R7000 Fast Ethernet... Slow Slow Slow Wifi

Lychee_r7
Aspirant

R7000 Fast Ethernet... Slow Slow Slow Wifi

I am really mad. My ethernet speed of the R7000 is perfectly fine. It has 100mbps download and 20mbps upload.

The WIFI is terriable! I am only receiving 30mbps on the 5ghz spectrum and I changed the WIFI channels too, and it still doesn't reach 100mbps when I am super close to the router.

I tested my latest Samsung s7 phone, my HP Elitebook, and Macbooks. It still gets the worst worst WIFI speed ever. What is wrong. I checked the antennas, to see if they are positioned and tightned correctly too.

Please relase a new firmware update for the R7000 router.

I paid $140 for this router and it doesn't perform at all. I have seen 11 year old routers that have better performance than this. I have to switch to my old router that's how bad the performance is on the 'new amazing technology'!!!!!!!!!!!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: R7000 Fast Ethernet... Slow Slow Slow Wifi

Which firmware version do you have now?

Netgear has released several in recent weeks.

30 Mbps is poor, but you are most unlikely to get 100 MBps wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 12
Lychee_r7
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware update. 

I pay for the 100mbps plan and 20mbps up plan. I get the speed through etherenet / LAN but not wifi. 

I tried both 5ghz (30mbps) and 2ghz (10-15mbps) in my experience. I never experienced such slow wifi... I am going to try one of my friends routers to see if it works better than the R7000. 

Why do you say that I am unlikely to get 100mbps wifi? This router is rated for gigabit bandwidth... I don't get it.

I am going to try to do a firmware downgrade, and a router reset to see if it makes a difference in performance. I have heard that the older firmwares do better than the newer ones for the R7000. I am going to try it later on today.

Message 3 of 12

Why do you say that I am unlikely to get 100mbps wifi? This router is rated for gigabit bandwidth... I don't get it.

Because that's how it works.

Your Internet service may spit 1000, even 10,000 Mbps at you, but your router won't be able to communicate at that speed with wifi. Even some old LAN hardware will stop at 100 Mbps.

Then there are the wifi clients. The router may broadcast at a gazillion Mbps, but your poor old wifi clients simply don't have the chips in them to play at that speed.

Just ask Google a few questions about wifi speeds that you can expect and then look to see what your hardware can deliver.

How Fast Is a Wi-Fi Network?

There are plenty more where that came from.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 12
Lychee_r7
Aspirant

I am not stupid. I am paying for 100mbps and 20 upload... Okay!

My ethernet gets the full speed (100mbps and 20 upload)... and my wifi 5ghz (30 download and 20 upload) and 2.4ghz (10-15 download and 20 upload) 

Do you even read? How are you a superuser? This forum is terriable.

Message 5 of 12
IrvSp
Master

wrote:

I am not stupid. I am paying for 100mbps and 20 upload... Okay!

My ethernet gets the full speed (100mbps and 20 upload)... and my wifi 5ghz (30 download and 20 upload) and 2.4ghz (10-15 download and 20 upload) 

Do you even read? How are you a superuser? This forum is terriable.

Calm down... there is a big difference between speeds you can get wired and wireless.

If you have a modem that puts out 1Gbps and feeds a router that handles 1Gbps and you wire a PC using CAT6 cable to a PC card that is capable of 1Gbps, you can get speeds up to 1Gbps. However, many home modems usually top out at a 300Mbps speed or even less.

If you have Cat5 cable and have a PC only capable of 100Mbps, that is what you get, no matter what goes into the router.

Now for Wireless, COMPLETELY different scenario.

A few things come into play, well actually 4:

1. The NETWORK card/interface on a device. This can SEVERLY limit you apparent speed (what you'll see on a speed test, not the actual tranfer rate which will be a LOT slower).
  2. Distance from the router and which SSID is used. When far away, signals will drop, but the 2.4Ghz band can reach further, however the 5Ghz band has higher signal strength that the 2.4Ghz, just doesn't reach as far.
  3. Interference, such as walls, microwave, large electronic motors, and other SSID's with sufficent strength nearby on the same channel.
  4. Some router settings, specifically QoS for instance, Beamforming, etc.

