Re: R7000: ISSUES on current firmware?? Need Help or feedback

TKoftheCarolina
Aspirant

R7000: ISSUES on current firmware?? Need Help or feedback

First: Going to http://support.netgear.com/url fails to "Page not Found" simple fix

Firmware Version 1.0.2.194 (All Regions except China)
Noticed notification of new firmware update on page even when no new is available--Known
Noticed that both Wifi LED's flash as if traffic even when there is no wifi devices on, a reboot stops this but will continue again once a device connects.
Services like telnet, btx, afp, ipp, and upnp still show active on port scans even when services are disabled or blocked.
Wifi: wps enabled by default, noticed that with both 2.4 and 5 together with same ssid etc, still will not allow a device to pick the 5ghz when close and instead stays on 2.4. "perhaps device"? Also noticed at times the LAN led light going amber after long periods or days and reboot needed.
No options to VLAN to separate wifi bridge with LAN? could not find option.
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I returned mine after 3 weeks, I can always buy another one after they solve the FW problems that some users are seeing. If I were you I would do the same, your list of concerns is quite long and the chance of all of them being resolved are slim.

I don't agree with using same SSID for both 2.4 and 5g and then complaining about results. This has been discussed on this forum already and blaming the router if I understood you is just wrong.

Return it, you'll feel better, less stress waiting for a fix that might never come.
Message 2 of 7
TKoftheCarolina
Aspirant

I might try a dd-wrt beta or get asus68 router, most all routers including netgear are made in china but it's sad that good hardware is crippled by bad FW. Hopefully Netgear will put out a FW that works completely and tests it first and not pull a Microsoft.
Message 3 of 7
Squuiid
Luminary

searay wrote:
I don't agree with using same SSID for both 2.4 and 5g and then complaining about results. This has been discussed on this forum already and blaming the router if I understood you is just wrong.

Yes, seriously folks, do not use the same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. You will only get problems doing this. Set distinct SSID names for each band to avoid issues.
Message 4 of 7
1kevinm
Novice

Squuiid wrote:
Yes, seriously folks, do not use the same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. You will only get problems doing this. Set distinct SSID names for each band to avoid issues.

I have both bands set to the same SSID and have no issues. The computer or device select the appropriate band. I do not want to select a different band based on where I am in the house or yard, I want the device to do this.
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's great what client cards are you using that do this from what seen since switching to AC they don't roam to even to another AP using same SSID when sitting 3 feet away so I doubt they will actually switch bands.

But, I could be wrong I'll play around tomorrow.
Message 6 of 7
1kevinm
Novice

We have 20-30 devices on the network at most times, some are wired to switch and some to bridges.

One of the laptops has the Intel AC7260 card, the others have the Intel 6230.

We also have various iPhones (5), iPads, and iPods.

Additionally, a Cisco switch, 2 WUMC710 AC bridges (these are only 5ghz), and a wireless N gaming adapter.

I have now had the R7000 for a couple of months (running current firmware). It replaced an EA6500. Due to the improved performance of the wireless on the R7000, I eliminated a wireless repeater.

This is the third dual band router that I have had all using the same SSID for both bands.

The WUMC's are on different ends of the house one connects at 1300, the other at 1048.

This is the best performing router I've had in the network.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E