Highlighted
Apprentice

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.6 now available

Hi guys, we are going fast with the new firmwares these days :-)

Anybody wants to share their experience with this one?

https://kb.netgear.com/000039940/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-6

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports WW Router Analytics.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes security issues

=> So does this have QoS even for the Non-US version (there seems to be only 1 version whereas 1.0.8.34 was US only)

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.6

Allready update my router to this one. IGMP Proxy delay to high is not fixed.

Message 2 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Due to some electrical issues in my house, I had to completely re-set my router today, including upgrading to the latest FW release. Firmware Version 
V1.0.9.6_1.2.19, I had to re-set many settings including the passwords that we have always used.  But I have lost a lot of functionality that I had before.  I cannot launch Port Forwarding in the advanced set up, nor is there the Dynamic QOS under advanced settings as well. 

Another issue is I have changed e-mail addresses and cannot register this product under my new email address since I can't access the original (don't have that access anymore).  any info on how to deregister a product to one email (when I can't access the mynetgear account for that email)?

I'm very concerned about the changes made with this firmware upgrade, do not understand where all these other features went.

Message 3 of 29
Highlighted
Apprentice

Just updated my R7000 to this newest firmware and everything is working well.

Maybe you should try doing a hard reset and manually inputting all of your settings again.

Message 4 of 29
Highlighted
Virtuoso

For me it was checked in such way on previous two firmwares and it is a bug. Now engineers of Netgear are solving this problem with IGMP PROXY.

Message 5 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

After installing I had performance issues, dropping from 300Mbps to 30Kbps..  not immediate, but after a while. 

I went back to good old 1.0.7.10, the one in the middle was also flakey to me.. 

Looking for a new router.. took me 2 hours to downgrade and pushing though the stupid wizard.. Netgear just lost a customer.. 

Message 6 of 29
Highlighted
Apprentice

Downgrade your firmware to this one V1.0.4.28_1.1.64. I also updated the firmware and had so many issues including wifi drop outs. I had tried a Verizon gateway but the range and speeds were not close to the R7000. Once I downgraded to this older firmware and then reset the router, Performance has been stellar. I also upgraded the antennas to three 12dbi dual tuned antennas which has increased my range and speeds past the original range and speeds that I had before the update, The problem is that these Netgear engineers are screwing up this device by updating the firmware.

Message 7 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

problem is if you go back so far you are open and wide for security issues. Or are they not existing in that version? 

Thanks for the tip, but I want to go forward not backwards, and it seems with every upgrade the box becomes worse, not better.. 

going for a Ubiquiti router now without wireless and will use Apple Airport Extreme throughout internal network as pure AP's. So wifi in the router anymore Smiley Wink It is stuck in a closet so antenna's are always bad there.. 

Message 8 of 29
Highlighted
Apprentice

I would not think it as going backward. Just that the older firmware is stable compared to the new one. The lastest firmware update sole purpose is to open your router up to their analytics.  More just laziness on the part of their engineers.  Proper testing of each firmware would eliminate such issues. Few companies take the time to do thorough testing which is labor intesive but worth the extra time. Most companies take a reactive aproach and factor in these issues and then try to fix the issues after release.  Some are faster at the fixes while others are slow or never really fix the issues.  Also it depends on the talent that is associated with each company. Not all engineers are created equal.  For my house the R7000 perfect.  With the upgraded antennas it is even better. I did look at their latest router the X10 but it is overkill for my purposes.  I knew right away that it was an issue with the firmware when I switched over to a Verizon Gateway router and all the buffering stopped.  I enabled the auto update about a year ago. Before then the router was stable.  The router is fine and worth keeping. It is the **bleep**ty firmware versions that they developed that is the issue. Plain and simple. The moderator is doing what every moderator does and that is deflect responsibility for the failings of their engineers.

Message 9 of 29
Highlighted
Sage

> [...] I cannot launch Port Forwarding in the advanced set up, [...]

Which "the advanced set up"?  I'm looking at an R7000 with "Firmware
Version V1.0.9.6_1.2.19", and if I follow ADVANCED > Advanced Setup >
Port Forwarding / Port Triggering, I get the page I expected.

General advice: "I cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It
does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened whan you did
it.  In a case like this, a useful problem description might say
something like, for example, "The ADVANCED > Advanced Setup menu
mentions only the following items: [...], with no mention of port
forwarding, which I expected to find there."  (Of course, I _did_ find
it there.)

Message 10 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Horrible!!!!!!  When I upgrade it works for 10 minutes and then won't let my PC's connect.  I had to roll back to 1.0.7.2 (7.12 doesn't work either) to get it working again.  Only thing I can figure is that I am using their USB disk function sharing files over THEIR ReadyShare site.  Too bad they claim that the new update fixes security issues.  Come and get it hackers!!!

Message 11 of 29
Highlighted
Initiate

I tried to download the firmware and alI I ever got were the release notes, never the actual firmware. Reading the replies, I think I'm glad.  I will not go further and take my chances. Besides, I'm outside the complimentary support so Netgear is of no help to me.

Message 12 of 29
Highlighted
Initiate

Version 1.0.9.6 has made my connection terribly slow. I couldn't use apps like Facetime anymore. I downgraded to V1.0.7.12 and everything is fine again.

Message 13 of 29
Highlighted

I think I hate Netgear! I started having problems about a month ago. I called Netgear today they wanted 100 dollars just to talk to me. I am having the same dropped internet as all of you. I just ordered the Google system. I work from home on line and this will not do. I was very surprised and disappointed with the lack of response from Netgear. I will never buy one of their products again. 

I can not even get into my system to reset it. I have attempted several hard resets but still no luck. What  junk! That was 200 dollars down the drain. 

Message 14 of 29
Highlighted
Apprentice

Downgrade to the firmware I posted earlier. Google search it and download it to a flash drive.
Message 15 of 29
Highlighted
Apprentice

Version is V1.0.428_1.1.64. Download to a flash drive and then insert the drive into the Nighthawk's usb port. Go into your settings and downgrade it to this firmware. It will give a warning that it is an older firmware but ignore it. After that you have to reset the router by pushing the button on the back. You will have reinput all your settings but for me after that the router has been flawless.

Message 16 of 29
Highlighted
Sage

> [...] download it to a flash drive.

> Download to a flash drive and then insert the drive into the
> Nighthawk's usb port.

I give up.  Why drag a USB flash storage gizmo into the picture?  Why
not save the firmware kit on the disk of the computer with the Web

browser?

Message 17 of 29
Highlighted
Virtuoso

For me the stable is 1.0.7.10 version. You can try to flash this one. There is no need to insert USB flash drive to the router to flash it, you can download firmware file to you computer and flash it via web interface.

Message 18 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.6

I did update firmware
I have problems with my routers that it stop working net after 10 to 12 hours
But with new firmware seems working ok
Message 19 of 29
Highlighted
Guide

Hi all,
I have a old wndr3700 router. And i have a lot of problems with it. Disconecting, dropping, floating connectivity...
I tested 3 different Intel based wi-fi card with old and new drivers, changes of settings... problems remains the same.
Finaly, i bought a Atheros wi-fi card and... and problems just solved. No matter of router firmware revision, wi-fi card drivers, setting, hard reset and bla-bla-bla.

Now, in my home all computers/laptops equipped with Atheros based wifi card.

Message 20 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having internet connection issues with the latest "auto update" firmware on my (used to be) stable R7000.

Now I loose internet connection (wired and wireless) and/or can not get to the web utility to check and see status etc.

I don't understand how Netgear can screw up a perfectly router for a couple years now and all of the sudden issue buggy firmware -- with no real new features?! What gives??

I'm fortunate that I've been within close proximity to my apartment when the router fails, so I could go back and restart it manually.

I'd be F-ING be going out of my MIND if I was on a business trip and my home network lost internet connection......  WTF

Message 21 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

I like the R7000 but the firmware is awful, I tried a few and found AdvancedTomato to work great for me. For me, my main issue was bufferbloat on Spectrum 100 cable internet. I tried everything in NetGear's QOS settings but nothing helped. With AdvancedTomato and it's fq_codel QOS I went to 1300ms bufferbloat to less than 50ms always. No more unwatchable HD and even 4k HDR works great.

I hope they don't censor this message as it can really make a huge difference. I do not understand what many routers have such poor firmware when the opensource firmware is there to guide them.

Message 22 of 29
Highlighted
Tutor

I also can confirm that the latest firmware 1.0.9.6 is buggy and would not recommend installing it at all.

After I manually updated the firmware, connections started dropping for no reason. I though my ISP had DNS problems, configured the router to use Google's DNS, but no change. Websites stops loading.. Apps on mobile devices starts complaining that there is no internet connection available, but after a minute are connected again etc etc. 

After reading this forum, I found a few posting saying that after a firmware upgrade, it is recommened that the router needs to be made factory default and needs to be reconfigured. The backup file shouldn't be used since settings from old firmware are stored in the backup file. 

What I'm wondering then is, why is the functionality in the router if it can't be used? With the latest release auto update is also build-in.. So no factory default would come into place.

I would like to know from Netgear and only from Netgaer what the recommendation is.

I have reconfigured my R7000 multiple times. With backup file, without backup file. Eventually I ended installing firmware 1.0.7.12, which is working flaweless for the last 5 days now.

Message 23 of 29
Highlighted
Apprentice

Well the dropouts started back up so I have just decided that this router sucks!  Bought a Tenda 1900AC router for 72 dollars off Amazon and did some testing today. Download speeds are faster and my son told me that his gaming is perfect with this router.  Going to reset the device and sell it on Ebay. Netgear should be ashamed to still sell this piece of ****!.  Setup with the Tenda was a breeze!

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 24 of 29
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for all the information.  I have just downgraded firmware to 1.0.7.2 and the can already tell the positive affect on my browsing.

Really Netgear if you're going to go through all the effort to have firmware upgrades, how about ensuring they don't affect the operational ability of the equipment. 

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements