AndyJ_GB
Aspirant

R7000 Nest and Amazon Issues

Hi All, hoping you can help.  I'll provide as much background info as I can.

Approximately a year ago I moved to a new ISP, they blocked me from using my R7000 and forced me to use their specifc Modem.  A year later and many many modem related issues resolved I'm still having issues with that router restarting the PPP connection once or twice a day.  During a support call one of the 3rd Line support guys offered to give me my login details so I could test using my trusty R7000, fantastic.!!

So yesterday I reconnected the R7000.  Had to reset to factory defaults to get it to work.  Then upgraded to the latest firmware.  I moved all the physical connections over from to the R7000, then I connected all the Wireless devices.  Everything seemed initially to be working well.

Then I discovered that my Amazon Fire TV (not the stick) which is connected via Ethernet would not work.  Also when I moved it over from Wired to Wireless it still wouldn't work.  Then I noticed that NEST Thermostat (connected via Wireless) wouldn't work either.

Initially I'd setup the Wireless using SMART to combine to 2.4 and 5Ghz.  But once I noticed the NEST issue I stopped this and tried to connect directly to the 2.4 band.  This still wouldn't work.

As it was late by then and I HAD to Work From Home today, I disconnected everything and reinstalled the router from the ISP.  Everything works fine again, but obviously I'd far rather get my R7000 to work.

Any ideas please ?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
AndyJ_GB
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Nest and Amazon Issues

Hi.  Not currently able to check the Fire OS Version, but I very recently did a rebuild on it to the latest update.

I have no other Android, Google / Chromecast devices.  All our phones and Tablets are iOS and they all worked seemlessly on the R7000.

All devices work perfectly on the ISP supplied (bottom of the range) free router.  But the Fire TV and Nest refuse to work on my R7000.

Message 2 of 8
AndyJ_GB
Aspirant

Cheers.  Will bare in mind to test later.  Especially if I get an answer that covers the Amazon issue too.

Strange thing is that the Nest was initially installed on the R7000 before I moved ISP's early last near.  So it did work correctly with absolutely no adjusting any WiFi parameters.  Now it won't connect.  In fact on the device it seems to connect, however you can't get to it from the App (which says it is offline).  The only thing I can think of that's different is that there are now newer versions of the Router firmware and I'm on the latest one.  This is the only thing I can think of that's different on the R7000 now (compared to when it was last used - and everything worked).

Message 3 of 8
AndyJ_GB
Aspirant

Pretty sure that the Nest was visable as a device on the network.  

Message 4 of 8
AndyJ_GB
Aspirant

Found this info buried under a different menu to where I expected in the end.

2.4 = 20Mhz, Channel is Auto, there's no mention of speed.

Message 5 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi AndyJ_GB,

Please try this firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix

Message 6 of 8
AndyJ_GB
Aspirant

Thanks James, but I can't see anything even suggested in this patch that would stop my Amazon box from working.  Are there fixes not documented here ?

For the moment I've put the R7000 away and had to set everything up again using the ISP provided router.

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi AndyJ_GB,

It might be the problem with the 2.4Ghz wireless connection which is being addressed by the firmware.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements