Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Firmware Bug 1.0.6.28

AddisonTech
Guide

The other night, I flashed the firmware, as the router notified me of an update to version 1.0.6.28_1.1.83.  After doing so, my wife's laptop will no longer connect to the home 2.4 GHz network; however it will connect to the guest network.  I also noticed the same behavior on my Galaxy S5, which, strangely enough, will connect to the 5G band, as it always has.  I even changed the passkey on the 2.4GHz home network and went so far as to make a slight change in the SSID, neither of which worked.  Thinking that there is a bug in that firmware, I downgraded to the old version: 1.0.5.48_1.1.79.  That solution did not solve the problem.  With my wife's laptop connected only to the guest network, she can no longer print to the wireless laser printer, nor can she access the NAS to view and store files.  I haven't yet performed a factory reset; however if that may be the only option, I can do that.

Message 1 of 74

Accepted Solutions
AddisonTech
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Bug

So far, so good.  I just flashed my R7000 and it even kept my modified IP settings, so I don't have to modify those parameters.  It appears to "see" the connected devices, and my Samsung printer works on the IP that was assigned.  If I notice any glitches, I'll post again.  Also, will Arlo be in the final version and off by default?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 66 of 74

All Replies
AddisonTech
Guide

I just discovered that my wireless laser printer is not connected to the 2.4GHz home network, either.  The MAC shows up in the device list and not the IP address.  I can't connect to it through the SyncThru service using the static IP I had assigned it.

Message 2 of 74
AddisonTech
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Bug 1.0.6.28

I just reset the R7000 to factory default, then went through and changed the parameters I had set up.  The current firmware is back to 1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and connections to the home WiFi now seem to be fine.  My wireless laser printer is now back on the list of attached devices, and my Galaxy S5 can now connect to the 2.4GHz network.  Next step is to be sure my wife's laptop can connect, although at this point I'll assume that it can.  Meanwhile, I hope Netgear can figure out what happened in the firmware upgrade that caused the 2.4GHz WiFi to "go south".  I won't flash the firmware, until I see a notice that this glitch is fixed.

Message 3 of 74
GaryN
Aspirant

I am running into the same problem on that version. The 5Ghz band seems OK, but the 2.4Ghz clients can't connect. If I reboot the router, the 2.4Ghz clients can connect for a day or two. Hopefully, there will be a firmware update to fix this one fairly soon.

Message 4 of 74
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No problem with 2.4 or 5g other than a problem ( on one PC ) after update 2.4 would not connect. It was resolved by deleting or forgetting prior connection.

Been using it since last Sunday

Message 5 of 74
mjgraf
Initiate

hopefully this is being monitored by netgear because I just updated to the 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 release and now my wireless devices are dropping connections.

It was fine with the previous release.

Message 6 of 74
TheEther
Guru

@mjgraf wrote:

hopefully this is being monitored by netgear because I just updated to the 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 release and now my wireless devices are dropping connections.

It was fine with the previous release.

This is well known.  Perform a factory reset and reconfigure by hand.

Message 7 of 74
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue so I downgraded to previous firmware and everything is fine....Should I do a factory reset and try new firmware? There seems to be a issue with mobile devices connecting to the newest firmware release.

Message 8 of 74
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Does anyone know if WMM off speeds up the wifi connection?

Message 9 of 74
LeeH
Prodigy

"I'm having the same issue so I downgraded to previous firmware and everything is fine....Should I do a factory reset and try new firmware? There seems to be a issue with mobile devices connecting to the newest firmware release. "

I wouldn't upgrade if you are happy with your routers performance.  Any time you change firmware you should reset, flash and reset again.  Each reset with the reset button on the back pressed for at least 10 seconds until the lights flash.  Also make sure you enter your configuration by hand and not from a backup file.

Message 10 of 74
mjgraf
Initiate

after reading more and more I disabled the new Arlo feature (did not notice that was added) and that has, so far, stopped the wifi from dropping. no reboot or factory reset.

performing a factory reset just seems like poor flash development or implementation.

then some comments about restoring exported settings does not even work, that is even worse! which to means means they changed the backend so much there was no conversion table implemented for settings. will look into this more.

Message 11 of 74
gorDelpus
Aspirant

Just updated to the 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 firmware. Guest network working fine. Main 2.4 network not working. Can't login. Tried disabling Arlo. No change.

Message 12 of 74
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When I downgraded to the last firmware release my router has been working fine.

Message 13 of 74
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have been using 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 since it came out, no issues with 2.4Ghz at all. all devices work fine like PS4 My TV, printer etc.

Message 14 of 74
LeKeiser
Luminary

The fact that you have to reenter all the time all the settings suxx big time, I wonder what's the point of having a backup then. This is also something that Netgear should work on. 

You're going to say that the backups are good if you don't change the firmware. But then, what's the point of having to load the backups if you're not changing anything? 

Message 15 of 74
JamesGL
Master

Message 16 of 74
Retired_Member
Not applicable

1.0.6.28 FIRMWARE IS HOSED !!!!!

Until today I truly hadn't had any issues with it. A few minutes ago I decided to turn off 2.4 and see how my network would handle it. I was shocked to see the Arlo SSID (netgear02-arlo_246656) pop up when checking INSSIDER. Make NO MISTAKE is was not there and hadn't been since disabling it last Sunday.

So I checked router setup and Arlo WAS STILL DISABLED. SO how the blank did it turn it self on? I'm seriously TIRED of wasting time doing YOUR job. TEST YOUR GD FIRMWARE.

Message 17 of 74
jsperber
Aspirant

I have the same problem!

Message 18 of 74
jsperber
Aspirant

This is my problem also. Anyone knows what to do?

Message 19 of 74
JamesGL
Master

Hi jsperber,

Have you performed a factory reset already on the router after the update? If not, please reset the router and manually reconfigure it. 

Message 20 of 74
gorDelpus
Aspirant

After hearing NOTHING from Netgear about this issue, decided to put AdvancedTomato on my router (https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r7000). 2.4 working fine. 5.0 much more stable. Guest network a little complicated to set up and, all-in-all, many more settings to play around with, but I'm much happier with it. If you decide to go this way, follow their installation instructions exactly.

Message 21 of 74
ender2003
Tutor

When I loaded firmware 1.0.6.23_1.1.83 on my Nighthawk R7000, it automatically enabled ARLO on my network. I don't own any ARLO devices and will never use it, but this firmware created a brand new SSID on my router that broadcast on the SAME CHANNEL as my 2.4 Ghz network. For a networking company, this really makes me question the technical knowledge of the engineers at Netgear.

When the ARLO SSID popped up on my network, it totally killed my 2.4Ghz network because it was on the same channel. The interference made my connection to my normal SSID drop out every couple of seconds. It wasn't until I opened up a Wifi scanner that I noticed the new SSID. When I updated the firmware, I did not see any alerts that the new SSID would be set up and enabled. Looking at the Genie settings, I was unable to find the ARLO setting to turn it off. It wasn't until I logged in to the web interface of the router (isn't the Genie software supposed to make it so we don't have to do this?) that I saw the setting to turn off ARLO.

Why in the world would a networking company do something so asinine? This is making me question my purchase of this router.

And, I just noticed that the firmware update also enabled Genie Media Server, again without my input. So I have to go look for the setting to disable this as well. How about when new features like these are added, we are given a choice as to whether we want them enabled?

Message 22 of 74
TheEther
Guru

With regard to sharing the 2.4 GHz channel by the ARLO SSID and your regular SSID, there's nothing asinine about it.  The guest network, when enabled, operates in the same manner, and it certainly doesn't kill the channel.  There certainly could be a bug, but in the absence of this, the channel should not be significantly affected by the ARLO SSID.

You can certainly question the benefit of enabling a new feature by default, but I will point out that it is well established that features are almost never used when they are disabled by default.

Message 23 of 74
ender2003
Tutor

As soon as I disabled the Arlo SSID (the option was only available in the Web interface, not the Genie interface) my 2.4Ghz connection was stable again. I do not use the Guest network for the same reason, having multiple SSIDs on the same wireless channel is a poor plan because of the interference caused by congestion. If interference is not an issue, then why do routers generally search for a non-crowded channel upon boot if set for auto-channel? Why do apartment complexes usually have wifi issues because of so many SSIDs broadcasting on the same channel?

Sorry, I'm an IT engineer with a background in networking, so I have a little bit of knowledge about this. If there have been recent advances that make channel congestion a non-issue, then that is great. However, I have never seen it to be a good idea to have multiple SSIDs on the same channel.

And I know that new features are often overlooked if they are not enabled by default. Perhaps the router could enter a "New Feature Setup" mode after a new firmware and show users all the new features with options to configure them. If the feature is simply enabled but the user is not aware of it, that still doesn't mean it is being used - just that it is enabled. For example, I have no Arlo devices on my network that would utilize the new Arlo SSID, and I use Plex so I have no need for the Genie media server. 

Message 24 of 74
TheEther
Guru

It is not quite accurate to call the congestion from multiple SSIDs using the same channel as interference.  Interference implies a disorderly disruption.  In fact, multiple SSIDs on the same channel cooperate in a very orderly fashion using the CSMA/CA mechanisms built into Wi-Fi.  Since you have an IT background, this is no different than overlaying multiple IP subnets on the same Ethernet segment.  The individual subnets operate as ships in the night but share the same physical medium.  So it goes with multiple SSIDs on the same Wi-Fi channel.  

OTOH, you do get interference from multiple SSIDs operating on adjacent, overlapping channels, such as channels 1 and 2.  In this case, transmissions on one channel are literally noise to the other channels.  There is no cooperation across channels, so retransmissions can be quite frequent to the detriment of both channels.  That is why it is recommended that people only use channels 1, 6 and 11 because they don't overlap.

In spite of the above, it certainly makes sense to find the least congested channel in order to maximize the available bandwidth, but there's nothing wrong with having multiple SSIDs use the same channel.  A router would literally need another radio to avoid multiplexing two SSIDs on the same channel.

Your suggestion about introducing new features is not bad.  You can post it in the Idea Exchange forum.

Message 25 of 74
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7