Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.88!

Paul-Jan
Tutor

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.88!

Netgear should be ashamed of the R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.88! Okay, something can go wrong once with a firmware release. But given the number of complaints, it would be appropriate for Netgear to take action here. In fact, it should be possible to sue Firma as a customer collective for non-performance. It cannot and should not in fact be that a product becomes worthless due to the manufacturer. That a device eventually breaks is normal, all electronics will be broken once. But you can also have a certain life expectancy of a product with the corresponding support from the manufacturer. Now I am not an environmental freak, but we must treat our resources with care. So good equipment with the manufacturer's duty of care may, I think, be expected nowadays. I have since switched to a different brand of router and do not think that I will soon be purchasing a Netgear product. The netgear is in the cupboard in the hope that another firmware version will be released in which it will function normally again.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
microchip8
Master

There's only one thing NETGEAR is good at and that is hardware. All their firmware/software development is outsourced to a third party, Delta Networks Inc (DNI). These guys do a piss poor QA testing before they release a new version. Luckily with NETGEAR you at least have third-party firmware. FreshTomato works excellent on the R7000

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.87SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 2 of 14
labatt
Prodigy

Back when the r7000 first came out I had one and after initial growing pains, was a solid product. Jump forward and now the firmware Netgear is providing is turning a very good router, the r7000, into garbage. Really a shame.

Modem CM2050V
Message 3 of 14
Paul-Jan
Tutor

Netgear can then put together a solid router, but the software is also a part to make it work properly. If the software partner does not deliver properly then this is and remains the responsibility of Netgear because they sell the product. If there is an alternative to the basic frimware, then Netgear should admit. Now the customer is the victim of a bad product for which Netgear is responsible! The worst thing is that despite the endless list of complaints, Netgear makes NOTHING heard to resolve this. This is contempt for customers!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 14
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Ok, so I have the option to 'upgrade' to v.88 but have so far declined to do so. I've only had the router for a few weeks and it's working really well.

Is anyone else using v.64 firmware? It seems stable enough for me not to bother upgrading to v.88.

Message 5 of 14
labatt
Prodigy

Lots of folks have issues with the .88 release. If what you currently have is working then I would stay with it and see if Netgear ever figures out how to make a quality firmware. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 6 of 14
labatt
Prodigy

Forgot to say, make sure auto update is off otherwise Netgear will push down the latest. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 7 of 14
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Thanks for the tip, I've already disabled auto update, one of the first things I did during setup following my reading of various posts on this community.

To be honest, as v.88 seems to promote the Armor security feature then there's no point me updating my router as I already have a Bitdefender Total Security subscription.

Message 8 of 14
ware
Aspirant

I hope Netgear are starting to pay attention to these posts because they are losing Customers. The lack of quality of the 1.0.9.88 firmware release had me rebooting the router 2-3 times a day on average. Now that my "smart home" relies on solid WiFi I have had to move to another much more reliable solution. I have always been a Netgear fan for the last two decades and am now replacing across the board, NAS, switches etc. You just cannot have this lack of quality in your home network nowadays. 

Message 9 of 14
shoman94
Apprentice

I think it is hiliarious that not ONE Moderator or EMPLOYEE of NETGEAR gives a crap about this.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14
labatt
Prodigy

@shoman94 wrote:

I think it is hiliarious that not ONE Moderator or EMPLOYEE of NETGEAR gives a crap about this.  Smiley Very Happy

This is a user to user forum. Netgear does not watch.

Modem CM2050V
Message 11 of 14
shoman94
Apprentice

This is their community forum, of course they look in here.

Message 12 of 14
labatt
Prodigy

@shoman94 wrote:

This is their community forum, of course they look in here.

In my years on this forum, I have never seen Netgear rep jump in and take over a thread. May see a moderator at times say something, no real problem determination. Just something like install this back level firmware or reset your router. Really nothing else from them. When they say they are forwarding issue to engineering, do not hold your breath, as they never post with an update or fix. 

IMHO I do not think that Netgear gives a cra%. They have putout version after version of firmware with the same identified bugs on this forum. If looking here maybe they would have fixed, but no. Some bugs are over a year old. So do not get your hopes up that they are monitoring this forum for issues, As stated this is a user to user forum with little or no Netgear involvement. 

I gave up on them and went else where, next layer up more toward comercial, Never looked back as current network just works, no reboots ever other then a firware update , no wireless or direct connect issues, just works as a network should unlike what I experienced with a r8000 and r8000p.

Modem CM2050V
Message 13 of 14
shoman94
Apprentice

I don't disagree with anything that you're saying.  I just installed the latest firmware just released for the r7000 and I'm hoping for the best.  Lots of fixes I'm told.  There is a thread started for it.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements