Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 NAS Drive Can't Delete Files Folders Permissions Issue User \ Nobody

szewski
Guide

R7000 NAS Drive Can't Delete Files Folders Permissions Issue User \ Nobody

I have the R7000 with a Seagate STBV4000100 4TB USB 3.0 drive connected. I can connect to it just fine, drive shares work etc. From a WIN 7 64bit OS system using windows explorer I can create folders, files etc.

Problem is, on occasion when I try to delete some files or folders I get the following message;

"You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this folder"

It would seem I'm not able to change the permissions from windows explorer either.

Would anyone know how I can change the permissions so I can delete from windows explorer?

One thing of note. When I copied the folders/files to the NAS drive from the windows system, some of the files were marked as read only. Not sure if this is part of the issue, but either way. How can I set the permissions to something so I can delete them from windows?

NOTE: If I disconnect the drive from the router and connect it directly to the PC... it works fine. As router and PC are not on same floor, this is not practical and defeats the purpose. Suggestions welcome!

Message 1 of 81

Accepted Solutions
PaulVdB
Tutor

After a few reformats of the drive, it worked for me. The files on the eSata drive are exactly like the "standard" Windows Explorer. I can save, load, delete, change properties etc... Since it worked, I had to power down the router once, and after a restart, nothing had changed. Everything still working. (except the bad 5G wifi, and the "freaky" interface, but that was like before)...

View solution in original post

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 81 of 81

All Replies
Firerouge
Initiate

I have the same problem under windows 8.1 64 bit.
Message 2 of 81
szewski
Guide

I do have a case in with Netgear Tech Support. I'm still waiting on their feedback. I'll post what I found out. Looks like this is not uncommon per se'. I read somewhere a user had a similar issue after copying files which were RO (Read Only) on the windows side to the NAS drive connected to the router. This is something I did too. I want to see what Netgear says before I try something. What I plan on trying (if they don't provide a fix) is to connect the drive directly to my Windows PC and reset all the rights on the files to not be RO and see if that makes a difference.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Message 3 of 81
szewski
Guide

Have done some additional testing with no success yet.

Regarding the folder I'm unable to delete;

It seems to me, at least from a windows perspective that the Windows OS sees both impacted folder/file permissions EXACTLY the same as folders/files without the issue.

I cannot see any reason why random files and/or folders are unable to be deleted. Since the rights are controlled by the router, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bug. Still waiting on feedback from Netgear Tech Support.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas? :confused:
Message 4 of 81
IrvSp
Master

I hit the same problem today. Win8.1.

I've also had files copied over via Explorer to the USB drive disappear?
Message 5 of 81
szewski
Guide

I'm still working with Netgear support via email. So far they had me try resetting to factory defaults. Didn't work.

It does seem to be random too. I was using the windows backup feature and it had created 5 or so backup sets. I decided to delete them and I could only delete 4 (the 5th was not being held open be the backup application). Point is the same process created them and then only could delete 4 of 5. Weird.

I currently have 1 folder which prompts me for the user\nobody permissions and one which I get no errors when I try to delete it... it just doesn't go away.

They really need to incorporate a reset-rights on all files options or other management tool.

I can fix them all by connecting the drive to my PC, but holding off so Netgear support has these examples....
Message 6 of 81
IrvSp
Master

Thanks for the update. Please post any more info you get?

My files are all in individual folders. The one I'm having problems with is an empty folder. I don't want to delete anything else right now, but I'll try later and see if a used folder, not an empty one can be deleted.

Hmm, just tried doing a MOVE from the USB to my PC using Explorer. That DID work. The folder and files inside it are gone from the USB? Makes no sense? I just tried deleting the empty folder and it fails with the permissions error?
Message 7 of 81
szewski
Guide

ok - so not having much success with Netgear support. They had me try an older firmware. While I appreciate the suggestion, as they are willing to see if it is something in their code, if the problem existed in the older firmware, it wouldn't reveal it. In this case, it did not resolve the problem. They then asked if I had the issue with 2nd USB drive. I borrowed one and tried it for a week and eventually the problem occurred on the 2nd drive as well.

Would be nice if the could build in a file management utility into the UI which would be directly UNIX and not Windows to UNIX. or at the lease a reset all files/folders permissions.

Anyone else seeing this?
Message 8 of 81
poketix
Guide

Do not bother with the old firmware - the problem persists from the very first release. R7000 damages the file system from time to time when it performs a write-to-disk operation. Since DLNA service indexes the media files and stores the database to the connected disk it means that generally any storage device connected to the R7000 via USB has all the chances to loose some files located on it. I personally experienced this on numerous devices - flash disks, external hard drives, etc. I have the support case open in Netgear. They even succeed to reproduce, no fix though and no estimation when could it be. I think that destroying the customers data is a subject for the legal claim. Netgear, do you read it? Be warned.
Message 9 of 81
DanPaganelli
Novice

Yes - this problem is infuriating.

