R7000 Firmware 1.0.7.10

lepa71
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware 1.0.7.10

It is only when router tries to check for new firmware through web UI I get this message. Otherwise internet connectivity is fine. I manualy updated the router to the last firmware and router still gets the same error. 

Message 26 of 38
TheEther
Guru

Regarding the "guest isolation in AP mode" discussion, I used to think that VLANs was the only reasonable way to do it but someone convinced me that it can be done entirely with firewall rules that block access for guests attempting to access local IP addresses.   This someone said that another vendor supports it.  I think it was either Belkin, D-Link or Linksys.

Message 27 of 38
schumaku
Guru

@TheEther ... the key is on how to extend the guest network beyond the router to additional wireless access points, WiFi extenders, ... Within the router the consumer should not have to care about how the isolation is implemeted. As long as it is implemented properly, does not cause issues, does not expose data or annoucements beyond the boundaries, and so on.

When I see on how a non-inexpensive latest and greatest Nighthawk X10 (R9000) does leak NetBIOS browser annoucemens or does work ans reply to UPnP M-Search I'm seriously concerned what is going in these boxes... 

Firewall rules in a flat L2 network? Somebody is kidding me...

Message 28 of 38
TheEther
Guru

If a guest network with only Internet access is required (i.e. no local LAN access nor access to other guest devices permitted), then it can be implemented entirely within the Access Point providing the guest network.  It's a matter of blocking ARPs and IP traffic between guest devices and any local IP address except for the default gateway.  The Access Point isn't purely a L2 device; it is L3 aware (it even has an IP address), so firewall rules are still applicable.

[Edit: BTW, the user doesn't need to know any of this.  These are just implementation details for Netgear.  All the user would have to do is indicate they want guest isolation and, possibly, provide the local subnet and IP address of the default gateway.  That's it.]

Message 29 of 38
TheEther
Guru

I found the post by the other person. The other vendor is Eero. About 4 posts down in this thread:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Guest-isolation-not-supported-in-AP-mode/td-p/1177199
Message 30 of 38
lepa71
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

@lepa71 wrote:

Does anybody getting this when trying to check for firmware?

No Internet connection
No Internet connection is detected. The router cannot check the NETGEAR server for updated firmware. After setting up your Internet connection, go to the Router Upgrade screen to check for updated firmware.

Some searching does leave me with the impression this is kind of an "old" issue. Suspect cause:

- (really) no Internet connection [unlikley, as you post here]

- Netger genie does "think" there is no Internet connection, does show this on the overview page, but the Internet is up and running (-> Factory Reset, Reconfigure)

- Netgear geine update test does fail to check firmware version due to several possible resons, ie.

-- ISP DNS blocking/redirecting certain domains (some US ISP seem to be very active, and they are under the impression it's "clever" for thier customers security...) -> In the router Internet Set-up -> Domain Name Server (DNS) Address, override the ISP DNS and configure ie. the generic Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Complain to your ISP if this does recolve the issue.

Over all, the Netgear genie message you perfectly replicated to the community is a *****, thier test should be able to provide much more information, and not state cofusing nonsense. I would expect a clear differentiation for real lack of Internet connection, DNS lookup failure, unable to locate the update information, ....

Hobbyists at work - not end user friendly at all. @ElaineM, please carry this forward to the Taiwan consumer router software engineering team. Further on, it would be nice to officially get information of the fully qualified host name the firmware update check and the effective update/download is looking for. This would greatly simplify the troubleshooting by your community members. This is a many year old problem with Netgear devices and routers, search the community and the Internet. Thank you!

-Kurt

So I tried to use google dns servers and to my surprise firmware check works. So I'm wondering is to why Comcast would block netgear IP address for firmware download servers? I have been in IT for 25 years and have never had this kind of thing. Also, I know it was working before less than a year. @netgear I think you need contact Comcast and resolve the IP block.
Message 31 of 38
jimlindsey
Aspirant

I am using the router with an older iMac running El Capitan. When I go to router login, it says there is a firmware update available. Apparently this is the current firmware 1.0.7.10. When I download this to my computer and then go back to router login to install it as an upgrade, nothing changes. I still have firmware 1.0.7.6 – 1.1.99? And, I still get the message I need to upgrade my firmware. I don't know if the download is incorrect or I am just not able to install it. Here's what the fall looks like when I download it:

document “R7000-V1.0.7.10_1.2.3.chk”

Thanks for any help this is all a mystery to me.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 38
jimlindsey
Aspirant

I am using the router with an older iMac running El Capitan. When I go to router login, it says there is a firmware update available. Apparently this is the current firmware 1.0.7.10. When I download this to my computer and then go back to router login to install it as an upgrade, nothing changes. I still have firmware 1.0.7.6 – 1.1.99? And, I still get the message I need to upgrade my firmware. I don't know if the download is incorrect or I am just not able to install it. Here's what the file looks like when I download it:

document “R7000-V1.0.7.10_1.2.3.chk”

Thanks for any help this is all a mystery to me.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 38
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lepa71 According to Comcast, they have updated their firewall.

Can you try again and let me know if you will still get the same result?

@jimlindsey Did you upload the firmware? I suggest that you follow the instructions from the article below. 

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 34 of 38
lepa71
Guide

@ElaineM wrote:

@jimlindsey Did you upload the firmware? I suggest that you follow the instructions from the article below. 

I will when I get home.

Message 35 of 38
jimlindsey
Aspirant

I have been out of the country. Today I was able to upgrade the firmware manually. Apparently something has changed – apparently Comcast?

Thanks for your help

Message 36 of 38
lepa71
Guide

@lepa71 wrote:

@ElaineM wrote:

I will when I get home.

It worked. Thanks

Message 37 of 38
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lepa71 Glad to hear that it worked! Thank you for the feedback.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements