Re: R7000 Initial SSID Setup Questions

mamaRose
Follower

R7000 Initial SSID Setup Questions

I read that the router should not be near the computer; so, what is too close?

When you get to basic homepage and  you have to enter a network name wil that be the wifipassword on router and the second area on network name will be same password just with a 5G after it?

What is SSID?

Sorry to bother you with so many questions but I have never set up a router.  I am also not a 'hands on for electronic' equipment.  

Thank you, 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 2
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Re: R7000 Initial SSID Setup Questions

>>I read that the router should not be near the computer; so, what is too close?

Hi, I have always had a PC within a couple of feet of the router and never had a problem.

>>When you get to basic homepage and  you have to enter a network name wil that be the wifipassword on router and the second area on >>network name will be same password just with a 5G after it?

An SSID is a "network name" that you will be able to see from your clients (phone, PC, etc.).  So if you want to have separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, you are correct that you can put a 5G after the name - or use a totally different name.  Some (most) routers offer smart connect, which allows you to use the same name for both, and then your computer and router "figure it out" together.

I always have two separate networks, and then also a guest network.

Lot's of helpful people here, so keep asking questions.

Good luck,

R

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E