R7000 Firmware confusion

Rhyalus
Apprentice

R7000 Firmware confusion

Hi All,

I have been very happy with 1.08.34 for years - but given all of the security reports, I finally decided to update.

I have yet to assess the 5GHz dropouts that many are reporting - but my first question is about the latest version #.  If Iused the detect feature within admin, it gave me some 1.0.9 version...but on the website, 1.0.11 is listed as the latest.  I went with the website.

Anyone else notice this?

P.S.... one thing I didn't like was how the firmware stranded me with opendns...  forcing Circle and removing support for the opendns management from Netgenie was pretty crappy.

R

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 Firmware confusion

@Rhyalus  What you have experienced in terms of what Netgear shows at the 'latest' firmware in the browser GUI, is the same as probably most of us experienced. I updated mine in April using the download link from the Netgear downloads page.

Whether you will now have problems with 5ghz wifi is the subject of much discussion. I obviously have no idea how old your router is, but mine is 15 months old from manufacture, a March 2019 build. Many with older routers state the v.100 firmware doesn't work with their router so they downgrade to v.42. That then flies in the face of Netgear's 'security' fixes, but if v.42 is the only firmware that works properly for some, then what are they supposed to do?

Personally, my R7000 works absolutely without any problems on v.100 firmware, it doesn't drop 5ghz wifi at all or 2.4ghz for that matter. I upgraded from v.64, which is what it left the factory with.

Message 2 of 4
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Good to hear, thanks.  Yes, I read most of the related threads here on the R7000.

Now we do the waiting game to see how it goes.  If I start getting drops I'll do a router reset.  I don't have too many special settings so it is not a big deal.

Dissapointing that they can't get the right version recommendation in the router control panel.  It seems that is a simple matter.  On the web there is no indication that the firmware does not support older versions of the router.

R

Message 3 of 4
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Rhyalus  Logic dictates that any firmware Netgear release for a particular model of router, SHOULD work with all routers in that model range.

Reality it seems, is a different matter. I've alluded to this theory already, but personally, I just find it difficult to contemplate that a R7000 AC1900 router built in 2015/16, has exactly in every way identical hardware internally as that of a router manufactured 3 years later. So for example, are the hardware components/controllers etc for 5ghz WiFi exactly the same?

Also, WiFi in different Countries can have different power operating parameters as far as I know. Whether this affects the 5ghz issues that some users have in some parts of the world, I have no idea. That could be some tin pot theory, but no one else has any answers. The advice you'll get from people on this forum, is downgrade to v.42.

I wish you luck with the new firmware. As I say, it's not causing me any problems at all.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E