Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60 and above still require changing default password?

sktn77a
Virtuoso

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60 and above still require changing default password?

When I updated my R7000 router to Firmware Version 1.0.9.60 I was forced to change the default password from "password" to something else.  I really don't care to do this so I went back to the previous firmware version.  Does anybody know if this is still required for the latest firmware update (v1.0.11.100)?

Don't really want to debate the merits of changing the password from the default, just want to know if I'm still required to change it with the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60 and above still require changing default password?

"Yes, and for good reasons. But if you're thick-headed, stay at your current firmware version":

But security clearly does not matter to someone who leaves a gaping great hole in their system by sticking with the "out of the box" settings.

^^^^^^^  Just the kind of responses I was trying to avoid.  I guess that's what the internet does to people.

Forget it, I'm outa here.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Yes, and for good reasons. But if you're thick-headed, stay at your current firmware version

Message 2 of 7

One reason for updating firmware is that it often tightens up on the router's security. That is one of the claims made in the new firmware for the R7000.

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But security clearly does not matter to someone who leaves a gaping great hole in their system by sticking with the "out of the box" settings.

Message 3 of 7
additude
Virtuoso

Hi Keith,

With all the emphasis on security I doubt that would be an option.

1. I haven't read the manual, but check for an option to disable password login.

2. Try changing the password to "password" if possible, I think that's the default PW

3. Choose a very simple password like, 00000000, 11111111, 12345678, netgear, passwords, etc.

Message 4 of 7
sktn77a
Virtuoso

"Yes, and for good reasons. But if you're thick-headed, stay at your current firmware version":

^^^^^^^  Just the kind of responses I was trying to avoid.  I guess that's what the internet does to people.

Forget it, I'm outa here.

Message 5 of 7

Oh dear, another one who refuses to move into the real world.

Ask a silly question get silly answers.

Three people say it won't work, they are clearly all wrong.

Message 6 of 7
additude
Virtuoso

Hi Keith,

I felt that I provided a non-condecending reply supporting your request......

Was this a setup?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7