Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.20 - Hot Fix

cdysthe
Luminary

Hi, 

My Netgear rule of thumb  is: If the firmware isn't discussed here at all I install it. That usually means it works like it should. In that regard the forums are very helpful! The noise level around this hotfix is now so high it will take a looooong time before I dare mess with it. It's all good on my R7000 now with older firmware namely V1.0.9.18_1.2.27. I want it to stay that way.

//CD
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 51 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

lmao! Good call. When my... peers in the net eng groups hear that I use this at home, they often poke me in the ribs for it. Ive had a great experience with it UNTIL THIS FIRMWARE ISSUE, so there is always that.

Message 52 of 62
cdysthe
Luminary

The hardware of the R7000 is very similar to other routers in the same price range. So close to certain ASUS's you can run a slightly modified ASUS firmware. And ASUS does not have these severe firmware issues. Soooo that leave Netgear and the fact that they might not be as good at firmware as they should be. Can that change? I see the same problems with many devices I use. It's so important to have the lastest and some unique features that stabiligy is thrown overboard to satisfy the marketing department's hunger for the latest and greatest. That is unfortunate, especially for a router which sits there month after month doing the same thing and just has to work. 

//CD
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 53 of 62
jwmarrott
Aspirant

Milkman.  No need to be beligerant.  We're all frustrated about the Netgear issue.  Why throw out your creds too, man? Yes, I assumed you were technical without the creds. But if you are only responsive to a cred exchange then I've got every bit of that too.  25 years in IT.  VCAP-DCA, DCD, CCNA, MCSE. Throw Cisco, Linux, Windows, NetApp, VMware engineering in there too. I can go on and on.  I've got a work from home VPN situation with my wife too.  Not all night though.  I wish I could afford the commercial stuff too. None of us would be on consumer hardware.

cdsythe - Glad to hear it is working for you.  .18 made it worse for me.  Still have suspicions that the man-in-the-middle monitoring from Circle may be part of the issue for me.  Anything before .10 seems stable for me.

Message 54 of 62
cdysthe
Luminary

wrote:

cdsythe - Glad to hear it is working for you.  .18 made it worse for me.  Still have suspicions that the man-in-the-middle monitoring from Circle may be part of the issue for me.  Anything before .10 seems stable for me.

I use Circle actively and do not have problems with it (except for it seeing my AW watch as a connected device it needs to control).

//CD
Message 55 of 62

wrote:

In case you havent noticed, the NetGear forums are.. a dismal, barely functional mess! I "REPLIED" to the comment I meant to reply to, but the forum does not indicate who I am replying to... so everyone has to guess. I was replying to someone from 10-12 comments back..

Quote the messages that you are replying to. Just like this. (Look at the little "Quote" button just above every message you reply to.)

You can do that even when you want to say things that don't fit in with the experiences of other people.

I was replying to someone from 10-12 comments back, who was confidently asserting that it was chromecast, and that the issue was a google/chromecast problem, etc etc. He indicated that rolling back the firmware did NOT fix the issue, which it does.

What is true for you is not necessarily true for other people. Just look outside your own bubble at what other people have discovered.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 56 of 62

wrote:

So close to certain ASUS's you can run a slightly modified ASUS firmware. And ASUS does not have these severe firmware issues.

Google Chromecast and Home devices are causing problems with some Wi-Fi networks – BGR

The issue reportedly affects routers from ASUS, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link, and Synology, which covers most brands you’re likely to find in your home. A Google spokesperson seemingly confirmed the issue to 9to5Google, saying that Google’s engineering team “is working quickly to share a solution.”

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 57 of 62
JonnyJ3
Guide

Clearly it's fake news 😉
Message 58 of 62
cdysthe
Luminary

The issue reportedly affects routers from ASUS, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link, and Synology, which covers most brands you’re likely to find in your home. A Google spokesperson seemingly confirmed the issue to 9to5Google, saying that Google’s engineering team “is working quickly to share a solution.”

Google Chromecast and Home devices are causing problems with some Wi-Fi networks – BGR

The Chromecast issue seems to go beyond firmware. There may be firmware tricks that can solve it though. I do not use Chromexast so with that one I have no experience. 

//CD
Message 59 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

heh, I dont think you read all my comments. My "bubble" is that of the northern california tech community. Tiny bubble, eh.

So sorry my experience doesn't fit your notion -- which seems to shield Netgear from the responsibility.

NO. Netgear has had issues with this firmware LONG BEFORE THE DAMN CHROMECAST ISSUE. Ive had support tickets open with them for almost a YEAR now, and.... have you... ever opened support tickets with NetGear? Do you know how that usually goes?

The CONNECTION SPEED ISSUE predates, and is independent of, the CHROMECAST ISSUE, which seems to have taken over the spotlight. I have REMOVED ALL MY CHROMECASTS from my network. Would you like to see me update my firmware to new, test my connections, and SHOW YOU THE DAMN issue?

2 issues:

1. some sort of firmware issue that was originally blamed on QoS, and a host of other features. No solution ever offered.

2. NOW there is some sort of google home/chromecast issue that some users are experiencing.

In either case, I expect NETGEAR and GOOGLE to team up to solve that issue, and I expect SOME SORT OF movement on the connection speed issue that pre-dates the google issue.

Message 60 of 62
cdysthe
Luminary

I've had two support tickets open. In fact one is still opene since I haven't had time to be on the phone with a Netgear support rep after they suggested we solve this over the phone.  I've been a victim on Comcast customer support so my bar might be too low, but I find Netgear to have been pretty good at addressing my issues. One was solved, the other I do not know about yet.

//CD
Message 61 of 62
Milkman76
Aspirant

Ive been dealing with netgear for some time now... and... you mean they had humans respond to your messages? They didnt just repeat... the same "update your firmware" mantra to you, over and over, despite the FIRMWARE BEING THE ISSUE I WAS REPORTING? You seem to have a very different experience with their CSRs. Lucky you!

Yeah, Im a little grumpy, having the high expectations that I have for vendors, and the dismal experience I've had with Netgear.

The home office I support? It is not so simple. It is a highly secure Health Department connection, and I was.... just announcing to my associates how I was going to imrpove securtiy slightly by applying a newer firmware. Then I had to roll back that firmware... and then I had to do it again, and again, while trying to maintain my OWN credibility in front of clients. When MY credibility is on the line for the products I chose... this changes things a bit, if you know what I mean.

Message 62 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E