R7000 Network proper setup

TGMcCallie
Aspirant

R7000 Network proper setup

I would appreciate some help.  I updated the firmware on my R7000 Nighthwk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router because I got message that there was available firmware update.

After the update I was asked to change my password key to the router.  There was no option not to do that.  

When i changed the Pasword Key the only device shown connected was my desktop.  I have a question now as I can't figure out how to set up my network.

After the firmware upgrade none of my wireless devices showed up in connected devices.  I want to have a 5G network, a 2.4G network and also a guest network.

Should the guest network be a 2.4 or 5.0 G network or should there be 1 2.4 network, 

1 5G network and 1 2.4 Guest network and 1 5G network?

Also should the Network name on all of them be the same?

Please help me so I can get my computer router set up properly since the firmware goofed it up.

Thanks

Tom

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: R7000 Network proper setup

> [...] I updated the firmware on my R7000 Nighthwk AC1900 Dual Band
> WiFi Router [...]

To which version?

> When i changed the Pasword Key [...]

Do you mean the "admin" password?  (Or some wireless-network
passphrase, or what?  Or did you reset all the settings to their default
values?)

> [...] the only device shown connected was my desktop.

Does your (unspecified) "my desktop" use a wired or wireless
connection to the R7000?

Normally, a firmware update should not disturb your wireless-network
settings.

> Please help me so I can get my computer router set up properly since
> the firmware goofed it up.

Or else you did.  There is no one "proper" set-up.  Visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

> [...] I want to have a 5G network, a 2.4G network and also a guest
> network. [...]

Ok.  Why only one guest network?

> [...] Should the guest network be a 2.4 or 5.0 G network or should
> there be 1 2.4 network, 1 5G network and 1 2.4 Guest network and 1 5G
> network?

Depends on what you want.  What did you have before the firmware
update?

> [...] Also should the Network name on all of them be the same?

In the User Manual, look for "Enable or Disable Smart Connect".  Not
everyone like the way that feature works.  I doubt that you can use the
same SSID for a guest network and a non-guest network.

Message 2 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@TGMcCallie wrote:

I would appreciate some help.  I updated the firmware on my R7000 Nighthwk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router because I got message that there was available firmware update.

After the update I was asked to change my password key to the router.  There was no option not to do that.  

When i changed the Pasword Key the only device shown connected was my desktop.  I have a question now as I can't figure out how to set up my network.

=================================

I have never seen that message, "After the update I was asked to change my password key to the router. ", on any firmware Update?

What appears to me to be the case, and again, you gave no specific details nor even what you did change, but I'm guessing you might have seen a message the SUGGESTED for security reasons you should change the ROUTER USERID and PASSWORD (default is/was 'admin' and 'password')? You it seems discovered the WIRELESS password/passphrase location and changed those... and the end result is ALL wireless devices are using the WRONG password and will not connect. Of course, if you had supplied the information that those devices couldn't connect and got that error we'd know for sure.

@TGMcCallie wrote:

Should the guest network be a 2.4 or 5.0 G network or should there be 1 2.4 network, 

1 5G network and 1 2.4 Guest network and 1 5G network?

Also should the Network name on all of them be the same?

That choice is your's to make, but you'll probably not know what device a guest might have you'd probably want both enabled. That assume you'd even NEED one.

Well, if you had a DUAL BAND device, that is one that see both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band SSID's if they were the same how would one know which to choose? Logic would say they should be DIFFERENT...

Now for the actual NON-GUEST LAN, different story. The router does have a SMART CONNECT feature. This allows the router to MANAGE who gets connected to which band (but it might not do it well or the way you want it to). Enabling that FORCES the same SSID and PASSWORD to be bands.

@TGMcCallie wrote:

Please help me so I can get my computer router set up properly since the firmware goofed it up.

Offhand, without further proof, I don't think these are firmware update caused problems. Might behoove you to get the manual and setup guide and read them for clarification on managing and setting up the router. All you questions are explained in those documents you can d/l from the SUPPORT page for your router, just enter R7000 and on the next page that comes up select DOCUMENTATION... d/l them and you are good to go,

Message 3 of 7

@IrvSp wrote:

I have never seen that message, "After the update I was asked to change my password key to the router. ", on any firmware Update?

Netgear is getting increasingly draconian and nanny like on this sort of thing.

For example, after a reset it forces you to answer the "Password recovery" questions. No "skip" option.

I just complete the process and then turn off the "Password recovery" option.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

For example, after a reset it forces you to answer the "Password recovery" questions. No "skip" option.

Understand that specific one. Mess up the login credentials or cancel when it is up, and that appears. Doesn't matter if you set some up or not? To me, that particular one is a good thing. I change mine often, and for the web browser I use a Password Manager... and I soon forget what they were. Of course, when I'm not on my PC, using my wife's or even the iPad's to check/change something I'll not know what I'm using at present. Password Recovery has come in handy in that specfic case.

However in my response I was questioning if that was real or not? I have NEVER seen it. Don't know if it was paraphrased to something it wasn't.

With NG's on-going firmware screwups, I was surprised that the initial install/setup of the router, either using a wireless mobile device or even a PC with a Browser, last March installing the R8000 the FIRST thing it did was after registering the router was tell me there was an UPDATE!!! Asked me if I wanted to install (what I actually think the OP might have seen). Say yes, and one could be in serious trouble on some routers. Now that is Draconian in my view. At least it isn't a FORCED install, but if you were new to NG routers and were NOT aware of what was going on with the F/W you might actually BRICK the router.

Message 5 of 7
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

They spend time on things like this and yet the basics of wireless, for example, are broken. 

What is wrong with this picture?? 

More of Netgear losing their way.

Firmware engineers out wandering in a forest and cannot even identify those big things are trees. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

They spend time on things like this and yet the basics of wireless, for example, are broken. 

What is wrong with this picture?? 

More of Netgear losing their way.

Firmware engineers out wandering in a forest and cannot even identify those big things are trees. 

Bill, I respectfully say you might be wrong on this specific case.

Why? Because of that specific function (I assume we're talking about the Password Recovery) is a one-way path. You enter the login credentials and you entered wrong ones. Even a non-programmer can figure out the steps to take. You determine the number of retries you allow in the design, and then after that is reached you determine what you'd access and wait for the answer. Get the right one, provide the credentials. Two bugs even in this SIMPLEST task. Didn't take into account what to do IF the user  never filled in the questions (as that part, the password recovery process and questions/answers was implemented later than many people setup the router) or the user cancelled the Login prompt (I do this occasionally as I didn't want to go there, cancel, and reenter in the browser my intended URL, usually my modem).

Wireless, well, that is not a one-size fits all situation. Many variables play into that. Besides the variety of possible settings and security types, the different devices. Don't forget other situations as well, such as number of devices active at the same time. TCP/IP flows, CPU overload, quality of the Internet connection, 'add-ons' active (QoS, Traffic Meter, IPv6, VPN, etc.) and even applications on the devices in use and varying interrupts happening (Facetime, Skype, Security camera's, Netflix, Ring Doorbells, etc.). All these are not easy to simulate the exact needs and operations of all individuals. The 'trick' in fixing something is RECREATING it. Then figuring out the fix, coding it, testing, and then regression testing it a complete firmware build. It really isn't an easy 'trick' all the time either. That is generally why Beta testers are used. However I have never been in any beta here nor do I have actual knowledge that even a limited set of people are in one, other than the call for R7000 users recently (might have been a different router?)?

Sending a fix to the lone (or a few) user reporting a specific problem only ensures it works for them. A wide beta (which now seems to be called a release) would be a better regression test.

One 'good' thing I see? Darren posted about the new R7000 f/w stating it would be rolled out to other routers soon. I'm guessing those common problems, like Access List problems, are done via a sub-routine used by all routers. Qos, Wireless pages, and most settings that were working partially are controlled via sub-routines... one fix, many router's probles solved.

Still, that doesn't mean NG isn't messed up and it seems can't code its way out of a paper bag either!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E