So the next question I'd ask is "How are you measuring the speed?". Are you looking at transfer rate while copying a file or using a speed test?

Are ALL devices showing the SAME speed?

Have you ENABLED QoS and set the SPEED and then disabled it?

What are your NETWORK settings for WIRELESS? Using which Security?

What are the speed capability of the wireless devices?

Message 6 of 12

Oh so true. But much if that has been said before, only to provoke insults.

As a benchmark, my DSL Internet connects at ~75 Mbps. That's what a speedtest will deliver on a wired device.

What the wifi delivers depends on the time of the day and other factors, but it usually comes in between 40 and 55 Mbps. There is no way that wifi will get 75 Mbps thanks to the laws of physics and the technology involved.

The idea that you can get wifi at 100 Mbps on a 100 Mbps Internet link is fanciful.

30 Mbps is not good. But as you suggest, it depends on the wifi clients. A good way to check what a router is delivering is to see what the same clients achieve on other wifi sources. Better yet, try them on even faster Internet links and see what you get. The wifi limits will be obvious if you try the clients on gigabit internet. That really is beyond the limits of just about every wifi client people are likely to own.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, well some of your statement do not always apply.

For example... I've got a wired PC, a Wireless PC using an NG AC speed A6200, an iPad3, and an iPad4 for comparison. My service is cable with 100Mbps down, 10Mbps up.

Now you have DSL, and tends to be more 'different' than cable. Cable delivers the same and is usually 'over-provisioned' to ensure the service one buys is met (I actually get about 114/11.4Mbps). DSL degrades as it goes down the line from the main trunk with each connection getting less than the one before it.

Also the  OP's 'test' method could be faulty. Usually you should test with an ISP approved site, usually on their infrastructure, not one off the infrastructure as they have no control over external delays.

But I digress, back to what I see:

• Wired PC, CAT6 to the router, router to ISP provided CRAPY PUMA6 chipset modem, an Arris TM1602AP2. Speeds are as I mentioned above.
  • Wireless PC, with the NG A6200 connected to the 5Ghz SSID... and the device reports 866Mbps connection. Now don't confuse that with 'speed'. However my ISP's speed test MATCHES the wired PC results. All that IS meaning less. Why? Because this PC also has another wireless adapter (this is a Dell XPS and it came with a 2.4Ghz adapter on the planar which is disabled). When I used  that though it shows for the device 280Mbs connection. Speed test of course will still show the same as my wired PC. HOWEVER, real time data, MUCH MUCH lower. I'm talking about 'doing something'. Like transferring FILES/PROGRAM between the wired PC and the Wireless one. DEPENDING on the file content (really isn't a factor), size of the file, location on each PC, and what ELSE both PC's (both Win10, one Home, one Pro) are doing. Both PC's do have similar 'equipment', both Intel i7's older, but similar rated CPU speeds, 8GB's of RAM, SSD's as the boot/OS drive, and both have other internal and external disk drives. As you know, PC's are rarely 'doing nothing', but when I measure the THROUGHPUT (what I'd call speed using WIndows Explorer report on the file transfer) the traffic requires one PC to find the data, get it (yes, it will be buffered on the hard drive) into RAM, talk to TCP/IP to send it to the other PC's IP Address, send it to the router, the router to handle it and actually send it, the other PC to get it, put it on disk, send back a packet to ask for the next one and the cycle repeats until all done. In this CASE, my throughput ranges from 30 to 70Mbps and does vary during the transfer. If I transfer a file to the R7000's USB connected drive, speeds rarely approach 30Mbps.
  • iPad3 (and an iPad2 as well), different situation. Speed test using OOKLA shows about 40/11Mbps. When I first got those I went on Apple forums and posted. Turns out is the device, as well as older iPhones. The number of antennea's are the problem. Not enough. I was getting as good as I could with that h/w.
  • iPad Pro (2016 model, and I assume new iPhones made around then), Apple added antennea's to them. Both the iPad3 and iPad Pro can connect to both the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's, the results are the same on iPad3 for both SSID's, but on the iPad4 it is 111/11Mbps. Clearly all iPad's (and other devices) are not created equal even though they can connect to both N and AC SSID's. It isn't the signal, it is the device.

