Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.10 frequently disconnects devices on 5GHz band

FvAT
Tutor

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.10 frequently disconnects devices on 5GHz band

I just upgraded the router from firmware ..9.6 to 9.10. However I find that the router frequently disconnects devices connected on the 5GHz band. If I connect such a device to 2.4 and then back to 5 it is okay for a while. So I downgraded to ..9.6 and the problem is solved.

I thought I should let you guys know.

Enjoy, Freek

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FvAT
Tutor

1.0.9.12 fixed it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

First note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

Message 2 of 10
xrcd
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem. No, I didn't factory reset, but what are the chances that two different users get the exact same random problem because of this this? Would be nice if sbdy from Netgear would investigate and come up with a clear answer instead.

Message 3 of 10

@xrcd wrote:

No, I didn't factory reset

The first thing that Netgear's team will tell you to try is a reset. Don't do it and they can't really fulfill your request for a clear answer.

@xrcd wrote:

...but what are the chances that two different users get the exact same random problem because of this this?

The chances are very very high if that is what it takes to fix the problem.

Message 4 of 10
Volstate
Apprentice

If the problem resurfaces (and it most likely will) then disable 5GHZ and run strictly 2.4....since I did that days ago I have had no disconnects at all.  I hope netgear gets this fixed...

Message 5 of 10
FvAT
Tutor

1.0.9.12 fixed it.

Message 6 of 10

Thanks for that report.

Nice to know that fresh firmware hasn't caused more grief than joy.

Let's hope it works for other people.

Message 7 of 10
xrcd
Aspirant

I already had V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 installed but it reduced my throughput to around 50 mbps up/down, which is why I retrograded to 1.0.9.10.

I have now again reinstalled V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 and at least for now things look good.  I remember reading something about the QoS could be the cause of deteriorated throughput with V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 but I don't recall if I looked at that at the time. It seems it defaults to being disabled. 

Message 8 of 10

@xrcd wrote:
I have now again reinstalled V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 and at least for now things look good.  I remember reading something about the QoS could be the cause of deteriorated throughput with V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 but I don't recall if I looked at that at the time. It seems it defaults to being disabled. 

The QoS thing is a common suggestion when seeking solutions to bottlenecks between modem and router. Another is to turn off the traffic meter, if it is active.

Squelching QoS is also Netgear's recommendation for people with Gb Internet. Probably on the grounds that of your Internet is that fast you probably don't need to worry about bottlenecks!

I have also seen reports of people reinstalling firmware on top of itself as a way of giving a good kicking to troublesome devices.

Unfortunately I have yet to see credible technical explanations as to why any of these things works.

Message 9 of 10
xrcd
Aspirant

Actially V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 turns out to also disconnect devices regularly - i.e. about daily.   My SOHO is in the opposite end of the house from the utility cabinet with the R7000 and there is no cable, so I have to use another Wifi-AC router with a switch in my SOHO.  Every time the R7000 disconnects the devices I have to walk out to it to reset it before the link comes up again.   

It would be nice if tthe Netgear eggheads would at least acknowledge the problem and come with an estimate for a fix. That way it is possible for users to make a calculated decision if we should just drop the device and move on to anotehr brand, or it's worth waiting for a fix.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7