R7000 Firmware upgrade V1.0.7.6 Login problem

LaMeulette2
Aspirant

R7000 Firmware upgrade V1.0.7.6 Login problem

After upgrading the router firmware to v1.0.7.6. I can no longer login to the router via my cable connected PC. Wireless connections continue to work.

I have tried box Firefox and IE without success.  The error message Connection reset whilst loading the page occurs.

I have pinged the ip (in my case 10.0.0.1) which responds OK.

Any suggestions or is this no longer possible? Thanks

Message 1 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

Re: R7000 Firmware upgrade V1.0.7.6 Login problem

Do you have an internet connection at all via your PC ?

Modem: Bipac 8800NL | Routers: R7800, R8500 & R9000
Powerline: PLP1200x4 PL1200x6 | WiFi Extenders: PLW1000 & XWN5001
Switches: GS105Ex2, GS105Ev2, GS108Ev2, GS305
Message 2 of 10
LaMeulette2
Aspirant

Hi, I can access Internet from both cabled and wireless connections to the router. It is the router login from the cable connected PC that fails. Wireless connected devices can login and access the router.

The router ip is set to 10.0.0.1 which responds to Ping. But fails to respond to http requests.

Message 3 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

I would try resetting the PCs IP address

Open up a command prompt (Start-->Run-->cmd.exe)

Then type      ipconfig /release   and enter

followed by

ipconfig /renew    and enter

As an aside, did the Router have the IP range 10.0.0.x before the firmware upgrade ?

Modem: Bipac 8800NL | Routers: R7800, R8500 & R9000
Powerline: PLP1200x4 PL1200x6 | WiFi Extenders: PLW1000 & XWN5001
Switches: GS105Ex2, GS105Ev2, GS108Ev2, GS305
Message 4 of 10
LaMeulette2
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I tried your suggestion but still no joy.

Image for CMD output after ipconfig/renew below.

and yes the IP range was set to 10.0.0.x before the upgrade.

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 10

Did you reset to factory settings after the firmware update? (I can't tell from what has gone before.)

It isn't always needed, even though Netgear recommends it, but that is the first thing to try if you have post-flash issues.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 10
LaMeulette2
Aspirant

hi michaelkenward

Thanks for your suggestion. I have not reset to factory settings. I am reluctant to do that, primarily as my only access currently is via my wifi connected device, given I reset will I lose all my access?  Given this appears a flakey process I am not convinced 'nornal' access will resume after a factory reset.

I hope that Netgear admin monitor this thread and start responding to get this issue resolved. I keep reading articles and posts about how problems arise from software updates and the complete lack of support information in their documentation.

Message 7 of 10
netwrks
Master

As michaelkenward indicated, after an upgrade you may have to reset to factory default (which in my opinion one should do, irregardless). If you have any understanding of how these routers work, it is not a flaky process, and Netgear is not the only vendor that suggests reset to factory after firmware upgrades. After a reset to factory default, connect to the default SSID and wifi passphrase that is either on / in the box the router came in, or on the bottom of your router and reconfigure your router. 

Message 8 of 10
LaMeulette2
Aspirant

Hi netwrks

Thank you for your advice, I will try the factory reset as suggested and use the default values to regain access.

Your help is much appreciated.

But I do have one observation....

I am no expert (obviously) but when the company providing the advice - to update your router firmware -  results in prior access failing and a need to reconfigure by re-entering all the settings it is far from simple or straightforward. I take no comfort that Netgear are not the only vendor to do this.

The router is working as before except I cannot access it via a cable connected PC, to have to factory reset and reconfigure is bonkers!  

Message 9 of 10

@LaMeulette2 wrote:
The router is working as before except I cannot access it via a cable connected PC, to have to factory reset and reconfigure is bonkers!  

It is a trade off. No one forces anyone to install a firmware upgrade. So if you don't want to reset the thing, stick with what you have.

Of course, that may mean that you have to live with instabilities and security issues that the firmware tries to fix. But that is your choice.

Then there is the fact that many firmware updates happily sail through with no need to do a reset. My take is that, regardless of what Netgeaer suggests, I don't reset if all looks well after a firmware flash.

I have devised a strategy that escalates the severity of the reset:

• save (backup) settings
  • flash firmware

If that works and you see no problems, great. If not, and something doesn't work, you may have to reset the device to the default settings:

• set to factory settings
  • retrieve settings from backup

If that works and you see no problems, problem fixed! If not:

• set to factory settings.
  • reconfigure everything

If that fails, then I fear that you may have to flash back to earlier firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E