Re: R7000 Firmware Update Problems Installing

GrantNG
Aspirant

R7000 Firmware Update Problems Installing

How can a tech company set up the most confusing process to update firmware??? 1) Receive emails (from something that begins kb. not www.netgear... so toss up all types of red flags. a] Got two Important Security Advisory Notification emails on June 20th - one was an Update --- thinking it was a confusing ineffective first email (No Surprise)... 2) Don't have easily available press releases discussing "vulnerabilities - remote Turn On" and supposed "hotfixes" so consumers will get quick answers and proceed easily with solutions. "Hotfixes" - wow many in Netgear must be laughing at that since nothing appears to be either hot or a fix at Netgear.... 3) Download Firmware (e.g. 1.0.11.100) that doesn't automatically install with popup "run file" and install process. Just have files sit in Download files. 4) Leave consumers with 1 hour less of life to enjoy and without the ability to install the recommended update. 5) Also - why can't I select or add a model number in second form box above? May want to check that too. 6) Who runs Netgear's Customer Service Operations ---- goldfish? Are there 50 goldfish in bowls in cubicles all staring at each other? Realized my checkbox for "Remote Management" wasn't checked so I have nothing to worry about. Decided to upgrade firmware for other fixes/updates which sent me down this time-wasting rabbit hole. As someone who has designed CSR operations - try having someone not wearing a Netgear employee badge follow the processes you ask consumers to follow on various customer service portals. That is unless the consultants don't want their work checked/verified. Now does anyone available to recommend simple 1, 2, 3 process to SUCCESSFULLY download and install 1.0.11.100 update?
Message 1 of 9
Portwey84
Luminary

@GrantNG  I absolutely 100 percent feel your pain and exasperation.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061991/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-102-Hot-Fix

This firmware was released this very day.

My only recommendation, don't flash the firmware wirelessly, do it over ethernet. I certainly won't be upgrading using the Nighthawk App. That's a personal decision. I also disconnect all Wifi in my browser GUI before I attempt any firmware upgrades. Again, a personal decision.

I'm now having to make the decision as to whether I should in fact upgrade to this latest 'Hotfix' firmware release.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] 1) Receive emails (from something that begins kb. not
> www.netgear... [...]

Why would you expect e-mail from anything which begins "www."?

What matters in e-mail is not how anything begins, but how it ends.
For example, I would not trust "www.netgear.kyivstar.net" over, say,
"mta2.e.netgear.com".

> [...] 3) Download Firmware (e.g. 1.0.11.100) that doesn't
> automatically install with popup "run file" and install process. [...]

Not every Netgear customer has exactly one Netgear device, or one
type of computer/operating system, so such a highly automated procedure
would cause much more harm than good.

Here's a radical concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "firmware".
It's not that complicated.

Message 3 of 9
GrantNG
Aspirant

I've been in the tech industry for over 20 years and I've never experienced anything like this for updates so it is a big deal - or expect 5% to do so as instructed...

The email came to me as kb.netgear, not netgear.kb so that's why the alarm bells went off. Especially since a search for kb.netgear came up with scrambled eggs.

So yes...that and the rest of my comments are spot on for dog poop CSR activities - regardless if you are a consultant or wear a Netgear employee badge and are defending the B.S. Show me another tech company's update that doesn't have an easily identifiable press release or web URL to proceed cautiously and takes less than 3 minutes and your point will be proven.

If not, continue to hide in your cubicle and consume your company provided free lunch or soylent green...

Message 4 of 9
GrantNG
Aspirant

Now that's some sound advice - thanks!!!

Message 5 of 9
antinode
Guru

> I've been in the tech industry for over 20 years [...]

And yet, with all that experience, you provide a problem description
like "The email came to me as kb.netgear, not netgear.kb", instead of
using copy+paste to provide some real information about that message,
instead of your vague description of what you believe that it said.

> [...] Show me another tech company's update that doesn't have [...]

Did you not find the Release Notes in the firmware kit and/or on the
Downloads Web page?  Netgear Release Notes tend to have rather low
value, but they usually do exist, and are rather conspicuous.

> Now that's some sound advice - thanks!!!

"that"?  As you may have noticed (and someone with your vast
experience should have), replies in these forums are not closely tied to
any particular posting.

Message 6 of 9
GrantNG
Aspirant

What kind of a noodle are you...don't bother - I've answered that for you.

Two emails (one an update/clarification) in 24 hours on altering your router gets your attention. My obvious point is any company recommending updates/corrective action should have ZERO confusion on the source.  Netgear.com would have been preferred, not some kb.netgear --- especially when you can't find "kb.netgear" anywhere. It's like seeing someone walking with a can of gasoline and offering up your car for them to drive away, alone, anywhere they want to go. Not recommended. 

Obviously the "Now that's some sound advice - thanks!!!" was not directed at you. It was for Portwey84 who had useful information.

Still waiting for an official response from Netgear on providing concise, useful, and obviously official information sincel no action has been taken based on these two alerts.

Message 7 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] any company recommending updates/corrective action should have
> ZERO confusion on the source. [...]

It's usually possible to find someone who is confused by almost
anything.  For example, which part of "using copy+paste to provide some
real information about that message" was unclear?  Without being able to
examine the header of an e-mail message, it's not possible to determine
its source, no matter how much experience "in the tech industry" one
might have.  Throwing insults around seems to be the field in which most
of your experience lies.  Answering relevant technical questions
apparently isn't.

> Still waiting for an official response from Netgear [...]

I wouldn't hold my breath, especially when you rant in a user forum
instead of contacting Netgear support directly.

Message 8 of 9
labatt
Prodigy

@GrantNG wrote:

Still waiting for an official response from Netgear on providing concise, useful, and obviously official information sincel no action has been taken based on these two alerts.

Good luck with waiting. Netgear is lucky to even get you a firmware update, much less actually put out information. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements