Re: R7000 Internet disconnect

GreenPeter
Tutor

R7000 Internet disconnect

Hi - would appreciate some suggestions, pls. Can't find resolution to this from previous Community posts, and it's beyond me at the moment..

R7000 worked perfectly for ~4 years, up to ~4 weeks ago. Firmwater on "auto-update", currently running V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

Problem: router disconnects from the internet roughly once or twice every two days. Cycling the router power always resolves the problem, so far..

My tests suggest that this is something within the R7000, rather than ISP or attached devices.

• The ISP has tested their incoming service and checked their outages – no problems with ISP
  • The broadband modem (BT Openreach) is functioning correctly and reporting continuous service at >140 MB/s – continuous availability of broadband to R7000
  • "Connection mode" is 'always on'
  • Both wireless and wired devices, including those connected directly to the R7000, all report ‘no internet’ at the same time – not a problem with wireless or LAN side of the R7000
  • When internet connection is lost downstream of the R7000, the R7000 itself still shows a white light indicating 'good' connection to the internet – R7000 thinks it is connected to the internet, but is not providing that connection to local devices
  • Router MAC address is tied to actual device MAC, not default
  • When there is a disconnect from the internet, re-cycling the power to the R7000 has always resulted in a new, good connection to the internet – the problem is due to some setting within the R7000
  • have done a full factory reset and then reconfigured from scratch - problem endures.

Appreciate any guidance from the Community - thanks in advance!

Peter

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

@GreenPeter wrote:

Hi - would appreciate some suggestions, pls. Can't find resolution to this from previous Community posts, and it's beyond me at the moment..

R7000 worked perfectly for ~4 years, up to ~4 weeks ago. Firmwater on "auto-update", currently running V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

Problem: router disconnects from the internet roughly once or twice every two days. Cycling the router power always resolves the problem, so far..

My tests suggest that this is something within the R7000, rather than ISP or attached devices.

• The ISP has tested their incoming service and checked their outages – no problems with ISP
  • The broadband modem (BT Openreach) is functioning correctly and reporting continuous service at >140 MB/s – continuous availability of broadband to R7000-----Which modem is it? (model)
  • "Connection mode" is 'always on'
  • Both wireless and wired devices, including those connected directly to the R7000, all report ‘no internet’ at the same time – not a problem with wireless or LAN side of the R7000
  • When internet connection is lost downstream of the R7000, the R7000 itself still shows a white light indicating 'good' connection to the internet – R7000 thinks it is connected to the internet, but is not providing that connection to local devices
  • Router MAC address is tied to actual device MAC, not default
  • When there is a disconnect from the internet, re-cycling the power to the R7000 has always resulted in a new, good connection to the internet – the problem is due to some setting within the R7000----Not for sure. If you're modem is assigning the IP and its expiring after a set amount of time and its not assigning a new one to the R7000, that could be causing your issue as well as fixing it with a reboot. 
  • have done a full factory reset and then reconfigured from scratch - problem endures.

Appreciate any guidance from the Community - thanks in advance!

Peter

What actual model modem is it?

I'd try the .42 firmware for the R7000. The R7000 is notorious for bad firmware. The most agreed upon stable firmware for it has been the .42 version. I'd recommend downgrading to it, factory resetting, and setting up manually (not from a backup). Again, its been known to have bad firmware and its better to not have to worry about the firmware causing the issue and start from a stable version. 

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 2 of 16
GreenPeter
Tutor

Hi PLemans -

thanks for this. I take your point re the modem IP lease expiry...could explain it. If the lease expired, then the R7000 would cease to have internet access, but the router is still showing a solid white light which suggests it still thinks it is connected, which is odd.

The modem is BT OPENREACH, "G.fast Modem" model MT992.

Think this approach is preferred, since the router firmware has never been an issue on my installation, which I see is not always the case. The current firmware in my router was upgraded in Aug 2019, which pre-dates this current problem. Problem seems more likely to be elsewhere.

Message 3 of 16
GreenPeter
Tutor

Hi (again) Plemans,

Just wanted to let you know the outcome of this problem.

Turns out it was the R7000 beginning to break down, either hardware or firmware... The R7000 has been replaced and completely resolved the issues.

For the record, the router still functioned in part, but started doing weird things that didn't seem to follow a pattern:

• it would only stay connected to the modem for ~2 days, probably the extent of its IP lease after being rebooted
  • it wiped its entire configuration and reset itself to factory-settings, with no external causal factor. (as a result, all powerline devices lost their own configuration, presumably due to re-writing their IP addresses)
  • after a 'fail', it would not respond to browser request to its IP address - couldn't get access to the router to see what was going on or look at its event log

Not sure I understand how the device can still function partially, rather than have a catastrophic failure which I'd expect with a hardware failure. Nevertheless, thanks for your assistance earlier on - much appreciated!

Message 4 of 16
plemans
Guru

glad to see/hear you got it working. Sorry it was a hardware failure.

You didn't ever put if you tried downgrading the firmware. Many have had issues with newer firmware with the main stable version being the .42 firmware that was released in 2018. 

If you didn't, i'd try downgrading, factory resetting, and a manual reinstall. Even if you already have a new router, a backup is never a bad thing. Or even to run it in AP mode 

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 5 of 16
Atis_226
Aspirant

HI,

I have the exact same issue. I have to physically disconnect the moden power and reconnect it to get the internet back. What model did you replaced it with.

Thanks

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 6 of 16
GreenPeter
Tutor

Hi Atis -

I had an unused BT Hub that I brought into service temporarily.

I'm minded to purchase the Orbi RBK23 / AC2200 system, although the experience of being dealt this problem by Netgear itself and with no direct assistance to resolve it is hard to swallow! I'm also looking at the TP-Link M9 to get away from Netgear...

Message 7 of 16
Atis_226
Aspirant

I'm looking at different models, but I bought the Netgear Armor (Bitdefender), which is valid for another 6 mths and I really had no issues with that model since the last few months. I was wondering if it was the Armor that was causing the problem. Range is great and interface is decent. Maybe I'll look at more recent Netgear modems.

Message 8 of 16
timstack
Apprentice

I woke up this morning with No Internet with my R7000 with .42 firmware. All Lights were active and good. Thought my ISP was done but no just my R7000 failed for some reason. Went back to .88 firmware.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 16
GreenPeter
Tutor

Hi Timstack -

that sounds precisely the same as my experience, save for the fact that I was already on the .88 firmware.

I've run through a lot of diagnostics, ruling out various possible causes; including as you say checking that the ISP service was good.

If yours follows the same path, you can expect the ' No Internet' fault to continue, loss of browser access to the router, loss of router configuration, and so on. It would be interesting for the community (and Netgear themselves, if they cared) to see if this is what happens to your router.

If it does follow the same path, then it's fair to conclude that there is a fault in the router which is not resolved by firmware up-grades, and quite possibly time-based - something triggered by loss of an internal date / time / usage / battery-power etc. It's such an odd fault, you could wonder if it is a 'built-in obsolesence' to promote replacement sales - but that maybe that's too cynical...

Disappointing that Netgear takes responsibility for providing firmware up-grades but does not consider them as part of a warranty. Once the hardware warranty expires at 12 months, then you're on your own despite the fact that firmware appears to be contributing to / creating the problems.

Message 10 of 16
Atis_226
Aspirant

Now it started to disconnect more often, almost everyday. I agree that it would be very nice if Netgear did something about it, but I can't find any decent troubleshooting tips or solutions from them. Did anyone try to use third party firmware like DD-WRT?

Message 11 of 16
GreenPeter
Tutor

Fascinating! The rate of incidence of this "internet disconnect" problem is increasing with time, rather than simply breaking at one point. The routers seems to have been fine for a few years before this starts happening.
Does that suggest that an on-board PCB battery is approaching the end of its life and failing to maintain basic settings, like date and time? Does anybody know if the R7000 has a battery back-up to maintain its BIOS? Anyone tried replacing it?

Message 12 of 16
Atis_226
Aspirant

I’m looking at the TP-Link Archer C4000, any thoughts?
Message 13 of 16
labatt
Prodigy

@Atis_226 wrote:
I’m looking at the TP-Link Archer C4000, any thoughts?

Have a friend with one and he is very happy. Former r8000 owner. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 14 of 16
Atis_226
Aspirant

Disconnected again yesterday and given the poor support from Netgear I decided to go with the TP-Link.So long Netgear.

Message 15 of 16
GreenPeter
Tutor

Don't think there is any chance of it being resurrected from these terminal faults, given my own experience, so replacing it is a sound decision. Good luck with the TPLink.
Missed opportunity NETGEAR - read it and weap!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements