Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.20 - Hot Fix

jwmarrott
Aspirant

I should say that it wouldn't matter if you are using circle or not.  Circle intercepts and inspects data (man in the middle).  It may be that the code for Circle creates an intercept point for all traffic regardless if it is switched on. This behavior would slow everything down.  I'm only pointing out the cooincidence of the introduction of Circle and the beginning of Wifi problems.  The most successful firmware that users are reverting to is something before .10 when Circle was introduced.

Message 26 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

I'm running .18 and not using circle and have had no issues except the Google one. I'm not stable for over a week. I also just wanted people to know they are posting about .20 which is a beta version and glitches are possible.
Message 27 of 62
jwmarrott
Aspirant

Of course glitches are possible with betas.  It was also pointed out earler that there was 2 different issues going on.  Some are affected by only one or both.  The 2.4 Ghz wifi drop caused by netgear firmware instability and the Google flooding issue.  I am affected by the firmware and my comments and actions are based on that.  Those affected by firmware instability seem to go back to versions before .10 when circle was introduced. I, myself, went back to .10 so I could still use Circle and see some improvement with Wifi.

Message 28 of 62
cdysthe
Luminary

I'm on .18 with Circle enabled and it's the most stable firmware I've had on my r7000. WiFi is strong and stable. I do not want to mess that up, so no beta for me.

//CD
Message 29 of 62
hushcoden
Luminary

Let's hope they fixed it with this update: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.26 - Hot Fix

Message 30 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

Just remember it's beta firmware
Message 31 of 62
cdysthe
Luminary

@JonnyJ3 wrote:
Just remember it's beta firmware

Since it's only the file name saying "beta" it's easy to overlook. I nearly did. 

//CD
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 62

In the case of this release, this just means that it will now take a couple of weeks to go through something called "SQA testing". I think it means software quality assurance.

You never know, by then Google may have fixed the holes in its technology.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 33 of 62
dorsetweevil
Aspirant

I still haven't noticed any 2.4GHz dropouts since updating to 1.0.9.26 yesterday.

For the record I do not have, and have never had, any Chromecast devices (or other Google devices, cameras etc etc) attached.  I do not and never have used Circle.  There has been no change in devices that connect to the router, physically or via WiFi for the past several months.

The dropouts coincided exactly (as in within hours) of the firmware update a few weeks ago.  The only change to my router setup was to power-cycle the WiFi overnight after updating to 1.0.9.20 in the hope of reducing dropouts (it didn't).

I accept that some/many folk are experiencing Google-related issues, but there are most certainly Netgear firmware-specific issues also.

1.0.9.20 did not seem to fix the dropouts for me, but 1.0.9.26 has been good so far. Get it here.

I'd suggest giving it a go, and keep your fingers crossed!

Message 34 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

FYI .26 had the Google packet fix in it everyone!
Message 35 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

Unfortunately my WiFi just went down even on. 26. I disconnected my home devices... Will let you know if I'm stable again.
Message 36 of 62
JamesGL
Master

Hi JonnyJ3 and dorsetweevil,

How's the connection? Please provide us feedback with the hotfix.

Message 37 of 62
dorsetweevil
Aspirant

Hi,

Three (and a bit) days and no noticeable loss of WiFi since the 1.0.9.26 update.  Apart from a half hour scheduled WiFi-power-cycle in the wee small hours (that's the next thing to change back).

So far, so good!

I'm changing ISPs tomorrow (wish me luck), so stability of all sorts will be out the window for a while.

Cheers!

Message 38 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

No, that is untrue.

I dont use the 2.4ghz spectrum because I have no 2.4ghz devices. I have the 2.4 disabled and I only use 5ghz, and I've successfully rolled back to the older, stable firware  *8 TIMES NOW* in troubleshooting steps... to help netgear.... fix their issue. Rolling back DOES fix the issues if you go back to 1.0.9.6_1.2.19. My 5ghz chromecasts all work fine, and for TWO YEARS THESE CHROMECASTS ALL WORKED FINE. Alll the 2.4ghz devices we had at that time ALSO worked fine. The router was nearly flawless in 2014-2015, with the device needing a reboot once every few months.

Stop spreading misinformation on this subject. Do real testing, generate real results, and post them, don't loosely associate things you may or may not understand. This is NETGEAR's issue, and the issue is *so* bad and *so* long standing that I have already decided to move away from Netgear at home, and in any future situation where I advise or contract clients. This is RIDICULOUS.

Message 39 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

I'm running the latest beta with all my Google home devices disconnected and it is working fine. If I hook up my Google home mini and the app it crashes the network after a day.
Message 40 of 62
dorsetweevil
Aspirant

@Milkman76...

What's untrue?

Who is spreading 'mis-information'?

I'm not sure if these comments are directed at me?  I'm just stating that since I have been running 1.0.9.26 my WiFi has been stable - no dropouts. It was dreadful before, and now it's fine (so far).  Sorry if this upsets anyone...  just posting this fact to the community. 

I was equally frustrated by the period of instability and sympathise with those still suffering connection problems.

Message 41 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

In case you havent noticed, the NetGear forums are.. a dismal, barely functional mess! I "REPLIED" to the comment I meant to reply to, but the forum does not indicate who I am replying to... so everyone has to guess. I was replying to someone from 10-12 comments back, who was confidently asserting that it was chromecast, and that the issue was a google/chromecast problem, etc etc. He indicated that rolling back the firmware did NOT fix the issue, which it does.

Take up your confusion with NetGear, who couldnt make reliable firmware even if their... company depended upon it.

Message 42 of 62
jwmarrott
Aspirant

All of us are technical guys on this thread, but like so many other complicated issues, there are multiple factors.  No one is asserting that they are the only answer.  The point of this is to point out (hopefully without emotion) observed facts so as to assist Netgear in complete resolution or viable workarounds. No one, that I can observe, is a secret Netgear employee. No one is such a big fanboy that they'll ignore poor internet and wifi connections. 

Do I think the Google bug is real? Yes.  Google has confirmed this and it affects multiple vendors.  It does not affect everyone and in all circumstances.  

Does Netgear have a real issue with firmware? Yes.  I have imperical evidence that this affects me.  I've already posted my specific observations earlier and won't rehash.  It appears that Netgear's attempts to fix this over a few months are flailing at best.  Customers are leaving Netgear because of this behavior.

So guys/gals, let's calm down. Provide evidence and observations.

Message 43 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

This forum is ridiculous.

@ the person who said they are using google home beta, etc.

I have 2x Chromecasts and 2x SmartTVs, in addition to 2 tablets, 3 phones, 2 desktop PCs, and 1 laptop.

Right now, if I use the OLD FIRMWARE 1.0.9.6_1.2.19, my connections are not affected (no speed loss on interfaces), everything works fine, and there are no "network crashes."

Does this firmware EVENTUALLY "freeze", or does the router itself eventually freeze? Yes, but this is over the course of WEEKS, and this is what this device has done LONG BEFORE WE HAD CHROMECASTS. My wife... works from home, a graveyard shift, and she uses a VPN connection to do remote desktop. She works from 9pm until 9am 5 days a week, and during the day I stay home with our small children. We use this ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT, EVERY DAY, lol. We don't have issues outside an occasional reboot UNLESS we install any newer firware. I hope this helps.

Message 44 of 62
jwmarrott
Aspirant

Oh and .26 is stable for me so far.  Need to validate the gut feeling with evidence though.

Message 45 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

I work for a major airline manufacturer from home...

I can tell you the Google bug is real...

I have no issues streaming anything without Google home app installed and without my home mini plugged in.

Why don't we just agree that we want all our issues fixed and not single anyone out...
Message 46 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

lmao!! Some "technical guys" here eh. Good to know.

25+ year net/sysadmin here. I've helped build the internet, and the infrastructure of a few large, global companies. Now that we are done appealing to the authority of our respective credentials, shall we disuss the issue?

1. The issue is present WITHOUT any chromecast on my network. Ive removed them all, and reset them all to factory defaults long ago as a troubleshooting step. When I use ANY NEWER FIRMWARE THAN V1.0.9.6_1.2.19, I get 50%, 75% LOWER SPEEDS on my leased line connection.

2. The issue is present WITH the 2 chromecasts on my network when I use ANY NEWER FIRMWARE than V1.0.9.6_1.2.19. (connection speed issue.)
3. "Network crashes"? I don't know what that means. Im a cisco, 3com, HP guy. You mean the router/wifi controller FREEZES up? Yes, that happens independent of firmware - for me - and it happens every so often. (sometimes 2-3 weeks, sometimes 1 time per week. This was always this way).

Did you see where I wrote that we use this device 24/7 because we have a VPN home office used overnight, and we have people in the house using it all day? We literaly use it 24 hours a day. With chromecasts streaming, games playing, VPN and VOiP functioning, etc.

Message 47 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

And I have yet to try the 'hotfix'. My confidence with Netgear is now *so* low that Im not even sure I want to bother. At this point, I wont recommend this company to *anyone*, and I may just go back to running pro grade stuff at home when I can get it.

Message 48 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

My VPN is running 24/7, I cut cable and stream all my channels, I have a comp science degree. I am just reporting what I am having an issue with

Do me a favor buy a Google home mini and tell me you don't have an issue.
Message 49 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

I do understand there are some issues with that, yes. However.... I have definitely removed the chromecasts from the mix during testing, and the issue (connection speed) persisted on new firmware.

There may be multiple issues here.... and I am frankly out of patience.

Message 50 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E