May I know what firmware version the router is using? Please try to use other firmwares for R7000. Also please try to use other MAC laptop and see if the same issue happens.

Message 6 of 12
bytat
Tutor

I'm using the latest, V1.0.4.30_1.1.67.

actually, come to think of it, the drive _is_ formatted in two partitions.. but this is because HFS+ with guid always creates one extra EFI partition.

Message 7 of 12
bytat
Tutor

I've tried other Netgear firmwares with the same problem.. the two latest pulled ones and also the one before the current stable.. I've also tried other macs and other r7000's.. all with the same problem of changing driver id's.

in addition to that, I've tried merlin/xvortex asus xwrt which actually works.. or atleast it's predictable in it's id's since it always names the disks "sda" and "sdb", depending on where they are attached.. but I'm trying to go back to netgear stock firmware since merlin's is giving me other, unrelated problems.

Message 8 of 12
bytat
Tutor

I guess this is unsolvable?

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi bytat,

Please check your inbox.

Message 10 of 12
skulldragger
Aspirant

I'm having this issue as well. Has it been resolved? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi skulldragger,

Please check your inbox.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos