Highlighted
Tutor

R7000 Firmware 1.0.9.60 Readyshare Problem

Hello,

the firmware 1.0.9.60 has the same problem with the readyshare folders as 1.0.9.58. I reported all to netgear one week ago, but again, they posted the new firmware version with the same error. How stupid are they??

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 30
Highlighted

Re: R7000 Firmware 1.0.9.60 Readyshare Problem

What is that problem?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes i did a reset of the router. The same issue was on 1.0.9.58. I reported the issue to netgear germany. They checked the problem an they get the same error with the readyshare function as I discovered. So then they erase the version 1.0.9.58 from the download server/homepage. Yesterday they released 1.0.9.60 and the same issue with the readyshare comes with that firmware. Why they didn´t testing the firmware on the R7000?

The problem is, that you can create folders in the readyshare page, everything is working after apply. But after a restart of the router, every folder that you created befor is deleted, only the root folder (USB_storage R:\) is present in the readyshare configuation.

Check it out with a USB drive connected to the router, create a folder (test) and then apply. You will see after a reboot that the folder did not exists anymore.

Message 3 of 30
Highlighted
Master

@Bl1985 wrote:

Hello,

the firmware 1.0.9.60 has the same problem with the readyshare folders as 1.0.9.58. I reported all to netgear one week ago, but again, they posted the new firmware version with the same error. How stupid are they??

Well, unless the README says it was fixed I'd assume it wasn't and might be in the next update.

Releases are not created in a week, and it is usually months apart unless there is a serious problem with a release and it is withdrawn, fixed, and re-released. Usually noted in the README as well, and .60 fixed a performance issue.

Was you case CLOSED or still OPEN. You should be able to see that in SUPPORT -> My Support.

Message 4 of 30
Highlighted

@IrvSp wrote:

Well, unless the README says it was fixed I'd assume it wasn't and might be in the next update.

Sadly, release notes don't always tell us everything that has changed.

Sometimes for good reason. They don't want to draw attention to what "security fixes" deal with because it can alert villains to things they can exploit in vulnerable devices.

But this bit is spot on.

Releases are not created in a week, and it is usually months apart

If you are lucky.

It may not seem like it, but new firmware actually goes through a quality checking process.  Heaven only knows how long that can take.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 30
Highlighted
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sadly, release notes don't always tell us everything that has changed.

Sometimes for good reason. They don't want to draw attention to what "security fixes" deal with because it can alert villains to things they can exploit in vulnerable devices.

Of course, but I was referring to fixes for problems, not Security as it seems the OP has an Open Case. Heck, I still have the SMB1 open since 3/31/2018 without final resolution...

It seems if you look at every F/W release it has a list of problems fixed or Enhancements and 'Security Fixes' listed. Sometimes I feel the 'security fixes' drives the releases more than true problem fixes.

Message 6 of 30
Highlighted

@IrvSp wrote:

It seems if you look at every F/W release it has a list of problems fixed or Enhancements and 'Security Fixes' listed. Sometimes I feel the 'security fixes' drives the releases more than true problem fixes.

OK. Let's write it even more simply.

Release notes do not detail all of the fixes and enhancements that new firmware delivers.

In other words, the release notes may not mention that they have fixed readyshare problems but in reality that has happened.

In other words, release notes are often incomplete.

Is that simple enough for you?

Just another user.

Message 7 of 30
Highlighted
Master

You don't have to be sarcastic. I fully understand. Only thing for sure, if it isn't listed, it may not be fixed. Some companies cover themselves with 'and other fixes' even. Some do get fixed by default fixing others, just like somethings will break due to other fixes.

Surely we both can agree that if a problem was opened a week or two ago there is a very good chance it was NOT fixed.

Message 8 of 30
Highlighted
Guide

Yeah  Insp that guy was a total jerk and obviously knows nothing at all about software Engineering or even how to do proper release and version updates.   He claims some sort of Sensei status but I have my doubts.  I've been Enterprise IT since 1980 when I began working for NASA/JSC.  A  Masters degree in SW Engineering was one of the first qualifications I had to get as soon as I began that career.

Release notes SHOULD detail all issues addressed over the prevoius firmware version.  That what they're for.

I absolutely experienced the same ReadyShare issues you did with 58 and a lot more issues  as well.  Every time the Router spontaeiously rebooted (which it's done daiy since the upgrade)  I had to go through an entire song and dance to set things back to the way I want them, including having to reset my router password via Netgear.   

I just reverted back to 42. 

Since you're reporting the same ReadyShare issues with 60 I won't be moving to that firmware release any time soon.   Netgear needs to do their own software debugging and not just throw junk out to the public to debug for them.   What we probably Should NOT expect from release notes is for Netgear to admit that a bug they introduced in 58 was NOT fixed in 60!  And appearently they made no such confession---probably didn't do any QA to even realize it.

Maybe time to try a 3rd party routr control SW/firmware as some of those seem to offer a lot more functionality than Netgears.  The R7000 is old enough that I no longer have to worry about voiding any warranties.  Netgear's support is pretty pathetic anyway.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 30
Highlighted
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Release notes do not detail all of the fixes and enhancements that new firmware delivers.

In other words, the release notes may not mention that they have fixed readyshare problems but in reality that has happened.

In other words, release notes are often incomplete.

Is that simple enough for you?

No dear Michael.

Especially security is "public" today.

I can only repeat that the so called release notes are not acceptable at all. Customers can expect a "best effort" (few human errors are allowable) list of all changes and modifications. Security fixes must include the details, the CVE vulnerability database entry related, ... 

Aside, even a release pulled must be documented - e.g. by updating the related KB entry - instead of camouflaging and hiding. Can't be that difficult, too.

Gut hey, they fail fixing things, I can't get rid of the impression they don't have the engineering and RD staff to handle things, potentially they don't even understand the proprietary code and functionality.

Message 10 of 30
Highlighted

Please fix the R7000 Firmware 1.0.9.60 ReadyShare issues.

The fault explained in this thread is easily repeatable every time. This is causing many network devices to fail. Such a simple thing that should have been noticed in basic testing.

Not only that but 1.0.9.58 totally froze the router needing a power down as the upgrade didn't finish correctly even after hours. It also wiped the admin password.

In addition QOS setting of priority is still broken.

Netgear you are so great at buggy firmware - In all your products it seems. 

Please test more. I am happy to help as mentioned before...

Rolling back a couple of editions to the previous buggy, but less buggy version.

Message 11 of 30
Highlighted
Master

You do realize no one here in this thread can do what you ask, right?

I suggest that if you are still under warranty you contact Netgear.

Message 12 of 30
Highlighted

You do realize that this is a Netgear forum and that there is no other means to contact them, right?

You cannot contact them unless you have a hardware fault, belive me I have tried many ways.

Message 13 of 30
Highlighted
Master

@Laurence3D wrote:

You do realize that this is a Netgear forum and that there is no other means to contact them, right?

You cannot contact them unless you have a hardware fault, belive me I have tried many ways.

It is a 'support forum' for Netgear, but it is basically USER to USER... Yes, there are moderator's here, but they are not true Support people. They might give a suggestion, like many of us can do for you, but they can NOT fix anything.

Want to fix the Readyshare problem, if you are on W10, enable SMB 1...

Latest firmware changed QoS and how it works... determine if you really need it? In most cases it cuts the network speed, and with today's higher speeds it might not even be needed unless you have many competing device at the same time for bandwidth.

Altough NG infers you can upgrade using wireless, that might cause problems, especially if the flash is fed from a wireless device.

Message 14 of 30
Highlighted

Well, there is no where else to report this to Netgear so I'm afraid I'm going to try here like others!

How is enabling SMB 1 on my PC going to fix the router from setting up shares completely incorrectly on my USB HDD plugged into the router? All is fine until the router restarts, where all ReadyShare settings are lost and network devices can no longer access the share as it has gone! Also all security is turned off on the share.

QoS is required for gaming purposes, I want the highest bandwidth avaliable for games / gaming PC, not for some video upload on the network to ruin that experience which has happened many times. 100Mbps download 7Mbps upload.

Thanks

Message 15 of 30
Highlighted
Master

I really don't know what your USB problem is, but I don't recall any reports here like that?

As for QoS it is dynamic now. Before a few f/w upgrades ago it was not. You have no real control over it now. Might want to look at these links:

https://kb.netgear.com/25617/How-does-Dynamic-QoS-help-improve-my-Nighthawk-router-s-Internet-traffi... (I admit, basically useless).

https://kb.netgear.com/25615/How-do-I-manually-update-the-Dynamic-QoS-database-on-my-Nighthawk-route... (make sure you've done this, but it might not do much).

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Quality-Service-Prioritization-Explained/dp/B01LP89MBI

Don't like the way it works? Well it was introduced back in Firmware Version 1.0.7.12, you could put that one, but you'd lose a lot of fixes (or breaks) and many of those are Security fixes... If nothing else, I'd save my configuration, give that f/w a try, and see if that helps you. If it does, determine if you are willing to stay on it, possibly forever. Doesn't work any better (quite possible) then put back the latest f/w and reload the configuration file.

To be fair, I've not seen a lot of complaints about Dynamic QoS here either?

I suggest you start NEW threads for these two problems, maybe someone can help you, but here, it is burried and may not get the exposure you want.

Message 16 of 30
Highlighted

I've updated my R7000 to this firmware (1.0.9.60) recently and I've got the same issue with Readyshare as well. Everytime I reset the router all the mapped folders in Readyshare are deleted and I've got to set them back from the scratch. It's pretty annoying. By the way, it seems the router is rebooting by itself during the day, because everytime I set the folders, some hours later readyshare configuration is completely reset as if I had rebooted.

As soon as possible, I'll roll back the firmware to version 1.0.9.42 which I had been using before this update messed my router.

Message 17 of 30
Highlighted

@felipemotta wrote:

By the way, it seems the router is rebooting by itself during the day, because everytime I set the folders, some hours later readyshare configuration is completely reset as if I had rebooted.

Reports of these spontaneous reboots are cropping up too often,and not just on the R7000.

As yet I haven't managed to smoke any response out of Netgear, but another Superuser chipped in with a thought that had occured to me. Is your R7000 set up to update its firmware automatically? If so, try turning it off.

By the way rebooting does not reset, and should not mess with the readyshare configuration. This makes me ask it your reference to "Everytime I reset the router" means a full factory reset or just a reboot.

Just another user.

Message 18 of 30
Highlighted

You're completely right. My bad. What I've really meant is "Every time I reboot the router all the mapped folders in Readyshare are deleted and I've got to set them back from the scratch." In other words, the readyshare configuration is not persisting after a reboot as it should.

When it comes to firmware update I never set it to automatically do it, because I'm pretty aware that it might brick my router if something like a blackout occurs during an update.

Message 19 of 30
Highlighted

@felipemotta wrote:
When it comes to firmware update I never set it to automatically do it, because I'm pretty aware that it might brick my router if something like a blackout occurs during an update.

Me too. I like to control my own life.

It doesn't solve the problem, but can you save the Readyshare configuration and reload it when the reboot wipes out your settings?

Does sanity return if you revert to older firmware?

By the way, you are now riding on the tail of an ageing and growing discussion, that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Just another user.

Message 20 of 30
Highlighted
Initiate

I've the same problem with the readyshare. I would like to know when the Netgear releases a fix for this error.

Message 21 of 30
Highlighted

Same issue with readyshare, ftp speed across a wirless bridge also dropped by 30 MB/sec.

Message 22 of 30
Highlighted
Tutor

Same issue here. Attached two USB hard drivers to USB ports. The USB 3.0 port works fine, but the share name of USB 2.0 port always reset to the default name.

Message 23 of 30
Highlighted

I can confirm that using a new device or the USB 3 port makes no difference on 1.0.9.60. Before I was using USB 2 port. USB2 device or USB3 device. Same bug exists.

This is after factory resetting and a complete new firmware rewrite using tftp (I had to, it bricked when trying to flash 1.0.9.60 again!)

@xodi what is your "folder / device" name? Perhaps this is the issue. The problem always seems to happen on "U:\" but with "T:\" perhaps not?

P.S I am in talks with Netgear regarding this Smiley Happy.

Message 24 of 30
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same problem that after reset or a power cycle of the R7000 router (firmware 1.0.9.60), all network maps of the attached USB devices are reset to default. This reply is to remind Netgear on the issue.

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements