Reply

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

decalpha
Guide

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

Hi,

  Earlier (while on firmware version 1.0.6) I was seeing connectivity issues with 2.4 GHz band.

  And, it seemed that the above mentioned firmware was pulled by Netgear.

  Finally decided to flash 1.0.5.70 from Netgear website.

  Before and after downgrading the firmware, a reset was done just to be sure.

 

  Problem: After the upgrade, coverage has drastically reduced on both bands that is 2.4 and 5 GHz.

  Should I downgrade further to 1.0.4.x ?

  Note:

   1. My D-Link Modem is setup in bridge mode.

   2. QOS is disabled.

   3. IIRC GUI Version is still shown as 1.0.6.x

 

Regards,

Prashant

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

Is WMM enabled? It should be.

 

Did you re-enter your settings or did you reload saved settings. Re-entering is required on a downgrade after resetting the router.

Message 2 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

WMM is enabled.

Regrading settings, they were entered manually.

 

Regards,

Prashant

Message 3 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@decalpha wrote:

WMM is enabled.

Regrading settings, they were entered manually.

 

Regards,

Prashant


I'm at a loss, working fine for me and has better 'range power' than the older V1.0.4.30 official f/w.

 

I'm using WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] supposedly will work with more devices, but a friend had problems connecting with it... so if not on WPA2-PSK (AES) give it a try.

 

Also you might want to get Acrylic For Windows and run it and try changing channels to see if that improves range and power.

 

Other that those, I'm out of ideas?

Message 4 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

Could also try this beta, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-6-54/m-p/1100967#U11..., one of the fixes is improved 2.4Ghz Stability.

Message 5 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@IrvSp wrote:

@decalpha wrote:

WMM is enabled.

Regrading settings, they were entered manually.

 

Regards,

Prashant


I'm at a loss, working fine for me and has better 'range power' than the older V1.0.4.30 official f/w.

 

I'm using WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] supposedly will work with more devices, but a friend had problems connecting with it... so if not on WPA2-PSK (AES) give it a try.

 

Also you might want to get Acrylic For Windows and run it and try changing channels to see if that improves range and power.

 

Other that those, I'm out of ideas?


Hi,

   Thanks for the update. The thought of changing channels had crossed my mind earlier, but some reason I didn't bother. Have installed Netgear Wifi Analytics on my Galaxy S5 to check the best available option.

   As far as security goes, it is set to WPA2-PSK (AES) as earlier.

   Will provide an update after trying out different channels with 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

 

Regards,

Prashant

Message 6 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@IrvSp wrote:

Could also try this beta, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-6-54/m-p/1100967#U11..., one of the fixes is improved 2.4Ghz Stability.


Hi,

  Sure, once am done with best channel selection for both the bands, will give this a shot.

  Thanks once again.

Regards,

Prashant

Message 7 of 17
Mikey94025
Prodigy

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

What method or tools are you running to determine that coverage has drastically reduced?

Message 8 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@Mikey94025 wrote:

What method or tools are you running to determine that coverage has drastically reduced?


Hi,

  Known spots at my residence with good coverage now no longer show connectivity.

  5GHz SID wouldn't even show up and 2.4GHz would drop frequently, and this is without any change in router position.

Regards,

Prashant

Message 9 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@decalpha wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@decalpha wrote:

WMM is enabled.

Regrading settings, they were entered manually.

 

Regards,

Prashant


I'm at a loss, working fine for me and has better 'range power' than the older V1.0.4.30 official f/w.

 

I'm using WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] supposedly will work with more devices, but a friend had problems connecting with it... so if not on WPA2-PSK (AES) give it a try.

 

Also you might want to get Acrylic For Windows and run it and try changing channels to see if that improves range and power.

 

Other that those, I'm out of ideas?


Hi,

   Thanks for the update. The thought of changing channels had crossed my mind earlier, but some reason I didn't bother. Have installed Netgear Wifi Analytics on my Galaxy S5 to check the best available option.

   As far as security goes, it is set to WPA2-PSK (AES) as earlier.

   Will provide an update after trying out different channels with 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

 

Regards,

Prashant


Update on channel configuration.

For 5GHz, the coverage has improved, however, it still shy by one bar as comapred to earlier version.

As far as 2.4GHz goes, there is not much improvement.

Next thing to try is the beta firmware.

 

Regards,

Prashant

Message 10 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@IrvSp wrote:

Could also try this beta, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-6-54/m-p/1100967#U11..., one of the fixes is improved 2.4Ghz Stability.


 

Has this firmware been removed ?

 

Regards,

Prashant

Message 11 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

No, it is the latest beta for people that require Arlo support that had been in the removed Beta's. You can give it a try and see if it helps.

Message 12 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@IrvSp wrote:

No, it is the latest beta for people that require Arlo support that had been in the removed Beta's. You can give it a try and see if it helps.


Afraid, I keep running into this error while trying to download the beta firmware from URL you shared:

Requested file does not exist!
 
Regards,
Prashant
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 17
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@decalpha wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

No, it is the latest beta for people that require Arlo support that had been in the removed Beta's. You can give it a try and see if it helps.


Afraid, I keep running into this error while trying to download the beta firmware from URL you shared:

Requested file does not exist!
 
Regards,
Prashant

Hmm, seems like a problem? Maybe a 'code' is needed from Support? Not sure? Go here, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Did-R7000-1-0-6-54-get-pulled/m-p/1108186#M3... and reply back to @ElaineM, she would know for sure? I tagged her so she might even reply back here as well?

Message 14 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

@decalphaThe link is now updated and you may download the beta firmware.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 15 of 17
decalpha
Guide

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems


@ElaineM wrote:

@decalphaThe link is now updated and you may download the beta firmware.


Thanks, will update once am able to flash the firmware.

 

Regards,

Prashant

Message 16 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.70 : Wifi problems

You're welcome @decalpha

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3779 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements