R7000 Factory Reset Proper Steps

bzzmark
Aspirant

R7000 Factory Reset Proper Steps

Given the latest security issues and having to do a factory reset I just attempted this but couldnt find a step by step. Here is what I did:

-I held down the reset button on the back of the router

-Router LEDs flashed

-Logged into the router throught my computer (routerlogin.net) 

-Login screen was a setup screen so seemed I was on the right path

-Changed/Updated admin password 

-At this point it kept trying to connect to the server but never did.

-I logged back into the routerlogin.net website and was ok. 

Once I was able to login and also through the Nighthawk app I noticed that the software was the latest one. I thought the router would restore to an older version software and I would have to choose to upgrade the software to the latest. Did the software automatically upgrade along the way of the factory reset? I just want to make sure I didn the factory reset properly. 

Thank you for the time in advance.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: R7000 Factory Reset Proper Steps

Factory reset can be done through the firmware GUI itself. You do not need to physically reset the router. Just go to Advanced -> Administration -> Backup Settings. There's a button there to do a reset

Further, factory reset does not mean the router goes to the firmware version it came with. This is impossible since storage on routers is limited and it gets also complex to manage two versions next to another. In other words, the router does not keep a copy of the initial firmware. Factory reset means to wipe out all NVRAM and other settings so you start fresh.

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.91.1SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 6
bzzmark
Aspirant

Great! Thank you for the help and quick response!

Message 3 of 6
MotoJunkie
Aspirant

It's definitely not impossible to revert back to the out-of-the-box initial firmware build. There are several sites which offer free firmware downloads for the NetGear Nighthawk and other model NetGear routers. Due to some problems with firmware updates, I downgraded my Nighthawk to the initial firmware build by flashing the firmware package to the router's eMMC flash memory and running an erase nvData command. This solved all adverse issues my router incurred as a result of firmware updates.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 6

@MotoJunkie

Suggest that you not download FW from 3rd party sites.  Every build of stock FW for the R7000 since it's release is available on Netgear's Support Portal

R7000

You can flash any version you want. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@MotoJunkie wrote:
It's definitely not impossible to revert back to the out-of-the-box initial firmware build. There are several sites which offer free firmware downloads for the NetGear Nighthawk and other model NetGear routers. Due to some problems with firmware updates, I downgraded my Nighthawk to the initial firmware build by flashing the firmware package to the router's eMMC flash memory and running an erase nvData command. This solved all adverse issues my router incurred as a result of firmware updates.

This reply was to an over 3 month old thread.

Also the advice is not the best. Should only take firmware from the Official NG site utilizing the 'older versions' link that you expand on the downloads page of support.

Also all versions of firmware might not have the Erase button.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E