The only fix I have found is to plug the USB device into my computer and have windows repair it, which takes forever.

I am really hoping for a fix soon as I am not a fan of losing large amounts of data or not being able to write to/delete anything from the USB device.

NETGEAR are you listening?? :confused:
Message 10 of 81

I've been having this problem for the past day, and it's a brand new HDD that I'm trying to copy all of my essential folders from a smaller USB 2.0 drive that isn't recognized by the router so I'm manually having to plug it into the laptop to transfer the things over wirelessly. Although every large folder I transfer over comes with a number of random copy and location errors so when I try to find the files that didn't pass over fully, I can't replace them - and then I can't delete them to start the copying over from scratch. Is this actually harming or corrupting the harddrive when this happens? If that is the case then that is one of few straws that I can never forget or forgive. They need to patch the firmware again, and maybe if they did that they could make more HDD's compatible with the router so I could use my WD 500GB Passport.
Message 11 of 81
JimmyBill
Aspirant

Well, I have this same problem on the N750 (DGND4000). That is, I am unable to delete files that were on my READYSHARE USB portable hard drive when I plugged it into the router.. I am WIN8.1 and thought it was a network permissions issue. The error message says "You require permission from READYSHARE\root to make changes to this file." OK, fair enough. So in File Explorer you can right click the highlighted file and select the Security tab. You will see that the file has only Read & execute & Read permissions allowed. So you can put a check mark in "Full control". There are 2 ways to do this. Push the Edit button or Advanced button. Bottom line is this: You can set Full control (which does enable file deletion.) HOWEVER, as soon as you press the Apply button, the Full controls are immediately erased and you revert to the original states. Note: I have administer privileges. Still doesn't work.

Netgear support hasn't a clue. The support person just wanted to upgrade my firmware (which was unsuccessful anyway.)
Message 12 of 81
JimmyBill
Aspirant

The only progress I have made on this problem is as follows.

By the "problem" I mean that when I plugged my portable hard disk drive into the NAS port on the N750 (DGND4000) router, I found I could not delete the files that were already on the router.

I am running WIN8.1.

Usint File Explorer, click on the file you want to delete to select it. Right click it. But do not select Delete. Instead select Properties, then choose the Security tab. If for the items in Group or user names you do not see Full control Allowed, you will not be able to delete the file. Worse yet, you will not be able to set it here for some reason (even as a WIN Administrator).

However, some of my files WERE Allowed Full control. For those fileS I WAS ABLE TO DELETE THEM.

Maybe you will have the same experience.
Message 13 of 81
Atin90
Aspirant

Odd solution to this problem that worked for me...I have removed the deleted files folder while the drive is plugged in to my local PC. Once I removed the deleted folders, I was able to delete the troublesome files/folders.
Message 14 of 81
Inolvidable
Aspirant

This worked for me:

In the router interface go to advanced - USB storage - advanced settings. Click on the edit button under the unit you want to fix. A pop-up (or new tab) will come up. After that set the read and write permissions as allow for all, even if they were like that before and save.

I hope it helps
Message 15 of 81
Atin90
Aspirant

Inolvidable,

That is interesting
Message 16 of 81
Inolvidable
Aspirant

Unfortunately it worked only for a while :(.. So after rebooting the router and my PC I went to the folder containing all media files in my readyshare unit and unchecked the "only read" box in properties. After 24 hours everything seems fine, but I realize it is just a matter of time... My refund period is coming to an end and sadly I am having second thoughts due to all the stability issues (wifi-wise, nas-wise etc..) and the absence of proper fixes from Netgear after more than 4 months now.

I hope at least I can try that official firmware that might be released by the end of february.
Message 17 of 81
rprichard
Aspirant

If you can, look at case# 22705879 that I filed on data corruptions issues I'm having with both a USB3 and USB2 HD drives..If I move the drives back to my iMac, it reports they need to be verified and eventually repaired,,During repair It then tells me it can't repair and I need to back up the files and reformat the drive... The Drives work fine when connected and shared directly from the iMac or other computers.

It certainly looks like there is a problem with their device drivers, and/or, drive management.. Very frustrating..I can't keep copying 500G of files back and forth all the time!

I also have a recent post on the R7000 forums regarding Extended Journaled and GUID partition problems that outline all the problems and testing that I have done.
Message 18 of 81
NM5SD
Aspirant

"The only fix I have found is to plug the USB device into my computer and have windows repair it, which takes forever."

Don't repair it. Go to Device Manager and "Uninstall" it. Then scan for new hardware. It's quick and works fine with permissions restored.
Message 19 of 81
IrvSp
Master

I only had the subject problem once (on W8.1) and after I took the drive to the PC and it was 'repaired' I could delete the file. Put drive (USB 2.0 1TB) back on the R7000 and have not had this particular problem again.

I do have two specific Media Server problems though.

I did report this to Netgear with captured screens from the iPad (Media Client) with proof it is purely (on the dups at least) a Media Server Catalog problem, and hence firmware. If I open .readyDLNA using a SQL viewer I can see the dups listed. That is why when I delete the file and restart the server, the database is rebuilt and it scans all folders for data to include. This function works correctly. It appears what doesn't is when the database is being updated by the f/w as files and folders are added.

Once I lose a folder or file that was copied/moved to the USB drive I sort of suspect the file structure is damaged. I then take the USB drive to the PC and Windows recognizes it has a problem, runs CHKDSK and reports it found FREESPACE as allocated, probably where the missing folder and file(s) are/were. Again, probably a F/W problem. This is because they sent me a V1.0.2.xx beta and it still had the same problems.

So what does Netgear support do, claims they can't reproduce this (could be tough) and tells me my router is probably damaged and issues an RMA. $12 later I get another R7000 with the same S/N on it. OK, give it a try, problem persists. Yesterday new F/W released, gave it a try, problem persists, at least the dup's, have not see lost folders/files, yet.

I did NOT have such problems with my old ASUS RT-N56U and the same USB drive.

I am NOT optimistic this will be fixed soon. Bummer. It is either unique to my system as I use a 3rd party Windows Explorer (Explorer++) or my network card (hard wired to the router). I did use the Windows Explorer as a test once and it did happen with that, so since it works with my old router OK I sort of rule these out as the cause.
Message 20 of 81
CDLNet
Initiate

Hi Guy,

I am new to the forum today, but have good experience re: WNDR3800 and R7000 USB HDD file access issues, etc.

Bottom line:

files and folder do seem to get 'locked out' somehow... not sure why...

if you get an error when trying to access the shared folder or file, something like, "Unix/Nobody..."

To correct, simply find the folder on the HDD (not need to disconnect from the router),
right click, properties
clear the read only box

worked for me on several files

Good luck.

CDL
Message 21 of 81
kendybar
Aspirant

Hi people.
I upgrated from a wndr3400v2 to the r7000 3 days ago. At first, I was really happy because transfers from "readyshare" to my pc went from 4 MB/s to 60 MB/s. Range was also better.
However, yesterday I tried downloading a 17 GB torrent to the readyshare USB drive. About halfway through, all the files that were downloaded disappeared. The folder was still there but it was empty and I couldn't delete it. I had to unplug the drive, and plug it in my pc to delete it. Then I restarted the download and it worked. But this morning the files were gone again. Same problem, I couldn't delete the folder with the following error message: "You require permission from Unis User\nobody to make changes to this folder". This is very annoying and I'm afraid to loose more data. I hope the damage is limited to this torrent only. Anyways, I just wanted to let you guys know since this thread hadn't had any activity in a couple months. I want to let you know that this issue is still there with the latest firmware (V1.0.3.60_1.1.27). I'll be returning this router and go back to my good old wndr3400v2.

P.S. I also loose all connections (wired and wifi) about once per day since I got the R7000. It could be related to the USB problems, I don't know.

Cheers!
Message 22 of 81
WAS_1
Aspirant

Yes, I'm also still getting NTFS file system corruptions on a USB3 connected flashdrive as discussed in my Feb 2014 thread:

Ok, connected the flashdrive to the PC and ran chkdsk. Errors were found and corrected. Re-connected the flashdrive to the R7000 USB3 socket and copied the smaller 2 GB file. File copied ok. Copied the larger 93 GB file and it was corrupted as before. Re-connected the flashdrive to the PC and ran chkdsk again. Following corrections made AGAIN:

Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

Looks like the first copy corrupts the file system!

This also occurs with the latest firmware and even after a lengthy and frustrating dialog with support earlier in the year.
Message 23 of 81
Retired_Member
Not applicable

CDLNet,

This also worked for me, temporarily, but the problem came back. I am trying to use the share for Windows 8 File History, and I'm concerned that the 'Clean up Versions" feature won't work. One thing that I plan on trying is to use the "connect using different credentials" with the Netgear admin user and password when I use the 'Map Network Drive" function in Windows 8.
Message 24 of 81
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would strongly recommend against using NTFS.

Use EXT3/4 and you'll likely see a lot of these problems disappear.

If you really need to access your drive from a PC, there are drivers available for Windows that work way better than using NTFS on a Netgear router.
Message 25 of 81
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7