Highlighted
Star

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.7.2 problem

So I installed this firmware last week.

For some reason, over the last few days it has been dropping connections repeatedly. Performance has been sporadic. It actually got progressively worse, up to the point today, where it would not stay connected.

I hard reset the router, and reset up the wired and wireless connections from scratch. The behavior continued.

I checked all my cables, and connected directly to the Cable modem, worked fine. I reset everything and reset the router a second time, set the router up again, same problem.

I then downgraded my router to a previous firmware version. Problem gone.

Go fix it it Netgear! Hopefully others will chime in should they have had similar experiences.

Message 1 of 25
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.7.2 problem

Message 2 of 25
Highlighted
Star

Uhhh... The fix to this issue is not to install an alternative firmware. Netgear owes the community a stable firmware and if 1.0.7.2 is not it, then they need to pull it and issue a notice.

Perhaps this problem is unique to me, but it's odd it started after updating, and after 2 resets with no love, reverting seems to solve it
Message 3 of 25
Highlighted
Guru

Maybe bad hardware? Always a possibility. Open a case with support.

Message 4 of 25
Highlighted
Master

You should rever to a version that doesn't cause you issues. Don't always jump on the latest greatest simply because it's out. In 1.0.7.2, only a single fix is there for an NTP issue, IIRC. I know NETGEAR should be doing a better job, but alas I don't have any power over their QA

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 5 of 25
Highlighted
Star

Please do not post to people to NOT upgrade to newest firmware and don't insinuate that someone "just jumped on it because it was out". To defend this point, you stated the newest version is for an NTP fix. That is ONE of the things they did, and a very desirable feature to be after. Regardless, the corporate security minded world these days has begun taking great measures to actually remove the power from the end user and enabled forcing of auto updates... (ahem... Windows 10 anyone? ... Google Play Post Dec 2015 ToS?). It is generally advised people update software and firmware if the official vendor has released a driver, firmware, or software tool, etc. etc.  In fact, most notices which advise a user *NOT* to update unless they are having a problem is solely to avoid introducing one should it fail (especially when we're talking firmware).

Regardless, there is an expected value to be gained from using this newer firmware, should the problem be in the firmware itself, then the community should be aware. This is an opportunity for people to echo similar concenrs if they are having them, which in turn would allow others to be aware of similar issues.

Anyways, with this said, I flashed 1.0.7.2 on it again, same problem, I went back to 1.0.5.7 and as luck would (not) have it, it actually failed overnight.A quick power off/on reset and it recovered and began cruising.

So my thoughts are now that coincidence may have ensued, or, possibly 1.0.7.2 shortened the life of my R7000, perhaps upon use/load it is tripping off. Very upsetting.I keep my equipment clean and properly located, tethered, etc. (somewhat OCD about it in fact).

The unit is just shy of 2 years old. Clearly, I would not be getting a free replacement from Netgear :'o

Overall I have been pleased with the performance of my Netgear products so I bit the bullet and grabbed an X8 (R8500). Hooked it up with **EXACTLY** the same settings and cables as before (minus the power cord to the X8), and it is working without fail. (oh yea, I accepted the "newer" firmware as adverstised via their update process... many bug fixes).

So in summary - Netgear community, if you use your network heavily, and are skeptical at all, just be wary of 1.0.7.2? I mean, they pulled 1.0.6 right? Hopefully this was (or was not) just a coincidence - so if others have noticed issues after accepting 1.0.7.2, post up!!! GL.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 25
Highlighted
Master

Jeez, I must have pressed a button... why did you upgrade in the first place? Did it fix something for you? No it didn't. What it did is "broke" things instead. My advice is still valid. Now you're throwing money at the problem instead of staying at your older version and enjoying life. 

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 7 of 25
Highlighted
Master

No point in upgrading to the latest and (maybe) greatest firmware just because - unless there's an apparent fix for something you need..Typically, these updates fix one thing and break a bucnch of other stuff. So, "if it ain't really broke, don't fix it".

EDIT: No one should have allowed Windows 10 to update automatically. 

Message 8 of 25
Highlighted
Star

I agree Smiley Happy  (I'm not even using Windows 10, it was just an example of what the future holds.... alas, the future is now).

The main point being, 1.0.7.2 fixed an NTP issue, that IS a desirable feature (btw I do not use ARLO, a notable complaint in 1.0.7.2 - thus, yes, I read the notes prior to just jumping on the firmware). Since I'm not setup with a domain controller, going to your router for NTP service is ideal. Regardless, case in point, there is no need to defend *why* one chooses to upgrade vs. *NOT* upgrade. This is indeed NETGEAR's official firmware release and when you log into your router, they sure make sure you know its available. Gladly, NETGEAR is not M$ and doesn't force us to upgrade firmware. (Thankfully, because we all know a failed upgrade can brick a device).

Either way - as I noted in my post following the thoughtful comment about it being possible hardware *(which I had not fully excluded yet), I ran overnight with the downgraded firmware, and it did fail (only once, but still). A quick power reset and it was working again. Regardless, this has not been the behavior over the last year or so, so again, clearly something was wrong. While I did not mention this part in my preiosu post, (because it was mostly irrelevant); as a last ditch effort I even tried DD-WRT Kong build out only after each of those tests, and suprise suprise, it still dropped connection.

Thus my follow up - Perhaps 1.0.7.2 had an impact, and maybe others will note a similar issue over time; or, perhaps it was coincidence and just my R7000's time - but with a new router and nothing else different it is working flawlessly. Worth noting on the forum! It would not be the first time hindsight being 20/20 would show a firmware release was a detriment (should it come to light that is true for this one).

Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 25
Highlighted
Master

Hi noybman,

Please check your inbox.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 25
Highlighted

I upgraded to 1.0.7.2 and started dropping wireless connections. I downgraded back to 1.0.5.70 and the problem stopped.

Message 11 of 25
Highlighted
Guide

I'm having this problem too.

Here we go again.

Message 12 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. It started yesterday, and continues after resetting, reflashing, rebooting, etc. The modem stays connected to the internet, but the devices lose WAN and LAN and router has to be restarted to restore connection for, maybe, up to 25 - 30 min before it drops again. I've looked all over the net for solutions and none have worked so far. I will probably try downgrading to earlier version tonight.

Message 13 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

+1

My wireless connections (haven't noticed it for wired) get dropped sporadically, several times an hour. They do reconnect, without restarting the router tough. Still, annoying...

I do agree with noybman. As a simple user, I rely completely on the manufacturer doing their "best" at providing good service. After all, that's the reason we chose their product over the others (assuming we weren't suckered in by the salesperson Smiley Happy When a firmware update comes out, I tend to apply it, simply because "they [Netgear] know better", and since it's a "fix", they found something to be broken. I don't have to get a "PhD" to figure out what was broken, do I have it, will it fix it for me, and (good luck with this one) will it break something else... You may call me "ignorant" (and you'll probably be right), but we're looking for solutions here, not for "why'd you do it?" questions. Advising someone downgrading back to an older version just because you don't know the answer isn't (real) help.

Noybman, thank you for starting the post

Message 14 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

My router is having the same issues for 1.0.7.2. All connections die. Cannot connect wirelessly or wired. Must hard reset router to regain function for another 30 minutes or so before it dies again. Please fix netgear!!!

Message 15 of 25
Highlighted
Guide

OK, it's a couple of months later and all I see here are reports of slowdowns and dropped connections after taking 1.0.7.2.

Has this gotten better?  Are these issues still pervasive or perhaps just one-in-a-hundred occurances?

Message 16 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

I hate to admit it, but I had to downgrade to a previous firmware version (1.0.5.70). I still get hickups, but less frequently.

It's a shame that such a good (powerful) router doesn't perform to its best. "You let me down, Netgear!" Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 25
Highlighted
Guide

I upgraded firmware to 1.07.2_1.1.93 from 1.05.44_1.1.77 and my Toshiba USB 3.0 was no longer recognized when attached to the USB 3.0 port.  I moved it to the USB 2.0 port and it worked, but obviously at lower data rate.  I reinstalled firmware 1.05.44_1.1.77 and the USB 3.0 port starting working again.  I have another USB 3.0 drive that is a newer but smaller drive - 500 GB versus 3 TB - that I will try this weekend to see if it is unique to the drive. I will also try my wife's 2 TB Seagate drive that her laptop backs up to.   I'm on Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.447 which is the latest. I have systems with 64 bit and 32 bit versions.  All could not see the USB drive and the USB light and login to the router show no USB drive attached when connected to the USB 3.0 port with the 1.0.7.2 firmware.  I have not otherwise had any readyshare connect issues that some have had with Windows 10 updates.

