Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.6.28 - strange 3rd SSID

chemasi
Aspirant

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.6.28 - strange 3rd SSID

The latest firmware update for the R7000 is creating an second 2.4GHz named NETGEAR47-arlo_*random numbers*. I have a separate 2.4 GHZ and 5GHz network that I am already using.

I downgraded the router to Firmware Version 1.0.5.48 and saw that there is also an 3rd access point but without an SSID. I can see the nameless wireless network with the Wifi Analyzer Android app. So the newest update changed the name of this strange wireless network. I can't find the setting that is causing this 3rd wireless network. it's not the guest network to be clear. The guest network is completely disabled.

Is there someone else that is experiencing the same issue? Happy new year!

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

YES!  I'm seeing the same thing.

Look in the Router Settings, Left Column, ARLO:  You can enable/disable.

The Help Link states the following:

Arlo

You can turn your router into an Arlo base station by enabling Arlo on your router.

After you enable Arlo on your router, you can sync your Arlo cameras to your router.

NOTE: Enabling Arlo will cause the router to broadcast an Arlo SSID, in addition to the router’s SSID. The Arlo SSID can be used only by the Arlo cameras.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

YES!  I'm seeing the same thing.

Look in the Router Settings, Left Column, ARLO:  You can enable/disable.

The Help Link states the following:

Arlo

You can turn your router into an Arlo base station by enabling Arlo on your router.

After you enable Arlo on your router, you can sync your Arlo cameras to your router.

NOTE: Enabling Arlo will cause the router to broadcast an Arlo SSID, in addition to the router’s SSID. The Arlo SSID can be used only by the Arlo cameras.

Message 2 of 13
chemasi
Aspirant

Thanks, this is the solution. I was looking in the advanced tab instead of the basic tab.

Message 3 of 13
knetje
Initiate

I'm seeing the same thing on the 2.4GHz band, after the update to 1.0.6.28 firmware. Unfortunately, I cannot switch it off. I'm only using the 5GHz band and don't want to have an additional 2.4GHz network. I've tried disabling Arlo but that didn't help. Rebooted, checked the wireless settings, but nothing turned off the Arlo SSID.

Message 4 of 13
chemasi
Aspirant

Maybe a bit obvious, but did you press on apply?
Message 5 of 13
Obi43
Initiate

There is a bug with this firmware,  when you disable 2.4G wifi the Netgear ARLO wifi starts.  Unckecking "ARLO enable" does not solve this problem. By now only solution is install previous firmware.

Message 6 of 13
Killhippie
Prodigy

That might be by design oddly enough, if you have arlo and dont use 2.4Ghz it may broadcast arlo so the cameras stay connected when 2.4 is disabled permantly, just a guess.

Message 7 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

I tried disabling the Arlo feature and my devices can no longer detect the 3rd SSID. Can you again to manually update the firmware and perform a factory reset.

Message 8 of 13
AgesBull
Aspirant

Hi Obi43, how do you install previous firmware?

the 1.0.6.28 update does not allow me to connect to routerlogin.net or .com, or connect via the IP address.

Thank you,

Message 9 of 13
Bersaglio
Tutor

Try disconnecting WAN cable and then perform a factory reset using paper clip (You should continuously pressing the button for more than 30 seconds until router lights starts flashing).

Message 10 of 13
Yis
Tutor
Tutor

I was having the same problem with the Arlo SSID being broadcasted even when the settings were turned off. Downgrading and upgrading the firmware back to 1.06.28 AND THEN performing a factory reset after the upgrade solved that problem. The Arlo settings now respond correctly.

Message 11 of 13
jmdacruz
Aspirant

I'll see if I can avoid a factory reset... this is quite annoying, and I never had an issue like this in 3 years of using my R7000. I first noticed this not because of the 3rd SSID, but because by 2.4Ghz performance had been heavily downgraded (to the point that it would become unusable)... I then found this thread.

Message 12 of 13
AndrewSayers
Tutor

Adding this by default without letting users know has to be one of the most stunningly stupid ideas I've seen, even by Netgear's standards. What is the point of it, what on earth are Arlo cameras, and wouldn't it have been far better to allow this to be switched on by anyone who happened to buy an "arlo" camera should they need it!?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7