R7000 Gateway IP setting for DHCP

BobHam
Aspirant

R7000 Gateway IP setting for DHCP

By default, the R7000 sets the DHCP Gateway equal to the router's own IP address. Is there a way via scripting or hidden menu which will allow me to change the LAN DHCP Gateway IP to another setting? The Netgear CHAT support staff were not at all interested in helping, and would not escalate my request to Tier 1 support.
Message 1 of 14
fordem
Mentor

Re: R7000 Gateway IP setting for DHCP

Why would you want to do that? What ever the reason, there is probably a simpler way to achieve the same thing.

The gateway is almost always a router, if you have another router acting as the gateway disable DHCP on the R7000 and use the other router's DHCP server to issue addresses.

If your gateway device is not another router, then your network is not your "garden variety" consumer network and you should be consulting the administrator or whoever set it up originally.

I have a number of "rules" that I suggest the less experienced users live by, and the first of those is "one router per network", it's not that the rule can't be broken, but rather, you should only attempt a network with more than one router if you know what you're doing.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 14
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: c

What are you trying to do? Do you want more than one subnet? Why another gateway?
Message 3 of 14
BobHam
Aspirant

Lee,
Thanks for the response. I am implementing a VPN gateway for all attached devices, but because these sometimes cause problems with some websites, I want to preserve the ability to go around the VPN by altering the Gateway setting on a specific computer if necessary to go directly out the R7000. The R7000 existed first, and all DHCP settings are already setup. The VPN router goes thru the R7000 to the internet with an encrypted tunnel, so I just wanted to alter the Gateway IP on the R7000 to direct traffic to the VPN router by default. Yes, I can shut off the DHCP on the R7000 and serve devices from the VPN router, but I thought it would just be easier to make the change on the R7000. Apparently Netgear does not allow that on a home router, and that will be my only option.
Message 4 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Why not just put VPN router first and R700 as AP mode.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 14
BobHam
Aspirant

I appreciate your response,and I know there are several alternate methods of getting around the fact that this router does not (apparently) let me alter the LAN gateway IP address. Guess I will have to just do that.
Message 6 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

For most part. You always want to place VPN router on front end. Smiley Happy

Good luck
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 14
Compcrasher
Aspirant

Lol it sounded ok to me. What's the issue? I've asked so many questions in the last year and never get straight answers or I get laughed at or get dosd etc
Message 8 of 14
networking
Aspirant

buy books on icnd1 and icnd2 (cisco certification). if you learn the books (at least icnd1) you will understand networking much better. I thought I knew networking until I took a cisco certification test. I did get cisco certification, but failed the first time. excellent program, you would benefit greatly
Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ICND1 and 2 have quite a bit of proprietary stuff (like VTP and EIGRP) that is only beneficial if you're going to be administering Cisco routers and switches.

For basic, standards-based network, I would recommend CompTIA Network+.
Message 10 of 14
networking
Aspirant

Though there is obviously proprietary cisco information in both books, they give far more detail on networking in the icnd books than a network+ certification. If you want to really understand networking, even if you don't use cisco equipment, learning icnd 1 and 2 will give you a great understanding.

It's all a matter of how much you want to learn. For me, when it comes to networking, you can never learn too much.
Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm a CCNA, CCNP, Network+, Server+, and NNCDE.

I agree that for some of us, you can never learn too much.

However, for the OP, I don't think diving right into ICND1/2 is the right idea...
Message 12 of 14
networking
Aspirant

well the good news, he can always go to the book store and look through icnd1 and 2 and also network + books and see for himself what seems to be best for his situation.

btw! have you ever considered going for ccie?
Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, I've long since moved away from technical engineering. CCIE is way too much of a time sink and wouldn't be very applicable to my job anymore.

Last year, I got my ITIL and TOGAF certs, which should tell you a lot about how much I actually touch the technology anymore.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E