I think the OP doesn't realize this? Quite possible his OLD router worked fine, and if so, he has to 'tune' the R7000's settings, and the first I'd look at would be the QoS setting. Maybe the Security as well. I have a friend who wasn't getting enough speed from his new router, but he was with the old one. Looked at it, and the problem was on his Toshiba laptop only. He was using WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] for security. Not WPA2-PSK [AES]. That WAS the problem, that first security can cause slower connections as it slows down to 54Mbps (https://www.howtogeek.com/204697/wi-fi-security-should-you-use-wpa2-aes-wpa2-tkip-or-both/). Changed it and his speed was back to what it was.

OP has not disclosed much in the way of router settings or even how his test for speed was done? Nor if he was getting better speeds with an old router? More info sure would help...

Message 8 of 12

.... some of your statement do not always apply.

For example... I've got a wired PC, a Wireless PC using an NG AC speed A6200, an iPad3, and an iPad4 for comparison. My service is cable with 100Mbps down, 10Mbps up.

I do not see how this is in any way in conflicts with what I said.

The speed of the internet connection does not matter. 75 Mbps or 100Mbps. That's not the point. Neither of us will get wifi at wired speeds, which seems to be the core misunderstanding here.

What wired and wireless speeds do you get with your 100 Mbps service? That would be useful feedback for someone who believes they will get wifi speeds that match wired speeds.

I've shown the "overhead" that I "lose" wired versus wifi. A direct comparison from someone on the same sort of service might make the point more forcefully.

The rest of your message seems to be designed to blind us with science rather than to clarify the key issue. Something tells me that most of it will fly well over the head of someone who thinks that Netgear is committing crimes against humanity because wifi isn't as fast as wired.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Seriously? Doing 100 mb/s resp. 20 mb/s (we talk bits here!) over WLAN must be a snap - for the R7000, the Sammy S7, even for a several year old MBA, ... Unless the "air" is extremley noisy there (massive concurrent usage in the neighbourhood on both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz band) someting must be systematically wrong, and the Internet connection is adding huge amounts of latency, ...

Let's say you can run an Ookla test (App, Speedtest.net) in some 10...15 ms ping latency, there should be no big difference between LAN and WLAN.

Message 10 of 12
dkishton1486
Aspirant

What wireless card do you have? I am connected wireless at 300Mbps but my speeds wireless at 5GHz is around 105Mbps.. Connected to the router im at 205Mbps. When you are wireless it drops off.. ALSO if you are running a VPN it will slow it down.. Doesnt matter how much you pay for internet you will NEVER get the speeds you pay for on wireless only WIRED

Message 11 of 12
IrvSp
Master

wrote:

.... some of your statement do not always apply.

I do not see how this is in any way in conflicts with what I said.

The speed of the internet connection does not matter. 75 Mbps or 100Mbps. That's not the point. Neither of us will get wifi at wired speeds, which seems to be the core misunderstanding here.

What wired and wireless speeds do you get with your 100 Mbps service? That would be useful feedback for someone who believes they will get wifi speeds that match wired speeds.

I've shown the "overhead" that I "lose" wired versus wifi. A direct comparison from someone on the same sort of service might make the point more forcefully.

The rest of your message seems to be designed to blind us with science rather than to clarify the key issue. Something tells me that most of it will fly well over the head of someone who thinks that Netgear is committing crimes against humanity because wifi isn't as fast as wired.

The reply was to you, but most of it was for the OP.

I was hoping he'd read the full reply and think about his expectations for WiFi speeds. Give his details and consider he had some settings on the router possibly causing his problem.

in a nutshell I guess I should have been more clear. I do have 100Mbps service, and yet I get a few different speeds with wireless. AC Adapter reports it is connected to the router with a speed of 866Mbps. A speed I'll never reach, as even a PC to PC transfer rarely exceeds 40Mbps according to Windows Explorer's details on the transfer (which of course includes all the overhead of both PC's and the router). However, Speed Test to the wireless PC does state 100Mbps down. All that means is I've got a full connection, nothing else.

Now if we knew how the OP determined his speeds and the actual h/w used?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements