R7000 How good does the QOS work with this router????

pinkfloyd
Tutor

R7000 How good does the QOS work with this router????

I am interested in buying the R7000, I am coming from owning 4 ASUS AC87R's and now I have the AC68P. These routers and there FW all very buggy, I have tried Merlin's and ASUS FW's and they just act up. 

I have followed all the proper steps when flashing these routers but still they all act diffrently when I start to input my settings. Now mind you I am using the router for basic fuctions not using and usb or hard drives. We are a house full of gamers so QOS is somthing we would like to use.

I have TWC  internet, my speeds are 300 down and 20 up. So I am wondering if I do get this router how would QOS work and does it work? At peak times I have about 15 devices going on at the same time, 4 hardwired and the rest wifi. I have 4 ps4, 1 gaming pc, sometimes we are all ganing at the same time, not the same games but different muti player games. 

So if someone can please give me a honest opinion on this router and maybe if you are a gamer too how is your experience with this router. 

I am so done with ASUS, the AC68P is dropping signal on both bands, rebooting it self, its getting old.

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Message 1 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Re: R7000 How good does the QOS work with this router????

The QoS on the R7000 is not that spectacular. An overview of the QoS can be read about starting on page 46 of the R7000’s User Manual which you can download from: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000

If you want a QoS where you can manually set all the rules yourself, then it will work out for you. I am a fan of the Dynmaic QoS developed by Qualcomm called Streamboost. The R7500’s Dynamic QoS is based off that. However, the R7500 uses the same VERY buggy 5G chip and drivers from Quantenna that the ASUS AC87R uses.

A hardware revision in the R7500 should hit store shelves in a month or two (could vary based on supply of the original r7500 hardware) in the R7500v2 which will be 100% based on Qualcomm-Atheros chip solutions inside. It will have MU-MIMO enabled right out of the box too. The v2 will be the same UPC as the original R7500, you just have to look at the box design to know the v2 is inside it.

r7500v2_box.jpg

The dropping signals, and rebooting you are experiencing on the Asus units you mentioned are due to buggy drivers in the firmware and also heat issues. The Broadcom chips in those units run MUCH warmer than the Qualcomm equivalent chips.

Message 2 of 11
netwrks
Master

Interseting.. The general concensus, is stay away from the R7500.  Have a look at this post. The routers with Qualcomm chipsets just have not been able to deliver.

@pinkfloyd as discussed before, with the anount of bandwidth you have, QoS isn't even an issue. As Discussed before, on a R7000, with Q0S enabled, it disables CTF, which you need to run on the R7000, with anything over a 1000mb connection.. Broadcomm is where it will be at for the next few years. Another discussion to read. So, the AC1900's (Broadcomm both NG and ASUS) is the place to be right now.

Message 3 of 11
mediatrek
Virtuoso

Netwrks- You are right on the QoS not being a real concern given the size of the pipe he has. Also, you are right that the consensus is to stay away from the r7500. The original v1, not the r7500v2 which is shipping out to stores very soon. The issues with the v1 all relates to the Quantenna 5GHz solution. Quantenna did not give the needed heat specs before the chip was shipped to OEM’s for manufacturing into their products, which led overheating on that chip and that affects the QCA CPU and 2.4GHz radio in the r7500v1. In addition, the driver package mixture with the QCA half of (and Broadcom on Asus RT-AC87) adds to crashes and random reboots.

Qualcomm’s MU-MIMO offerings are stellar with 6 years of research and development behind them. The hardware runs much cooler than Broacom’s first generation XStream solutions (ie- Netgear r8000) and their second generation XStream solutions (ie- Netgear R8500, D-Link DIR-895L/R). As far as performance, in my crowded 2.4GHz & 5GHz environment the Linksys EA8500 with 100% Qualcomm MU-MIMO solution chips outperforms my R8000 in range on both bands, and LAN to LAN throughput, and with a better mix of client devices. Transfer speeds between my laptop w/ Intel 7260-AC card and ReadyNAS 312 are 12% faster on average with the EA8500. I cannot speak of actual performance on the QCA-based r7500v 2 and r7800, as they have not been released yet and I am not a part of the beta programs, but from what I have been told is they are stellar.

Message 4 of 11
CelticAlien
Aspirant

So what about those of us who didn't see this until AFTER we bought version 1? Also... I've been poking around this site trying to figure out a way to limit my bandwith per user and the general consensus tells me that now the router uses Dynamic QOS, I'm basically screwed... is that it? I know my old netgear router used to let me... I upgraded after that one died. Now... I'm worse off than before and I spend $200 on this damn thing. Is there ANYTHING I can do to limit each user to a specific speed so they don't choke out my already limited internet speed (3 MB peak).

Message 5 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi @CelticAlien,

The Dynamic QoS automatically assigns the bandwidth allocation to devices or applications that needs priority. No need to do it manually as the router will be the one to determine which device or applications. You may check this video on how it works. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_HGLkEbGs

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 6 of 11
CelticAlien
Aspirant

So why not give us both options? I know how dynamic QOS works. But it takes away control. I'd rather have the control to say who or what "needs" priority. I'm trying to work. My wife is a photographer. She's trying to upload images. It takes her 8 hours to upload pictures to the cloud because my kids are on YouTube. My wife is the priority. Literally. Her Mac has highest priority. The kids' computers have low. Yet the bandwidth is almost entirely consumed by their computers because dynamic QOS doesn't work like it should. Or at least it doesn't work like a normal user would want it to. Having the control of overriding the "dynamic" part is much smarter. My old netgear router let me. Now that I have a new one I have less control. It's simply unacceptable.
Message 7 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi @CelticAlien,

You can still set priorities per device. Once QoS is enabled, you go to attached devices and select  each devices and click on edit. You will be able to set priorities per device.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 11
CelticAlien
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, but as I said that doesn't work. I have my wife's Mac set to the Highest priority. My kid's computers are set to low. Yet, when they have YouTube running, then they always use up most of my bandwidth, even if my wife's computer is trying to publish her photography to the web. I need the ability to manually set the max bandwidth for each computer or I need to be able to say specific services such as youtube cannot use up my bandwidth.

Message 9 of 11
CelticAlien
Aspirant

Here is a screen capture of what I'm talking about. This is consistant and often worse. BTW, V1.0.0.94 has a glitch. I usually have "Block all new devices from connecting" on by default rather than allow. This gives me the added security of having to go into the system and explicity giving users access by checkmarking them and clicking the allow button. The only problem is that under this new firmware, even when I checkmark the device and click allow... it doesn't. THey stay blocked. I have to actually click the radio button "Allow all new devices to connect" and save that... then change it back to block and save it again. Then it will accept my change.

routercap.jpg

Message 10 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi @CelticAlien,

Please check your inbox, I have sent you a message.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E