Re: R7000 Netgear support expert experience?

riesecanada
Tutor

R7000 Netgear support expert experience?

I have used two R7000 routers (router/bridge) in the last few months and have so far noticed five separate problems (even with latest firmware). I created cases for each of them with Netgear support.

Some of the problems are common and I have seen other users in this forum discussing them without a solution.

The result for each of them has been that the support 'experts' are not even reading the short & precise problem descriptions. Their replies are cut & paste of a standard reply text and have even referred to non applicable KB article solutions.

I am getting the feeling that they do not have an interest in resolving the problem and making the product better.

Has anyone experienced the same?
Message 1 of 15
WizardJ
Luminary

That hasn't been my experience at all. But I live in Sweden and we have a localized 2 years of phone support from date of purchase. Our neighboring country Norway gets 5 years of phone support.

I'd guess the people at first line support have alot of cases on their hands, so just try and be polite with them and point out that you've tried what they've suggested and want to know what the next step is since you have so many cases. Perhaps they could collect your specific questions and open up a new case that they escalate to the next support level, for someone with a little more time to take a look at it.

By the way, feel free to elaborate on the issues you've been having with the R7000, there might be people here on the forums that can be of help. 🙂
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Message 2 of 15
IrvSp
Master

riesecanada wrote:

Has anyone experienced the same?

My support 'experience' so far has not been the best.

One that really irks me is the one where I'm getting duplicated filenames in folders copied or move from my PC to a USB drive mounted on the router. Files do have 'bogus' timestamps and sizes. Turning off the DLNA server (these are video files to be streamed to other devices) and back on resolves the problem, or one can leave the bogus ones there and not use them.

First I got some useless KB articles, then a beta driver. No help. Then they say I must have a 'bad' router and they RMA'ed it. Cost me $12 USD to send it to them. Got one back, probably refurbished, and the problem still is there. Now they are 'working on it', and it has been a few weeks with NO information from them.

Suspect they gave up, but I did provide screen captures from an iPad showing the problem.

Sigh....
Message 3 of 15
networking
Aspirant

well my experience was *extremely disappointing*. i wanted to know what size key that they have the r7000's openvpn generate. their answer - that's proprietary information. um, no it's not. it is perfectly acceptable to want to know what key size is protecting openvpn sessions made with the r7000.

one of the reasons i bought the r7000 was for the built in openvpn server and I can't even use it because I don't know if it's secure!
Message 4 of 15
poketix
Guide

I'm totally frustrated with the Netgear support. It looks like they are simply submitting in the random manner the completely irrelevant suggestions and "do something" requests. In most cases they do not read what customer reports or replies. They also lack even simple basic knowledge required to support the networking products (I really enjoyed their suggestion to "ping" the DNS, not its IP address but DNS itself, they even insisted!).

Overall Netgear recent products (R6300v2, R7000) and their support are extremely disappointing from every point of view - plenty of the critical problems without any resolution over time.

I switched to the DD-WRT release provided by Kong. It looks like this nice person developing firmware just as his hobby beats the Netgear's "professionals" in every aspect. Kong's open source software is stable and solid. Netgear, hire Kong - he seems to be much more efficient than all your support plus R&D together.
Message 5 of 15
WizardJ
Luminary

Let Netgear know you aren't happy with the product. I would think you are entitled to some form of refund if you "file a complaint".
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Message 6 of 15
ng1
Aspirant
Aspirant

My experience with Netgear support has been very poor. I have a case that I opened on March 4th and all they do is email me automated replies requesting to close the case. I have to login to the case and update it so it won't auto-close. The emails state they are going to auto-close the case because they haven't heard from me in 3 days but the the thing is....the case is awaiting action by them!

tl;dr Horrible support.
Message 7 of 15
riesecanada
Tutor

With my 5th support case for the R7000, I am having the same poor support experience again. The support 'experts' just look for keywords and provide KB article solutions instead of trying to understand the issue.

I have been working in IT support and software development for 15 years and I know how to be precise with problem descriptions.

I have been suspecting that their 'experts' are just bots, which look for keywords and find KB articles, but then their response time should be better.

I had better luck with Netgear's business support for one of their NAS devices, but at that time, I talked to a real person.

I might have to call them, but my 90 days phone support has ended.
Message 8 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The best way to deal with netgear support is as follows, If it works as expected with original FW out of the box Great! If it doesn't return it. This way you're not on your knees waiting for a fix. Each person has a different expectation of what works for them. After the return grace period up to 1 year if you have any problem which you suspect is hardware you tell them it's dead and won't power up. Ask for RMA. As for their USB, ready share or share printer pie in the sky crap, it either works or it does not and chances are it won't change for the better as time passes. You have 30 days make dam sure it meets your needs or return it.
Message 9 of 15
riesecanada
Tutor

The NETGEAR support madness with my two current R7000 firmware problems continues.

The 1st support case is about the latest firmware V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 breaking the bridge mode support. NETGEAR's support article about setting up the bridge mode advises to use the previous version. I asked support, if they have a newer test version, but they said no.

The 2nd support case is about the previous firmware and a bridge mode problem, where the connected wired PCs are not able to communicate with the gateway/Internet after a few days. Rebooting the bridge router resolves the problem temporarily. The support 'expert' advised to install the latest firmware V1.0.3.24_1.1.20! As per my 1st case, this breaks the router completely and does not resolve anything.

I am starting to agree with 'searay': If you have a problem with a NETGEAR product in the first 30 days, do not bother contacting their consumer support. They are useless and it is just frustrating.
Message 10 of 15
Kigen
Initiate

I've definitely had some frustrations. The important thing is to get past the front line of "experts". Generally they're there to deal with people who aren't at least looking at documentation. Which happens a lot.

My personal experience has been with trying to deal with the R7000 not accepting route advertisements from TWC for IPv6. (as seen here) I got asked to "enable IPv6" about 3 times. Each time it appears to be a different tech. I had to repeatedly point out that IPv6 is enabled and that its a firmware issue. They then finally said they'd look into it and asked for my config.

Anyway, the problem with the R7000 firmware not accepting IPv6 route advertisements is known.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/1vr7qb/router_not_getting_a_default_route_from_twc_but/

Hopefully my support case will result in a firmware fix being issued.
Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The other guys 1900ac is available today for preorder.:)
Message 12 of 15
BobHam
Aspirant

I found the same, poor, response on the CHAT support line. The "tech" did not even read my question, simply told me my request was not supported... even though my request is very straightforward, and then would not open a support ticket for me when I asked 4 times. (JohnPaul Delatore). Very disappointing. Hopefully my post in this forum will get me the information I need.
Message 13 of 15
riesecanada
Tutor

Has anyone had any luck with their communication with Netgear support to actually get their problem through to the engineers?

I have also been dealing with Netgear support for nearly seven weeks. The issue with the wired/wireless disconnect after 72+ hours, for me with the router in bridge mode, has been documented in precise detail.

After weeks of being held up with 1st level support, I made it to 2nd level support, but they also have just provided beta firmware versions with no indication, e.g., change log, that they resolve the problem and they never have. I have gone through four beta firmware releases this way.

Yesterday, support promised to escalate my issue to the engineers, but they needed again (some previously provided) system information, which I provided within 30 minutes of time. Not even a day later, I am given the information that a new official firmware release is imminent (sometime in May) and I need to wait for that.

Quote from support 'expert': "... I am hoping it will help us out to resolve this problem ...". They are stalling again and are hoping that the problem will magically disappear.

I feel powerless, besides being able to warn other users via this forum, about the incompetence of Netgear's support.

I sincerely hope that someone else has gotten through with their support cases and problems are actually resolved.

Yours,
Stephan
Message 14 of 15
theolsarge
Aspirant

[QUOTE=riesecanada;469316]I have used two R7000 routers (router/bridge) in the last few months and have so far noticed five separate problems (even with latest firmware). I created cases for each of them with Netgear support.

Some of the problems are common and I have seen other users in this forum discussing them without a solution.

The result for each of them has been that the support 'experts' are not even reading the short & precise problem descriptions. Their replies are cut & paste of a standard reply text and have even referred to non applicable KB article solutions.

I am getting the feeling that they do not have an interest in resolving the problem and making the product better.

Has anyone experienced the same?[/QUOTE
My experience with Netgear was exactly the same and was the same with other major corporations (Walmart). They obviously do not read the issue or pay attention. Your best bet is to get a "Level 2" tech as soon as you're able, which may be a tall order.

Best thing is their Chat. Everything conversationally is right there, they even email you a record of your conversation and, as I have done, use their words against them. :mad::mad:

Best thing we can hope for is some Netgear big wig gets a clue! :rolleyes:
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E