Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Network Is Down If Cable Internet Access Is Down

Highmaster2
Aspirant

R7000 Network Is Down If Cable Internet Access Is Down

HI,

I have cable internet access using an Arris SurfBoard SB6190.  The SB6190 is connected to the Internet port on my R7000.  The R7000 is the DHCP server.  Router IP is 192.168.1.1.  DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 200.  The SB6190 can be accessed by attaching a cable straight to it using 10.0.0.1.  If the internet access goes down for some reason, I can no longer connect to the devices on my home network.  Is this normal, or do I have something configured incorrectly?

Thanks for any assistance.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Highmaster2
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Network Is Down If Cable Internet Access Is Down

For whatever reason, everything has gone back to normal.

If my original post was unclear, I apologize.  They are upgrading the cable internet service equipment in my area.  As a result, I will have times when there is no internet access.  The lights on the modem may be flashing or all lit as normal, but I will have no intenet access.

A few days ago, it started occurring where, if I had no intent access, devices (PCs/TVs/Home theater system/phones/NAS) on my LAN would drop connections between the devices and the devices could not interact until internet access was restored.  

Still not sure what the problem was, but everything is back to normal and LAN access is not affected by internet status.

Thanks to all who responded.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> R7000 [...]

Firmware version?

> [...] If the internet access goes down for some reason, I can no
> longer connect to the devices on my home network. [...]

What, exactly, does "the internet access goes down" mean to you?
What are the actual symptoms (LED indicators, actual error messages,
...)?

"can no longer" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say
what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

"connect" how?  What are your "the devices"?  They're all connected
to the R7000?

Generally, devices on your LAN should be able to communicate with
each other even if the R7000 WAN/Internet Ethernet port is connected to
nothing.

Message 2 of 4
IrvSp
Master

This is odd to say the least?

What is also odd is the IP Address of the Modem? I had that modem at one time and could connect to it using 192.168.100.1 (most modems use this) while it was connected to the router, no need to connect a cable directly to it from a PC? Sounds more like a modem issue than a router one? See https://www.cleancss.com/router-default/Arris/SURFboard_SB6190 for the default, but 10.0.0.1 is listed by very few modems it seems. Wondering if the modem is failing, even Arris says it should be at 192.168.100.1 (https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB6190-Web-Manager-Access/?l=en_US&fs...).

Have you contacted your ISP for the modem when it drops the Internet? They should be able to see this?

Another question, when the Internet drops, can you see the LAN devices IF you removed the cable from the modem?

Message 3 of 4
Highmaster2
Aspirant

For whatever reason, everything has gone back to normal.

If my original post was unclear, I apologize.  They are upgrading the cable internet service equipment in my area.  As a result, I will have times when there is no internet access.  The lights on the modem may be flashing or all lit as normal, but I will have no intenet access.

A few days ago, it started occurring where, if I had no intent access, devices (PCs/TVs/Home theater system/phones/NAS) on my LAN would drop connections between the devices and the devices could not interact until internet access was restored.  

Still not sure what the problem was, but everything is back to normal and LAN access is not affected by internet status.

Thanks to all who responded.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7