Message 18 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

I updated my firmware last week and every since it has been dropping connections on a seeming random basis.  Current configuration is

Hardware VersionR7000

Firmware VersionV1.0.7.2_1.1.93

GUI Language VersionV1.0.7.2_2.1.38.2

At first I thought it was Time Warner Cable being flaky but now I am not so sure.

Message 19 of 25
Highlighted
Star

So, I solved my original problem.

As I originally posted, it seemed possibly coincidental especially after downgrading and trying DD-WRT as well. I had reasons to be willing to upgrade to the latest hardware, and recognized it was possible the hardware was bad.

Now I have two excellent Netgear routers. R7000 & R8500.

I actually ended up experiencing the issue with the R8500 a few days/weeks later. So clearly I needed to investigate more.

The issue turned out to be a bad software setup (ftp) and a value configured for bandwidth limiting was incorrect. (Set too high for the actual upstream speed). A client connected, retrieved a file and starved the upstream connection causing a disconnect. Resting the router, flashing it, replacing it, etc, simply caused the client to timeout. When it retried the connect and began downloading.. Bang, Drop

So it was coincidence. I no longer have any thoughtful concerns with 1.0.72. It sure would have been nice if the routers logs gave a line entry that it was not receiving an ACK, or the DOCSIS handshake dropped.. Or something. Without going through an iptables gateway or hardware appliance, we really do rely on the router to give us that as a first hop in most topologies.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Perhaps this will help one of you (although I doubt you'll have the same sw issue, it could be meaningful if you have a client our clients, starting your upstream or downstream bandwidth)
Message 20 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

Noybman, your latest post seeded encouragement and hope is again sprouting Smiley Happy
Although I'm afraid to ask how were you able to identify the culprit (the client starting the upstream connection), I hope for some tips on how to. If it's not to complicated, would you mind sharing the steps or giving some directions?

Message 21 of 25
Highlighted
Star

Well, obviously all of our experiences are not identical, but I suppose any one of us could have a setup where we push the speed limit our provider caps us at. It's just unfamiliar to me that the modem hardware would even try to allow it.

Can't even begin to blame Netgear. As a router, it should not need to care what you speed cap is. Their newest R8500 does have QoS metering based on manual or auto detected speeds test. So... You CAN have the router impact it. But I do not, nor have I.

I typically leave QoS off. We use internet for streaming, gaming, file transfer, web browsing, etc.
The router does have a daily traffic meter if you enable it.
Since the issue continued, I reset power to the router and only allowed one client (the one I was using to be connected). It worked for a few hours, so I enabled the rest of the devices in my home. The issue nearly happened within ten minutes.
So looking at the bandwidth meter I saw the spike, and I knew what devices were active and which weren't.
It was easy to then use process of elimination. Too bad the router firmware doesn't inherently tell you which clients use what # up/down.
The machine causing/allowing the spike had an ftp server on it. It was easy to fix there forward.

For the problem I reported above, the modem never lost sync. I had no reason to suspect service (twc) issues. The router, would show internet as red, and no connection to the modem. Resetting it of course, caused all clients to disconnect and reconnect when the router was back online, and when the file transfer started again, it would drop.

So for trouble shooting steps, mine are above. But generically people should look at their traffic meter. Do a speed test (when you aren't in the middle of an issue)... Comparing the two should raise a red flag if you see your router reporting a spike near your limit.
You can turn off or block all devices besides one and test with a known, clean, (non infected) computer configuration.

Please realize voip, Netflix, torrent, ftp, and infected systems all use internet and can use a lot of it. Hopefully the noted above help you identify if your problem is even in this arena

Message 22 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you very much noybman. I'll try the elimination process. I too have many devices on the LAN. Hope to find the "sucker" Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

As part of my troubleshooting, I replaced my cable modem (a Motorola surfboard) with a new Netgear CM700 cable modem.  This seems to have resolved the issue for me and speed testing on the new CM700 shows about a 100MB download speed increase.

Message 24 of 25
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for sharing fremen325. That's a nice modem. Most of the stores don't even have it yet.

My service (optimum) is capped at 50MB (down) though. I get about 52-55MB on my Motorola Surfboard.

I'll stick to "elimination" (for now) rather than chelling out another $150 (or so).

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements