R7000 Multiple issue resolved by rolling back firmware -Anything I can to to protect from VPNFilter?

Darwin1859
Initiate

R7000 Multiple issue resolved by rolling back firmware -Anything I can to to protect from VPNFilter?

Hi All,

I have had the R7000 for over a year now and I was very happy with its performance until, alarmed by VPNFilter news,  I upgraded to the latest firmware (V1.0.9.32_10.2.34).  Then problems started piling up:

Brother wireless printer couldn't be found

Chromecast ver1 stopped working

Device list only shows wired devices

Wifi speed dropped from mid 30s to 2-5 Mbps on both 2.4 and 5G wireless

The main remedy I tried was to factory reset the router a couple of times, and leaving everything in the default state - no luck.  I did some gyrations on the printer problem with reserved IP addresses.  That was partially successful in that one wired PC could print but wireless devices could not.  

With trepidation, I rolled back to V1.0.9.28_10.2.32 and all my router problems are fixed.  I didn't even have to factory reset.

I considered updating back to V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 to see if it would behave itself now, but my family is threatening mutiny if I mess with the internet again.

Anything I should be doing to protect against VPNFilter and the like until Netgear updates the firmwear again?  I have already changed the router password, changed my SSIDs and wifi passwords, left Remote Management off.

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
MtnDrew
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Multiple issue resolved by rolling back firmware -Anything I can to to protect from VPNFil

Just rolled back to V1.0.9.28_10.2.32.  Seems to be holding for now.  Same slow wireless speed problem.  100mb down to 20-7mb on wireless only.  Looks like it was a problem back in 2017 with some version releases as well.  Think the latest firmware needs fixing.

Message 2 of 3
Darwin1859
Initiate

Re: R7000 Multiple issue resolved by rolling back firmware -Anything I can to to protect from VPNFil

I had some time when the family was off devices and I tried manually updating to the latest firmware - V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 . 

So far, so good.  All attached devices are showing. Previous to doing the downgrade yesterday, only wired devices would persist in the attached devices screen in the router web interface.  Wireless would show up for a minute when they first connected, but would drop in a couple of minutes.

It is weird that just doing factory resets didn't get the latest firmware to work for me.  Maybe something went sideways in the original assisted update to .32 that was fixed by doing the manual downgrade.  

Anyway, happy for now.  Thanks to all the earlier posters who mentioned that a downgrade helped them.  That got me to quit worrying and I learned to love manually updating firmware.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E