Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000, Fiber (CenturyLink) and router switch

WayneD214
Aspirant

R7000, Fiber (CenturyLink) and router switch

I have a Netgear R7000/AC1900 router, I'm trying to plug in the ethernet cable
that goes into the CenturyLink router that has the connection to fiber. I would like
to replace the CenturyLink router with the Netgear router to improve
performance and coverage. I was told that the CenturyLink has:
  • VLAN tagging 2.01
  • DHCP not PPOE

When I plug the ethernet cable in, the Internet light remains orange/red

I'll admit to being clueless as to what VLAN tagging or PPOE refers to.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000, Fiber (CenturyLink) and router switch

Message 20 of 23

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd contact the ISP to see what configuration is needed on the NG router to make that work or if thats even supported by the ISP. 

Message 2 of 23

@WayneD214 wrote:
I have a Netgear R7000/AC1900 router, I'm trying to plug in the ethernet cable
that goes into the CenturyLink router that has the connection to fiber.

You are trying to plug the R7000 into the CenturyLink router?

Tiy shgoukd be able to plug the R7000 into whatever CenturyLink uses to deliver the Internet to you. What is that?

Remember, you don't just plug the router into the Internet. You turn the router on after you plug it in. And you should reset the router before you connect it to a different Internet service. You need to get it to forget any past settings.

Message 3 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

I'm trying to eliminate the CenturyLink/Quantum router. I talked to them (Century Link)

a month or so ago and they said that VLAN tagging DHCP not PPOE.  I was also

reading through forum posts and I noticed some folks said to switch the mode to

"router" from "bridge"(??)

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Where are you seeing this information regarding modes? 

The R7000 series router only supports the following modes: Router, AP and Wireless Bridge (Client Wifi)

Message 5 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

The CenturyLink/Quantum router has a Cat5 cable coming from the wall going into LAN/WAN port. Above that are 4 LAN ports, a WiFi setup is also available.

Message 6 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

I was reading through the forum looking for CenturyLink router info and a couple of the postings mentioned the "router" switch.

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Doesn't really give details on the "router" switch.

For ISP modems, you'll need to ask the ISP about replaceing there HW with something different. If it can't be replaced, then try the following:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers?_ga=2.190834155.1964120923.1641394007-133989108....
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 8 of 23

@WayneD214 wrote:

The CenturyLink/Quantum router ....

Does this have a model number? Google finds too many devices that could have that description.

Start at the beginning. How does the Internet reach you?

Talk of "fibre" is meaningless. Every Internet service has fibre links somewhere, even if they are out on the network miles from you. ISPs love to put the "F" label on everything, even when the bit that reaches you is a copper cable.

If it does have fibre to you, then the bit at your end could be an optical network terminal (ONT). This may have a LAN/Ethernet port that you can simply plug into your Netgear router. Then  you just need to get the settings from CenturyLink.

By the way I assume that we are talking about the R7000 router and not the A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer has nothing to do with this and you just clicked the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message.

Message 9 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

The CenturyLink router is a CenturyLink C4000XG, fiber coes into the garage to the panel beside the circuit breaker panel, this panel also has the lawn sprinkler controller. There are a half-dozen Cat5 cables going out to various wallplates around the house. Originally I was hoping I could get a mesh system and leave the main unit in the garage and wire a satellite or two nodes using the cat5 cables but our house doesn't have that configuration<crap>.

Message 10 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

Yes, this is the r7000 router not the USB 3.0 adapter.

Message 11 of 23

@WayneD214 wrote:

The CenturyLink router is a CenturyLink C4000XG, fiber coes into the garage to the panel beside the circuit breaker panel, this panel also has the lawn sprinkler controller. There are a half-dozen Cat5 cables going out to various wallplates around the house.

So, the CenturyLink is the router – or rather the  modem router – that feeds the panel that connects to all of that stuff?

If so, then if you want to use the R7000 as a router, standard practice is to put the C4000XG into bridge (modem only) mode.

WAN Settings - Advanced Modem Setup | CenturyLink

Then plug the R7000 into that use that to feed the panel with those half-dozen Cat5 cables.

It is when you set up the R7000 that you worry about the Internet settings. With luck the Internet setup wizard will recognise what it needs. Netgear should have set it up to work with common ISPs. As @FURRYe38 pointed out early on, that is something for the ISP.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – R7000 Centurylink

Originally I was hoping I could get a mesh system and leave the main unit in the garage and wire a satellite or two nodes using the cat5 cables but our house doesn't have that configuration<crap>.

I don't understand that bit. If the building's network feeds back to the wall panel, then satellites in AP mode would work. Some Mesh systems, including Netgear's Orbi, also allow wired backhaul. But that might not play nicely with the R7000, which isn't Mesh wifi.

Ditch the R7000 and replace it with a true Mesh system and you might achieve what you want.

Message 12 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

I'll get back in touch with CenturyLink. I'm sure they said that another router should work. What should I ask CenturyLink? I'm not sure that putting the CenturyLink in bridge mode makes sense since everything is still going through CenturyLink, it's just going through another gadget to fail and slow things down.

<p>Originally I was hoping to use the extra Cat5 cables for backhaul<sigh>

Message 13 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

I also would've gotten a different set-up, i'm guessing something like the Orbi.

Message 14 of 23

@WayneD214 wrote:

I'I'm not sure that putting the CenturyLink in bridge mode makes sense since everything is still going through CenturyLink, it's just going through another gadget to fail and slow things down.

Did you read the stuff about using two routers?

It makes every sense to put the modem/router into bridge mode if you want to use a second router. That is why it is a common strategy and why there are all those Google searches out there.

Everything does still go through the modem, but not in the same way. The choice is yours.

Message 15 of 23

@WayneD214 wrote:

I also would've gotten a different set-up, i'm guessing something like the Orbi.

That's why I suggested it.

Ditch the R7000 and replace it with a true Mesh system and you might achieve what you want.

Good idea. Orbi is true mesh but I didn't want to push Netgear stuff. I don't work for them.

Message 16 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

Yes, I read it, I'm not sure that using the Netgear router instead of the router built-in to the CenturyLink device is enough to warrant it's use. I was hoping/planning on using a mesh network since we signed the contract on this house in August, of course I couldn't buy anything until I could look at the actual set-up. Some friends have a later version of this house (our house was built in 2012, there was built-in 2018(?)) where I think the cat5 could be used for backhaul.

The last time I talked to CenturyLink tech support they mentioned VLAN TAGGING and DHCP over PPOE. Are there other things that need to be found out for how to substitute the AC1900 for the CenturyLink?

Message 17 of 23

@WayneD214 wrote:

The last time I talked to CenturyLink tech support they mentioned VLAN TAGGING and DHCP over PPOE. Are there other things that need to be found out for how to substitute the AC1900 for the CenturyLink?

We have been through all this several times.

You seem happy to listen to friends and your ISP while ruling out things that people have suggested here.

As you don't seem to accept that "double NAT" is a real issue, there really isn't much more that anyone can suggest.

Message 18 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@WayneD214 wrote:

> We have been through all this several times.

Yes we have

> You seem happy to listen to friends and your ISP while ruling out things

> that people have suggested here.

I have read and considered everything mentioned here. My friends haven't said anything. I'm going simply from what I've been able to gather in talking and reading from various sources including the tech from the ISP.

> As you don't seem to accept that "double NAT" is a real issue, there

> really isn't much more that anyone can suggest.

Double NAT is an issue, I don't think I've ever doubted that, that is why I'm tryng to eliminate the CenturyLink router. I've done some more searching and come across a setting that seems to be relevant, on the CenturyLink router is a setting marked as VLAN=201. There is a similiar setting for the netgear router, login to the router, go to the Advanced tab, navigate to the VLAN section and there are two boxes, VLAN ID & Priority. I tried entering 2, 20 and 201 in those boxes with no success. I don't know what to enter as a priority?

Message 19 of 23

Message 20 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

I need to do some more 'perimentation. Thank you, I had searched for Century Link and wound up with a huge amount of stuff that didn't seem to end.

Message 21 of 23
WayneD214
Aspirant

Thank you it works! I'm going to hang on to the CenturyLink router for a couple of weeks and make sure everything works. So far so good.

Message 22 of 23
rapidjee
Aspirant

can you share the steps to make it work? 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7