Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 FW upgrade

It appears that many R7000 users are having the same problem: update FW to _42 and router continuously drops internet, websites, servers not found...on and on and on. Re-flashed to earler version of FW, and router was not functional. Re-flashed back to _42, with same result: internet connects lost. I have not seen a solution. Does anyone have any ideas before I trash the thing and move to Asus?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
Highlighted

Re: R7000 FW upgrade

Go back to V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 make sure to turn off auto updates and do a factory reset.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Master

If you have SPECTRUM as your ISP, try setting the DNS's to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4  respectively. Spectrum appears to have DNS and/or latancy problems at this time. This change has helped many others with problems you are describing.

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted

I use google as dns along with open dns. The problems other people are having is the firmware.Take note V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 is ok anything after that is junk for the R7000.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Master

@StickyNote, don't know what 'junk' means, but I had on my R7000 (that is no longer used) higher than 9.32 and it was basically working (replaced and the router was failing to stay on and it was time for an upgrade anyway). Note the OP could not go back in firmware either, " Re-flashed to earler version of FW, and router was not functional. ", although there wasn't much detail how it was done and if OP reset the router after flashing.

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted

Junk-- firmware 9.34 would not keep time correctly, speed loss both lan and wireless. Hope that defines junk a littlle better.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted

@StickyNote wrote:

Hope that defines junk a littlle better.

Not really. Those are not symptoms reported by "many people". Unless you can point us to messages around here that offer more detail. Nor do they seem to relate to the question from @MAXXOO.

I hope @MAXXOO does not get too confused by this intrusion on their discussion.

For their benefit, they should heed your suggestion about a factory reset.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

update: re-flashed with .32-34. some internet connectivity returns, interspersed with internet drop outs (i.e., "cannot find that server.". Since I had nothing to lose, flashed .42 again. No change. Flashed again using .34-.36. No change. Cannot connect to the router directly, either with wifi or ethernet. Factor reset done each time before and after. I can connect usinig the extender located elsewhere in my home. Geneally the wifi function seems ok, just not internet connectivity other than though the extender. I can get into the router through the extender, and settings are fine, unchanged. Tried Google DNS with no connectivity whatsoever. Spectrum shows up, tech tests things on their end...all good. I am disappointed that anyone from Netgear has not jumped in offer any advice. I offered to sell my newly bricked router to the Spectrum tech for five dollars. He declined.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted

Flash back to 9.32 do the fatory reset Leave the dns set to auto on the router. If you need to change the dns do this on the devices after all is working. Set the local time in the router. Check to see if you are connected to the internet in the router interface.

Message 9 of 10
Master

@StickyNote wrote:

Junk-- firmware 9.34 would not keep time correctly, speed loss both lan and wireless. Hope that defines junk a littlle better.

This describes the Netgear firmware. Have a r8000 of sale if interested. PM  me.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements