Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Firmware Update?

Sezro626
Guide

R7000 Firmware Update?

I have been having WiFi issues daily. It cuts out sometimes multiple times a day. Is there an easy way to update the firmware? I'm currently using v1.0.9.88_10.2.88 I would like to restore it to a previous version. I am trying to avoid a hard reset because it is a pain to reset up evertyhting especially Ring.

Can I download a previously version and upload to the GUI?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I'd highly recommend against the app. 

When we see corrupt firmware issues, it tends to be when people update via the app or via wifi. 

here's what I'd recommend. And to use a wired connection. Just my thoughts. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can download the older firmware and install it if you'd prefer. You can even use the newer versions (the one you're on isn't the latest).

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

I'd still recommend a factory reset with the R7000 with firmware changes just because resetting has been shown to give the r7000 the best results. Especially when going from the .88 version to an older version. (because it got netgear armor added)

Message 2 of 5
Sezro626
Guide

I will try to update to the latest version through the app. I think last time it didn't work. @plemans 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I'd highly recommend against the app. 

When we see corrupt firmware issues, it tends to be when people update via the app or via wifi. 

here's what I'd recommend. And to use a wired connection. Just my thoughts. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 4 of 5
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Sezro626 wrote:

I will try to update to the latest version through the app. I think last time it didn't work. @plemans 

As advised, I definitely wouldn't update via the app. Do it via a wired connection as @plemans suggested. Furthermore, I also suggest turning off WiFi in the router itself prior to flashing the firmware and unplugging anything else connected to the router.

I've had my own router for 15 months now from new and I'm on my 6th successful router firmware update and I've experienced nil issues with each upgrade. I'm now on the latest Hotfix firmware released in the last week.

I'd also like to make it clear, I've not once bothered to reboot the router prior to any firmware upgrades. The router will reboot itself once it's successfully uploaded the firmware file. I've not ever done a factory reset either.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7