Apprentice

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.12

Only 2 weeks after 1-0-9-10 :

https://kb.netgear.com/000049475/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-12

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes security issues.

Note: Firmware starting 1.0.7.12 will not include Arlo functionality

To Install

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

1. Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.
  2. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R7000-V1.0.9.12_1.2.23.chk

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.9.12_1.2.23.zip

3. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
  4. Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade. 
  5. Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
  6. Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes.
  2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade.  After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.
    Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it  may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
brhudson
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.12

I'm trying to update to this firmware version.  I've lost my router login credentials.  After entering my Serial Number (correctly) no window is displayed requesting answers to my security questions for resetting my login credentials.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Message 2 of 18
bugmenot2
Apprentice

hopefully this is in regards to the dnsmasq vulnerability:

https://security.googleblog.com/2017/10/behind-masq-yet-more-dns-and-dhcp.html

Message 3 of 18
revenue60
Aspirant

Ever since this update my phone and my wifes phone no longer get full download speeds. upload speeds are fine but download are a quarter of what I typically get. My speeds are usually between 150 to 190 Mbps download, my phone is getting lucky to get to 44 Mbps. My laptop using wifi is getting normal speeds but for some reason our phones are not. I already did a factory reset to the router and set it back up with no luck. Any reason why this began occuring and is there possibly a setting I'm missing that is causing this issue?

Message 4 of 18
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Well, in former release, a low download speed on the wifi, usually meant that the "QoS optimizing database" needed to be updated to latest version. But I just did this update on my own R7000 router, and with this release, it seems the QoS database is already latest release....so this was a change, I figured.

However, you can check and see if it somehow has not updated yours, by doing these steps:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1. Go to QoS Setup (you'll find this option under advanced/setup/QoS Setup/)

Step 2. Put a checkmark in "enable QoS" scroll down and then click on the "Update Now" button in front of the "Automatically update performance optimization database " option.  Wait for it to update.

Step 3. Remove the checkmark(important) on the "enable QoS" again and click on the green "Apply" button at the top of QoS menu.

Step 4. Log-out and do a new speedtest and now (hopefully) enjoy your new faster wifi speed! 😉

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If still not work, you can try and re-setup the wifi on your phones. Meaning, deleting the wifi profiles and re-discover the wifi network and re-enter the wifi password on your phones.

Let us know if it helps!  🙂

Message 5 of 18
BrotherTax
Aspirant

Just got the router last night. Upgraded the firmware. Was really disappointed with RF performance until I saw your recommendation to upgrade the QoS DB. Worked perfectly! This router SCREAMS! 😄
Message 6 of 18
Takethis
Aspirant

To update the QoS performance optimization database I had to check the "automatically update perfomance opt database", and then click on update now. Trying to do the manual update failed otherwise. 

Message 7 of 18
revenue60
Aspirant

You are correct! When I read your post and started thinking about it it made sense, the reason I never use QoS. Mine wasn't up to date and these steps instantly fixed my issue. Thank you and sorry for taking so long to reply, just tried it when I got back from work tonight.
Message 8 of 18
shaddoll
Tutor

the internet disconnect problem never fixed except the Japanese firmware, either 1.0.9.10 or 1.0.9.12. I hope the US ver can give concern on this problem.
The only problem on this Japanese firmware is that wifi speed cannot achieve the highest speed.

https://www.netgear.jp/supportInfo/NewSupportList/202.html
Message 9 of 18

Hi,

I have tried a lot of firmwares and also solution that is posted on https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-SLOWS-WAY-DOWN-with-Firmware-1-0-9-10-...

1.0.9.12_1.2.23 -> very bad performance I loose more than 150 mbps

1.0.9.10_1.2.21 -> the same problem. Dropping more than 150 mbps

1.0.9.6_1.2.19 -> performance is better but I still loose download speed 20 mbps

1.0.7.12_1.2.5 -> performance is better but I still losse download speed 20 mbps

1.0.7.10_1.2.3 -> performance is good. 

I have tested it with Cable and Wifi.

Please check what is going wrong after version 1.0.7.10_1.2.3 ?

Regards

Antonio

Message 10 of 18
Mr_DJ
Apprentice

Those that still experience lowered speeds after updating the QoS database, could you pleasy try and manually enter the wifi speed of your connection in the QoS menu and save it and let us know if it changes anything? 

Just to see if a theory of mine holds true!  😉

But I guess, seeing the amount of people reporting their QoS database was not latest version when flashing to this release, must mean my own little experiment of factory resetting my own R7000 didn't affect the QoS database version.

Message 11 of 18

Hi Mr_DJ,

I have tried to set it manually also.

My internet speed is 400 mbps download and 40 mbps upload.

With the new version 1.0.9.12 I only get something like 270 mbps.

I also reset it to default factory. Nothing helped. 

The highest speed is with firmware 1.0.7.10_1.

I am now back on the old firmware.

Message 12 of 18
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Antonio_Cardile Can you try to downgrade from 1.0.9.6 then upgrade once again to 1.0.9.12?

It worked for another user in this thread.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 18

Hi ElaineM,

Please check on the other thread the last comment. It is also my comment. The problem is the option “enable access control”

Message 14 of 18
aggie2
Initiate

Ever since the update to 1.0.9 i have been having major wifi issues where i am only reach 60mbps whereas before i was in 300s. I use the r7000 behind my main at&t gigabit router that is being used as passthrough. Never had any issues until recent firmware. I know this is the firmware because i just reverted back to 1.0.7.12 and i was able to regain the 300mbps. Went back to 1.0.9 and same issue dropping back to 60mbps. Screenshot attached. Please fix your firmware. Whatever you all did, it is creating wifi issues.
Message 15 of 18
Laukik
Aspirant

I upgrade to 1.0.9.12 version and now every 2 days.. I have cannot connect to wifi Issues.

The only way to recover was a physical reboot.

So downgraded to 1.0.7.10. my last version and everything is good again. I never had issues with 1.0.7.10 for over 6 months always on..

Message 16 of 18

1.0.9.12 is total garbage. Slow and unreliable wifi speeds.

When is Netgear going to release a fix for this?

Message 17 of 18
Sparksman
Aspirant

Greetings

I can confirm the bad web connection everyone mentions...

Current R7000 Firmware Version: V1.0.9.12_1.2.23

Current Connection from my ISP: 1000 Mbps down/up synchronous
(Well, theoretical; Practical usually around ~946Mbps down, ~935Mbps up)

After a full Router Reset, reconfigure it with (my) default values, when either "Security/Access Control" or "Advanced Setup/Traffic Meter" is additionally activated, after updating the settings connection speed immediately drops down to a QUARTER of the provided speed down/up!!! (measured with Ookla speedtest app on Windows 10 x64 Home Box, connected with an 2m CAT 5e cable)

Disabling those mentioned functions again brings back full speed immediately!!! (also measured with the same Ookla speedtest)

The by some posters mentioned activation/updating of QoS database didn't do anything (positive) to my speed problems, and actually I haven't used it so far, just tried it now for pure test purpose.

Summarize:

It seems that every Router function who measures the data stream will slow it significantly down (to a quarter of the usual magnitude in my case). That's somewhat sad because I'd like to activate both mentioned functions, but still can't because of those slowdowns. And I've to stick with FW V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 because of the current "KRACK" Vulnerability patched only with this FW version so far... 😕

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E